New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I have not been to Six Flags in many years. Went once and said never again! You have to pay me to go there, and 70.00 would not be enough!!!
Yeah this. It's like attending a PG County / Southeast DC social gathering that includes a majority of everyone from the underclasses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Maybe it's because they charge a "Beach Fee" that's higher than six flags admission.

I used to hang out with some friends in North Beach a lot back in the mid 70s..buddy's family had a waterfront cottage we used, just up the road a piece in Holland Point, and we kept several boats there. "Nof Beesh" was a real dive back in those days..but had some good bars and we had some great party times. You could buy a run down house a block off the main beach road back in those days for not much over ten grand. Sure has changed a lot in the last 40 years.

nobody really

I need a nap
Except it's not as expensive as Six Flags for out of County. The $19 was that fee last year. I don't know what it is for this year.
the county commissioners have decided not to sell season passes to out of county residents. I think the fee for out of county residents this year is 1,954,897.00

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hopefully my replies / responses make sense and you can figure out what they are directed to.

I noticed a number of the stores mentioned in the story were owned by the same group, in some cases mismanagement was a cause of their misfortune. I htink one such store cited was Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Malls aren't dying just because of demographics, they are losing their anchor stores, those stores which brought in customers.
To survive, they are going to have to reinvent themselves, spend money to modernize and attract people to come in.
I got to visit Mall of America and it seemed to be doing a pretty good business. But they had restuarants inside that were more upsclale than your typical food court. Nothing fancy, but sit down with some unique alternatives to the chains.
Always liked going to the mall because it was a sone stop shopping for odds and ends, books, cards, clothing, etc. Plus it was a good place to walk in foul weather. Sometimes it was just that, go for a walk and maybe a cup of coffee. Some malls actually encouraged this by opening early for walkers - before the stores were really open. Then some of the stores got the idea they could cater to those walkers by opening early.

as for the local hardware store saga - some of that could be ignorance and some could be poor advertising and hours.
To often local stores don't open early or stay open much past 5. Bankers hourse we use to call it. I understand that they want to go home, eat dinner and they don't have the staff. But that's why people are looking to the big box chain, it's not just price, it's the convience.
You are not just selling a hammer, you are also selling customer service. If that service portion is missing you can be the only store in 50 miles selling a hammer and people will drive the 50 miles.

And they are closing... http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0419/bedbathandbeyondplansstoreclosures.html

Last paragraph... "As this story was put to bed, the company continues to take a bath and what lies ahead in the future for any of the stores in our region is beyond us." :lmao:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
the county commissioners have decided not to sell season passes to out of county residents. I think the fee for out of county residents this year is 1,954,897.00
The County Commissioners have absolutely nothing to do with beach passes in North Beach. The season fee last year for out of County was $400, in County was $200. Both categories saw the highest sales ever. Overall last year there were around 38,000 paid admissions to the beach in North Beach. July 4th was the largest one day total ever at $35,000. July 4th on June 30th (the day of the fireworks) saw total admissions of around $20,000.

nobody really

I need a nap
The County Commissioners have absolutely nothing to do with beach passes in North Beach. The season fee last year for out of County was $400, in County was $200. Both categories saw the highest sales ever. Overall last year there were around 38,000 paid admissions to the beach in North Beach. July 4th was the largest one day total ever at $35,000. July 4th on June 30th (the day of the fireworks) saw total admissions of around $20,000.

ok. Someone decided not to sell season passes to out of county residents during the 2019 season. Where did you find those statistics, I can't even find the link on the prices for this year, but they are posted at the beach

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Yeah this. It's like attending a PG County / Southeast DC social gathering that includes a majority of everyone from the underclasses.

I would have used the phrase, young people with a reputaiton for resolving issues with violence, over underclasses.
The same problem plagued 6 Flags in New Jersey. Situated where it was, they would end up having rival groups show up on the same day. Usually resulting in a disagreement - sometimes an all out brawl. The shame of it is, it makes it unsafe for families of all classes with small children.
How do they restrict / control unsupervised young adults without crossing a legal line?

BernieP

Resident PIA
but we digress, don't know how we got off on poor North Beach and their fees.

Anybody here of a tennent for either the former Ruby Tuesday's or Cheeseburger in Paradise?
Long standing vacancy in Colony South parking lot - the former Capital One bank,

SamSpade

And they are closing... http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0419/bedbathandbeyondplansstoreclosures.html

Last paragraph... "As this story was put to bed, the company continues to take a bath and what lies ahead in the future for any of the stores in our region is beyond us." :lmao:

My only gripe about BB&B is - what's the compelling reason to go there?
About the only reason I ever go there or have gone there is - either I saw something on the sidewalk sale I wanted,
or somehow I found out something I was looking for happened to be in the store - like a Christmas decoration
or Ravens coffee mug. I would never just - "shop" - there, because frankly, I mostly can't figure the damned place out.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My only gripe about BB&B is - what's the compelling reason to go there?
About the only reason I ever go there or have gone there is - either I saw something on the sidewalk sale I wanted,
or somehow I found out something I was looking for happened to be in the store - like a Christmas decoration
or Ravens coffee mug. I would never just - "shop" - there, because frankly, I mostly can't figure the damned place out.
I hardly ever go there either. I may go in soon to see if I can find some bedroom curtains on sale. If not, I'll find them elsewhere.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
New Businesses in Calvert Co.

2 Scoops
78 Solomons Island Road, Prince Frederick
443-968-8670

Sawatdee Thai Seafood
13958 HG Trueman Road, Solomons
410-443-6523

Relocations

Champagne Taste Bridal
32 Cox Road, Huntingtown
443-579-4696

frequentflier

happy to be living
Amazing that a business can make money... dedicated to feeding backyard birds.
Amazing that a business can make money... dedicated to feeding backyard birds.

Since I have known her, the lady that owns the store has had three successful businesses. She has always been a bird watcher, feeder, photographer and even before opening this store, she was everyone's go to person with bird related questions! The store (s) are a perfect fit for her and I applaud Barb's success!
I have always fed birds, squirrels and whatever comes around for grub. Though I can buy a lot of bird stuff wholesale because of my business, WBU does have awesome feeders, food, fun stuff and gifts and very knowledgeable staff. I recently bought a wine pourer that chirps like a bird when you pour it! Expensive but cute!

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have always fed birds, squirrels

Isn't that redundant, damn squirrels pretty much will feed on anything. Had one living off the trash in a dumpster.
But squirrels do add an entertainment factor when it comes to protecting the bird feeders. Persistent and somewhat clever, more persistent though in trying to get at the food - hilarious results.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Isn't that redundant, damn squirrels pretty much will feed on anything. Had one living off the trash in a dumpster.
But squirrels do add an entertainment factor when it comes to protecting the bird feeders. Persistent and somewhat clever, more persistent though in trying to get at the food - hilarious results.
I have one of those round contraptions to put shelled peanuts in. I love watching the acrobatics. There are plenty of shelled and unshelled peanuts for them and bird seed. We even have a family of black squirrels that come around regularly. I love and feed them all!