New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

BernieP

Resident PIA
What happened to the Krispy Kreme that was supposed to go into the old PNC Bank bldg. across from San Succi :shrug:

Just my humble opinion, but the building isn't big enough. Krispy Kreme donuts are only great when served warm and fresh from the fryer.
If they are trucked they are just like the crap in the super market

SamSpade

I'm not even sure if that would work

Everyone wanted the commercial development crammed onto Rt 235, they've done that.
RT 235 is busy well into the evening. How's RT 5 doing? What's the draw
Businesses along 235 can draw a lunch crowd based on their proximity to Pax River.
How much of a crowd does the shopping center draw?

I didn't think the idea was for any Leonardtown establishments to count on lunch time business from PAX.
Not every area with successful restaurants depend on business like that. Most other places I've lived, restaurants depend on things like evenings, weekends and some other demographic (one I've observed is the Sunday after church crowd at places like IHOP, Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel).
When I worked for a contractor for PAX, Solomon's or Wildewood was about as far away as we might go and still expect to be back in a reasonable time.

Now that I'm way up the road a bit near DC - we might go anyplace near the Beltway, Clinton or even across the bridge in Alexandria.
So who goes to Waldorf, Rte 301/5 and all their restaurants? The people of Waldorf. I'm not gonna drive that far.

So - yeah, I think a good restaurant there COULD work so long as it satisfies a crucial demographic. (Like, I don't know, a Denny's? A Silver Diner?)
I just don't know what that is. I've been to every restaurant in the older part of Leonardtown, but a lot of that is the downtown ambiance.
You know, kind of like going to Solomon's rather than Lusby.

I know at least one place that OUGHT to make good business - and that's in the newer area near the theater. I imagine lots of kinds of eateries that are close to a theater.

I don't know WHAT would work in the McKay's/Food Lion area on Rte 5.

SamSpade

I recall the Perkin's always doing well there.

See, and that's the perfect kind of business there - we always went there late, after we'd gone to the movies.
I think something like a Friendly's kind of restaurant should have done just as well.

Now they're going to have another attempt at CiCi's, which to me is just making the same mistake twice.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I recall the Perkin's always doing well there.

So well that it went out of business

Restaurants can't survive on one meal a day or one / two days a week.
If they limit their hours of operation it's hard to keep a staff.
I wan't implying that they should get the lunch business from Pax, I was asking where their business during the day came from.
Unless you are a destination sort of place, you it helps to have businesses around you that give people an added reason for going out.

stgislander

PREMO Member
So well that it went out of business

From everything that's be said over the years about both the Leonardtown and Wildewood Perkins, including on this forum, it wasn't a lack of patronage that did them in... it was the franchise owner.

DEEKAYPEE8569

See, and that's the perfect kind of business there - we always went there late, after we'd gone to the movies.
I think something like a Friendly's kind of restaurant should have done just as well.

Now they're going to have another attempt at CiCi's, which to me is just making the same mistake twice.
Agreed.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I could not care any less about Mexican, but South American sounds very interesting.

She said "wait until you get to taste some of my Peruvian seafood dishes". I'm hungry already.

From the way she described it, the "Mexican food" angle is just so she can people in the door to try what she considers the "good stuff".

ltown81

Yeah, no one in Leonardtown is expecting people to drive from Pax to Leonardtown for lunch. Any lunch business would come from local gov or business. I worked at the hospital, which is the biggest employer in the area, and they way they do things you really can't leave the building for lunch. At least not on the norm. Plus lunch is $2 at the cafeteria.

Most Ltown restaurants are closed Monday and Tuesday, and have limited lunch service later in the week. Even the Pub does not open for lunch, which is a hint.

The place closest to a Dennys or old Perkins is Yee Olde Café in the Square, but they close for dinner. They have been there long enough I assume they do enough breakfast and lunch business.

In my mind, to do well in Leonardtown, you have to have a really good bar business like The Rex or Pub, or you have to do something unique enough to regularly pull people from the Lex Park area. Café Des Artists did this for a number of years. I think "maybe" Salsas also does this. Nothing else does however.

