New Businesses Coming to Southern Maryland

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
After trying to shop there the other day, I would agree.
Nobody on the floor to ask for help. Looked like only one checkout besides self service was open.
Shelves were bare in a few places. Well, maybe more than a few.
What gives?
Partially, the supply chain has breaks.
Like many of the retailers in the US, Lowe's is heavily dependent on Chinese goods.
Heard some appliance lines may not be filled back in until September.
Some stock kitchen cabinets not until August.
I am seeing a lot more "As Seen On TV" cardboard display stack outs.
I'm half expecting Lowe's to resurrect Ron Popeil.

As for help, lots of folks out on COVID leave, some terminated, others quit...quite a few call off.
Even with the unemployment figures, hiring is sketchy.
Have brought 3 new cashiers on board, all college students, all Good Hires, been mentoring them a bit.

SamSpade

Wildewood is across the street and has openings,

Wildewood has always had trouble because it doesn't have an "anchor" store worth a damn.

Until I moved to this area, I'd never heard of Belk - I figured it was a furniture store. I do shop there a bit, but only on sales
and stuff I can't get elsewhere. JCPenney's - just for men and boy's dress clothes. Otherwise there's no compelling reason for me to ever go there.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Wildewood has always had trouble because it doesn't have an "anchor" store worth a damn.

Until I moved to this area, I'd never heard of Belk - I figured it was a furniture store. I do shop there a bit, but only on sales
and stuff I can't get elsewhere. JCPenney's - just for men and boy's dress clothes. Otherwise there's no compelling reason for me to ever go there.
Prior to Belk, it was Leggit.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Prior to Belk, it was Leggit.
and Leggit was a relatively local chain.
Belk may actually be better than JCP.
JCP is a scaled down version of it's regular "mall" stores.

Wildewood also lacks a grocery store and to be complete, a "Chinese" restaurant, otherwise, it has the obligatory liquor store and dry cleaner.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
and Leggit was a relatively local chain.
Belk may actually be better than JCP.
JCP is a scaled down version of it's regular "mall" stores.

Wildewood also lacks a grocery store and to be complete, a "Chinese" restaurant, otherwise, it has the obligatory liquor store and dry cleaner.
And nail salon.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
... And Pennys was Roses.
I bought my first 91/30 from Rose's. I believe I was a wee bit hammered when I did, but they walked me to the front door, handed it to me, and watched very nervously as I walked to the truck.

SamSpade

... And Pennys was Roses.

I once asked my boss if he'd ever been thrown out of a strip joint (he's that kind of guy).
He said once - at Roses.

Some nasty stripper came near him and with her cigarette stinking and raspy voice asked "what can I do for you honey?"
He said "I'll pay you ten bucks to put your clothes BACK on". They asked him to leave.

mitzi

The Slice House is opening The Slice House II in early July. It's going to be where Big Larry's was.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was at Dennis Point Marina yesterday and met the young guy taking over the restaurant and bar. Opening up in a week or so....forgot what he said the new name was going to be. Sure would be nice if he made a good go of it. It's a great location but has had some sketchy restaurant operations over the years.