New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

Indoyota

I heard from someone that there is a spot in the same plaza Hobby Lobby is. There used to be a grocery store there. One that was next to Third Eye Comics.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Did a search for local Harbor Freight jobs.
Lexington, Park, Lusby and Mechanicsville were listed as locations.

Last edited:

Tech

I heard from someone that there is a spot in the same plaza Hobby Lobby is. There used to be a grocery store there. One that was next to Third Eye Comics.
Went thru there yesterday, no sign of work and lease sign still in place. Saw a sign one was coming but can't remember where.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Is there any word on when Sweetbay in Leonardtown will be opening? I know they placed an ad for waitstaff and bartenders not to long ago. I checked on Facebook, but couldnt find any information.
As of a week ago, they were still had an ad going seeking applicants for all positions. I don't see any firm date on when they will open.
They are hoping for end of the year (2019 for you smart alecks). I'd think you would have a kitchen staff in place before getting this close to an opening.

buddscreek

a restaurant with a convence store. word in the area is that nothing will be built
until the original owner (ms. stone) is paid in full. she holds the note on the place.

glhs837

Power with Control
I love my Kobalt battery tools. Had the impact driver and drill for two years now. Just picked up the angle grinder. Not suited for a production sort of deal, but for the occasional use sort of guy like me, awesome. Rusted 1/2" bolts on the new to me polaris ATVs snowplow feet, like buttah. :)

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I love my Kobalt battery tools. Had the impact driver and drill for two years now. Just picked up the angle grinder. Not suited for a production sort of deal, but for the occasional use sort of guy like me, awesome. Rusted 1/2" bolts on the new to me polaris ATVs snowplow feet, like buttah. :)
I told folks honestly when I worked Hardware/Tools that Kobalt is (despite Lowe's adverts) a good home workshop tool, not every day commercial grade.

glhs837

Power with Control
I told folks honestly when I worked Hardware/Tools that Kobalt is (despite Lowe's adverts) a good home workshop tool, not every day commercial grade.

Yeah, if I was driving 3,000 drywall screws a day, maybe not. But that little impact driver does a good job for my needs. .

glhs837

Power with Control
I really wish QBH had used drywall screws, instead of adhesive and nails.

One of my issues with subdivisions, production speed overrules best practices sometimes. Virtually nobody with a belt fed drill-gun can keep up with a skilled guy with a hammer who sets one nail per hit.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Haagen-Dazs and Elite Jewelers to enhance guest offerings

Simon, a global leader in premier shopping, dining, entertainment and mixed-use destinations, today announced Haagen-Dazs is open at St. Charles Towne Center this fall. In addition, Elite Jewelers in now open, bolstering the center’s selection of the finest jewelry options.

Our goal is to continually enhance retail offerings for our shoppers, and we are pleased to announce these additions in time for the holidays,” said Kimberly Mallory, director of marketing and business and development for St. Charles Towne Center.

Haagen-Dazs brings new frozen dessert experiences to its customers, including distinctive flavors such as Vanilla Swiss Almond, Butter Pecan and Dulce de Leche. Haagen-Dazs was the first to introduce the world to ice cream bars for a grown up palate, with the introduction of the Haagen-Dazs ® ice cream bar line in 1986. To this day, Haagen-Dazs remains committed to developing premium frozen dessert experiences, releasing new flavors every year.

Elite Jewelers brings high-quality jewelry designs and brand names for affordable prices. At Elite Jewelers find fine qualities of GIA certified diamonds, colored precious stones and pearls. Shop the selection of diamond necklaces, bracelets, earrings, handmade Italian 18k gold and platinum jewelry, as well as name-brand watches such as Movado, Citizen and Bulova.

For more information, visit simon.com/stcharlestownecenter.

tipsymcgee

A while back there was mention of a Royal Farms going into Dunkirk area, but wondering if it's more the Huntingtown area near Cox Road where all the land is now cleared off? Calvert has been taking a hit from the locals for expansion of all the town centers and removing the major and minor distinction and just classifying them all as simply "town centers." There is also a new church proposed in the area of Cox Road but unsure if that could be it or if the church is further down Cox Road.

jrt_ms1995

View attachment 143569
On Monday, October 7, 2019 the Potomac Floral Design Studio opened its doors to Charles County. Potomac Floral Design Studio is a new full service florist and gift shop serving Southern Maryland. The ribbon cutting ceremony began at 10:00 AM attended by Jeannine James, Mayor, Town of La Plata and numerous family and friends supporting the launch of the new business. After the moving ceremony dedicating the opening of the shop to Mike's Mother, Mary Ann Burch and David's Brother Brian, guest were invited in, to shop and enjoy light refreshments.

Mike Burch and David Douglas are the shop owners and managing partners, both are natives of Southern Maryland. They open the shop with an experienced staff, bringing over 90 years of floral and gift shop experience to their customers.

Mike Burch has over 40 years of floral design experience. Mike started in the business when he was 16. He is a previous shop owner and has experience working with several large event and wedding florists in Northern Virginia. He also holds a position with the Washington Post as Production Manager where he has served for 28 years.

David Douglas has 40 years of customer service and managerial experience. David has served 30 years working at the Architect of the Capitol, Washington D.C. where he has held the position of Service Supervisor for the Senate Superintendent's Office for 13 years. Since 1984, David has worked in retail stores and his favorite: food service. Where he worked with several catering establishments and served as the Manager for two Ledo Pizza Restaurants.

Mike and David are committed to provide their customers with impeccable, personalized customer service, offer fresh and innovative floral designs and creative choices for home decor and gifts. The goal is to be your choice for all of your floral, gift and home decor needs.

They have adopted the philosophy of the great writer and poet Maya Angelou: "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel". "We want our customers to feel welcome, which is very important to us".
Hot mayor!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Went by the old Lexington Inn at the corner of Great Mills and Shangri La today, finally some light at the end of their tunnel...big banner on the wall, "Pho D'Lite coming soon."