New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

SamSpade

You have to be careful what you buy in the "Dollar" stores. Some items can be counterfeit and others out of date. Remember, they are getting stuff at a discount for a reason.
So read labels carefully before buying.

We buy a lot of our stuff there - but specific things. Cleaning products, for instance - how bad can a discount sponge be? Or how defective a discount light bulb?
We also buy some name brands there - toothpaste, shampoo. I often buy socks, garden tools, pool noodles, batteries there.
They have sales on name brand chips and soda the others don't.

And Dollar General has coupons for 5 dollars off a 25 dollar purchase on Saturdays - on most Saturdays.
And that's about how much I spend, anyway.

EVERY one of these cheaper stores does have a silver lining.

Restitution

Would love to see a Dave & Busters down around here. Just SOMETHING for kids to do other than rec sports! Maybe... just maybe it would help with the youth crime around here.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Would love to see a Dave & Busters down around here. Just SOMETHING for kids to do other than rec sports! Maybe... just maybe it would help with the youth crime around here.

isn't D & B more of a sports bar with some games - video game which eat $$$$?

Youth crime is not going to stop as long as people make excuses. We didn't need to get arrested for bad (inappropriate) behavior - WHEN our parents found out, we incurred more punishment than the law can legally apply. No question on guilt, the simple fact an accusation was made was good enough for mom and dad to reinforce the rules.

Restitution

isn't D & B more of a sports bar with some games - video game which eat $$$$?
Yes... it does have a bar and eating however, the policy is that anyone under 21 has to leave at a certain time. After that, it is adults only.

At least it would be SOMETHING for kids down here. A place to gather and have some fun. Would also love to see an appropriate roller skating rink around here. The LTDH is ok but it is a FAR cry from a good skating rink.

mitzi

Yes... it does have a bar and eating however, the policy is that anyone under 21 has to leave at a certain time. After that, it is adults only.

At least it would be SOMETHING for kids down here. A place to gather and have some fun. Would also love to see an appropriate roller skating rink around here. The LTDH is ok but it is a FAR cry from a good skating rink.

There used to be a nice skating rink in the 80s and 90s. Of course, I think a shopping center or store is where it was. Hyperspace was good too for middle school, early high school kids. They had bands too. Now my kids are adults I don't know what's around anymore. Is there anything for kids this age to do?

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
All these outside companies moving in...never understood why people want to change where they are to where they moved from.

SamSpade

All these outside companies moving in...never understood why people want to change where they are to where they moved from.

Well, for one thing, they didn't necessarily move HERE to "get away from it all". I initially moved her twenty plus years ago - because I could afford a house here.
I lived in Calvert and hated the fact that just to get certain things I had to go up to PF or go over the bridge into St Mary's - and that was before First Colony.

Another is - I don't know that anyone welcomes twenty stores coming when they just want ONE. But that's the way it works.
You're not going to move to the country and have a Trader Joe's sitting out in the middle of nowhere - the stores you want will only place if they see a viable market.

That said - I've lived in somewhat rural areas of PA and - lots of things were always SOMEWHERE nearby. There was always a bookstore, a roller rink, a bowling alley, an indoor pool.
Somewhere there was a mall. A ball field. Or two. A building where stuff like concerts and circuses could perform indoors. A city road wide enough to host a parade.

And towns are like that - once they reach a certain size, some things become - "automatic" - as, once it reaches 30, 40, 50 thousand - there's an expectation of things.

Hey, there's worse stuff that could happen. I've also lived in cities that are dwindling. Believe me, it's a lot worse.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Well, for one thing, they didn't necessarily move HERE to "get away from it all". I initially moved her twenty plus years ago - because I could afford a house here. (respectful snip)

Hey, there's worse stuff that could happen. I've also lived in cities that are dwindling. Believe me, it's a lot worse.

Good points, though I have been able to avoid living in any city since birth.

BernieP

Resident PIA

Let me echo what SamSpade said, people didn't move here to "get away from it all", a lot of people followed jobs, or went where the jobs were.
I don't think anyone likes the way development happened. The problem is (a) people fought the idea of development [which you can't win] and (b) the concept of a mall.
A mall would locate in one spot, with ample parking, all the shops, restaurants and theaters and cut down on the number of entrances and exits on 235.

But (c) you can't control what a developer wants to do with their land, and the sprawl is not one developer, it's several that owned the land.

Population has grown and businesses bring jobs. A lot of these jobs are for the younger people.

Speaking of businesses - had to drive down to the park the other night to drop stuff off at a friends house. Noticed that the newly renovated theater was empty, parking lot dark.
I would like to thank the gymnastics center for providing lights for the parking lot - one minor problem, it's like driving into oncoming traffic who are using high beams.
Another notable missing, the street urchins. I use to dread driving on GM road after dark because of the foot traffic that wandered into the road way.
Saw hardly a soul.

awpitt

Main Streeter
There used to be a nice skating rink in the 80s and 90s. Of course, I think a shopping center or store is where it was. Hyperspace was good too for middle school, early high school kids. They had bands too. Now my kids are adults I don't know what's around anymore. Is there anything for kids this age to do?

You're thinking of the old Skate Station. The building is still there, back off of 235 between Sheetz, AutoZone and Cheseldine Car Wash.

mitzi

You're thinking of the old Skate Station. The building is still there, back off of 235 between Sheetz, AutoZone and Cheseldine Car Wash.

Yes. Is anything is the building now? I've never noticed, just assumed it went by the way of stores.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Yes. Is anything is the building now? I've never noticed, just assumed it went by the way of stores.

It's just offices now. Smartronix used to be there before they moved to their new building in Hollywood. I can't remember who's in there now.