I didn't think the idea was for any Leonardtown establishments to count on lunch time business from PAX.
Not every area with successful restaurants depend on business like that. Most other places I've lived, restaurants depend on things like evenings, weekends and some other demographic (one I've observed is the Sunday after church crowd at places like IHOP, Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel).
When I worked for a contractor for PAX, Solomon's or Wildewood was about as far away as we might go and still expect to be back in a reasonable time.

Now that I'm way up the road a bit near DC - we might go anyplace near the Beltway, Clinton or even across the bridge in Alexandria.
So who goes to Waldorf, Rte 301/5 and all their restaurants? The people of Waldorf. I'm not gonna drive that far.

So - yeah, I think a good restaurant there COULD work so long as it satisfies a crucial demographic. (Like, I don't know, a Denny's? A Silver Diner?)
I just don't know what that is. I've been to every restaurant in the older part of Leonardtown, but a lot of that is the downtown ambiance.
You know, kind of like going to Solomon's rather than Lusby.

I know at least one place that OUGHT to make good business - and that's in the newer area near the theater. I imagine lots of kinds of eateries that are close to a theater.

I don't know WHAT would work in the McKay's/Food Lion area on Rte 5.

Hank

my war
Any info on Heritage Bar & Grill in P. Fred that took over the Old Field Inn? What kind of food? Opening date?

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yeah, no one in Leonardtown is expecting people to drive from Pax to Leonardtown for lunch. Any lunch business would come from local gov or business. I worked at the hospital, which is the biggest employer in the area, and they way they do things you really can't leave the building for lunch. At least not on the norm. Plus lunch is $2 at the cafeteria.

Most Ltown restaurants are closed Monday and Tuesday, and have limited lunch service later in the week. Even the Pub does not open for lunch, which is a hint.

The place closest to a Dennys or old Perkins is Yee Olde Café in the Square, but they close for dinner. They have been there long enough I assume they do enough breakfast and lunch business.

In my mind, to do well in Leonardtown, you have to have a really good bar business like The Rex or Pub, or you have to do something unique enough to regularly pull people from the Lex Park area. Café Des Artists did this for a number of years. I think "maybe" Salsas also does this. Nothing else does however.
Yup.....Salsa's serves from-scratch-made dishes. I went last night after going Sunday night, only to find that they're closed on Sunday's. Salsa's wasn't busy busy like I'm used to seeing there.
I also know that business there picks up as the weekend approaches.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yup.....Salsa's serves from-scratch-made dishes. I went last night after going Sunday night, only to find that they're closed on Sunday's. Salsa's wasn't busy busy like I'm used to seeing there.

you forgot the :sarcasm:

ltown81

What I meant was that Salsa's is generally considered the best Mexican restaurant down here. I know that is not saying much, but people will drive from Lex Part to it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If you're talking about the one on the corner of Airport View dr, it's a new office for the dentist. They are moving to a bigger space.

Thank you. I drive by there at least twice a day and honestly didn't even notice it until the other day! :lol:

Clem72

I eat at both Salsas and Plaza Tolteca regularly. I think it's Tolteca, the one next to the La Quinta hotel. I always get the name mixed up with Plaza Azteca which is the one across from Pax gate 1 (used to be Monterrey).

They are similar, but I feel like I get quicker service from Tolteca, they give larger portion sizes, and they often have more authentic specials like menudo or beef tongue tacos.

DEEKAYPEE8569

well I guess that depends on what you consider made from scratch. Everything, at some point, is made from scratch.
Your meal is not made from scratch after you place your order. If you believe that, you be smoking some cactus flowers.
Okay, how 'bout 'made fresh'? In the case of a Mexican restaurant, they might make actually their tortillas from scratch and keep them refrigerated and just warm them when there's an order for a dish with tortillas; Chimi's or Burritos, por exemplo. (My one year of H.S. Spanish :lol:)

All the ingredients are present in the kitchen; whether they're prepared after they're ordered (Yeah, not likely); or they're made/put together with the ingredients that are sitting in a pot staying warm on a back burner. Knowwh'I'msayin'?