New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Busineess leaving soon (if not already closed and gone).
Family Dollar is going out of business - nationwide.

Mad Moon Cafe announced they were closing. Shame, can't figure out what they need to do to get a decent crowd there.
Food was pretty good, coffee, tea. While I'm normally a coffee drinker it was a nice change of pace to have some of the teas they served, or the smoothies.

No, they're just closing some stores. They only have fifteen thousand in the US. The plan is to rebrand a lot of them into Dollar Trees, which is the parent company.

They're under fire now from some quarters for not carrying salads and organic food. I never realized that there are people who consider them grocery stores.

The reality is that they're located to reflect the area's mean incomes so a Nieman - Marcus isn't going to replace any of them.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Ol DG just beat them up. More variety, more brand names, more stuff I need every day like breads and small grocery stuff.

I have to agree with that. My wife says they have items we regularly use for cheaper than anywhere else in town.

mitzi

I read somewhere that Dollar Tree owns Family Dollar. I love Dollar Tree! I hope we get one in Charlotte Hall!!!

This as soon as the one in Leonardtown FINALLY cleaned the store up. It was horrible a few months ago, you couldn't even get thru the aisles. Corporate fired all the employees, there was no help to stock. This is what I was told anyway. It's actually ok to go in there again and the new employees are friendly. Hope it lasts because I do like buying certain things there.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Yeah, they need to just "Chancelllors Run" that whole stretch. Stop allowing people to do these mad dashes across traffic to get to the lanes on the far side.

Be careful what you wish for. People making U turns can be so much more fun as they end up blocking traffic in both directions.

OldHillcrestGuy

From what I remember reading Family Dollar owns Dollar Tree, not DT owning FD. Family Dollar was only going to close around 300 of their many thousand of stores, and many are going to become Dollar Trees. Family Dollar is the 2nd largest dollar store behind Dollar General.
Yes the round about will be at Mt Wolfe and Triangle and I think there is also going to be a roundabout at Golden Beach and Triangle..

BernieP

Resident PIA
No, they're just closing some stores. They only have fifteen thousand in the US. The plan is to rebrand a lot of them into Dollar Trees, which is the parent company.

They're under fire now from some quarters for not carrying salads and organic food. I never realized that there are people who consider them grocery stores.

The reality is that they're located to reflect the area's mean incomes so a Nieman - Marcus isn't going to replace any of them.

I'm not comfortable with buying anything from those types of stores that has an expiration date.
Salads don't have a long shelf life and they aren't set up to handle that type of merchandising.

mudpuddle

You should try watching youtube. We found a great one that explained expiration dates. It is actually very complicating. In fact, it is so complicated, that in the future I am going to ignore them. I will, of course, just use my eyes when it comes to produce!
My hubby and I see things different when it comes to expiration dates. He has always thrown food out past the expiration date (products that have never been open). He would brutally clean out the refrigerator and cabinets. I get so mad at him for this. It was throwing food away for no good reason!

mudpuddle

I cringe at round-abouts, but the ones in Hughesville are no problems for me! But the traffic is horrendous on Mr. Wolf Rd and Triangle Dr. and it is very tricky driving already there. It is very congested and somewhat confusing with the Rite-Aid, WaWa, and Food Lion. We do have accidents there....don't most people find round-abouts confusing? I know I do. I'm just wondering if adding a round-about there, would make matters worse?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm not comfortable with buying anything from those types of stores that has an expiration date.
Salads don't have a long shelf life and they aren't set up to handle that type of merchandising.

I find them convenient and will purchase canned goods and frozen items. I'm not very picky when it comes to meals.

mudpuddle

I don't shop at the Family Dollar Store, or the other one in CH. But I would shop at a Dollar Tree! They are the best! They have the best selections for the best price!

Clem72

BernieP said:
I find them convenient and will purchase canned goods and frozen items. I'm not very picky when it comes to meals.

The groceries at these stores are still typically provided by distributors, not shipped through the store merchandising system. So they are very much "set up to handle" it. And the smaller shelf space means more competition for items that sell well, which means quicker turnover and a better chance to get a "fresh" product. About half the time I go shopping at McKays or Food Lion I end up with at least one product that was past the date. The only time that has happened to me at Dollar General / Family Dollar / etc. is if I am picking up an unpopular candy from the selection under the register.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Wow. This place looks like it'll do even better.

Very bottom of the menu, "Items & prices are subject to change", has no prices listed. Except for, "Double Burger 11.00".
But hey, it'll be the very best food Sysco sales reps have to offer them. Everything on the menu appears to be high profit Sysco, void of nutrition, junk. Being in the business for over 40 years like the owner has, you learn a thing or two on how to maximize profits from ignorant clientèle.