New boat under construction

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Commissioned a new boat from well-known local workboat builder. Putting a 1926 Universal 1-cylinder in it. Just because.

IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
JGUW5515.JPG
OQSM6639.JPG

GregV814

No..a little newer than that. This one has a carburetor and contact-point ignition, so its throttle-controlled like a "modern" 4-cycle. About 1200 RPM "red line" and 8 HP.
like many of us, when I was a mere lad, I've taken apart a bunch of old lawn mower and vertical shaft motors. the points are behind the flywheel.

Ya know.......when a flywheel key was lost/misplaced, an old rusty cut nail worked for a while, but it sure screwed up the aluminum flywheel.....

one day, after reading HotRod magazine, I decided to mill the cylinder head of an old Briggs & Stratton with a carpenters file. Well, after adding 27 gaskets because the gouges were pretty rough, I didnt see a significant HP increase. Damn!!!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can't tell from the photos, but is there any sheer (no you perverts, this is not about gender) on that hull?
Very little. Very flat bottom and little sheer. Classic Goddard working skiff for trot lining and oyster tonging; very "stiff" laterally so you can stand on and work off the washboard (gunnel).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It has less sheer than an old Browning Tri-hull. But it will be fun for an evening putt.

You going to West System it?
No West or other coating...just paint or varnish. Trying to faithfully recreate a 1920s Piney Point work skiff. Will be a trailer queen under cover most of the time.....brought to shows like St. Michaels or an occasional weekend putt.

I've collected all of the period correct hardware for it...cleats, bollard, rudder and rudder quadrant, steering wheel with wire rope pulley head, etc. All to make the final result look like a brand new 1926 work skiff. The only modern bits I snuck in are a small lawn tractor alternator and a small battery so it will have running lights and a bilge pump.

black dog

Free America
No West or other coating...just paint or varnish. Trying to faithfully recreate a 1920s Piney Point work skiff. Will be a trailer queen under cover most of the time.....brought to shows like St. Michaels or an occasional weekend putt.

I've collected all of the period correct hardware for it...cleats, bollard, rudder and rudder quadrant, steering wheel with wire rope pulley head, etc. All to make the final result look like a brand new 1926 work skiff. The only modern bits I snuck in are a small lawn tractor alternator and a small battery so it will have running lights and a bilge pump.
Sounds awesome Bill, please keep us up with progress pictures.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A foundry and machine shop business right here in Mandal Norway, called Marna, produced an engine almost identical to the one I'm putting in this skiff. Also 6HP. There are still boats running around here with them and of course they are easily spotted from the distinctive sound. Here is a cool video showing one being started. Not looking forward to that aspect of this build... ;-p

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
In the first few pics, the wood looks like new wood, fresh, clean. In later pics, the wood look old, re-used. Has it been treated with something?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In the first few pics, the wood looks like new wood, fresh, clean. In later pics, the wood look old, re-used. Has it been treated with something?

his "proprietary" mixture of linseed oil, turpentine, diesel fuel and stain. Going "all original" all the way. Topside and outside will be painted white.