New Car Selection Help

alex

I will probably need to buy a new car at the end of this year. I have gotten great use from my existing minivan but no longer need or want a new one.

Here is my situation - I would like an economical car that I can carry my camping gear in, the dog, groceries, etc. I would like a stick cause I love to drive them. But the big problem I have is that my husband is a big guy so cars like the Toyota Matrix and the Honda Civic are out.

I was leaning towards the new Scion xB but it doesn't have any crash test ratings. My other choice was a Honda Element but it gets 10 mpg less then the Scion while having a 5 star crash rating. Any comments on these two vechicles? Any other suggestions. I would like to stay as far under 20K as I can.

dustin

UAIOE
Before I even read all of your post I was already thinking of a Scion Xb. From what I have heard they are great vehicles...with a love it or leave it body style....but otherwise great.

Whatever you do stay away from those retarded Pontiac Aztecs and their cousins...my friends parents have one and have gone through 4 trannys in 50k miles....other than the fact they are the ugliest thing on this side of the pond with 4 wheels.

Not sure how much they run, but how about a base model Dodge Magnum? You could get a V-6, but I'm not sure if you can get it in a stick or not.

What about a hybrid SUV? I think Ford is coming out/already came out with a hybrid Escape????

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
alex said:
I will probably need to buy a new car at the end of this year. I have gotten great use from my existing minivan but no longer need or want a new one.

Here is my situation - I would like an economical car that I can carry my camping gear in, the dog, groceries, etc. I would like a stick cause I love to drive them. But the big problem I have is that my husband is a big guy so cars like the Toyota Matrix and the Honda Civic are out.

I was leaning towards the new Scion xB but it doesn't have any crash test ratings. My other choice was a Honda Element but it gets 10 mpg less then the Scion while having a 5 star crash rating. Any comments on these two vechicles? Any other suggestions. I would like to stay as far under 20K as I can.

Ford Escape Hybrid?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapeh...redir=true&bhcp=1&&br=IE&ver=5.5&pfrm=Win2000

FirstClass

I love my Envoy..... it is not very economical though, but it is a great outdoor type car, load the dog up in the back and has plenty of room if your looking for something that is not too big like a tahoe or to small like an escape.

FirstClass

dustin said:
AFter posting i went to look up the escape hybrids and they start at like 26k. ouch.

that is not bad for an SUV, the thing with Escapes I have notice they don't keep there value very well you can usually find a good used on a year or two old for about $17,000. I payed a little over $30,000. for my Envoy and it is pretty standerd a couple extra's but not very much,

SuperGrover

jack of all trades

Attachments

• gal_lg_ext_1.jpg
    gal_lg_ext_1.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 114

dustin

UAIOE
She's trying to keep it under 20k...

Good luck alex...you might have better luck finding a newer used vehicle!

alex

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem I have with some is my husband can not fit in them. A lot of cars that look roomy - like a ford explorer are very tight inside. Often the dash is designed in such a way that his knees are in his chest and that is in the front passenger seat, or his head hits the ceiling. We test drove the element and xB and he fit in them fairly well.

I know I can go with a larger car but I don't want to. We have a full size truck and while I like to drive it it is a PIA to park. As for resale value that is not an issue. We drive our cars until they drop. My current car is 10 years old with over 230K miles on it. It still runs but the tranny is starting to go and it doesn't pay to replace it.

As for used - forget it. Hubby doesn't buy used cars and since I would have to live with the complaining if something went wrong it is not worth the hassle.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Your best bet is probably a Toyota Camry with a 4 cyl. Excellent economy, in a nice sized family car. And, they really have those geared for nice pep. I think you're going to come it right around $20k for one with popular options.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I went searching for SUV's over the weekend. I fell in love with the Envoy several months ago when my Stepmom bought one, but then I looked at the price tag and flipped! :shocking:

The Escape is cute and affordable around $18-24,000 depending on the "extras" you want. Blazers are pretty small inside, as is a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Have you given any thought to the Honda Pilot? :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
dustin said:
Not sure how much they run, but how about a base model Dodge Magnum
Even I know that the Magnum starts at about 22k and doesn't come in a stick...remember last week when we did the drive-thru of the Dodge dealer and I asked you why they didn't make a Magnum with a stick....:crazy:

Last edited:

alex

The Pilot is too big. I really want a Cooper Mini or better yet a Smart Car. The later is not available in this country yet. But hubby could never get into either of those.

I like the design of both the Element and the xB but then I always like to be different. We tried a VW Bug. He could get into it okay but I hated driving it. Hard to see out of the front, had to sit way too close to the dash to reach the pedals and the stick was rough.

dustin

UAIOE
Nickel said:
Even I know that the Magnum starts at about 22k and doesn't come in a stick...remember last week when we did the drive-thru of the Dodge dealer and I asked you why they didn't make a Magnum with a stick....:crazy:

Yes. And I asked you "You mean the HEMI version?" and you said "yeah." Then I explained why they only have an automatic tranny for the HEMI version. Not the rest of the engine/tranny packages. :neener:

dustin

UAIOE
alex said:
The Pilot is too big. I really want a Cooper Mini or better yet a Smart Car. The later is not available in this country yet. But hubby could never get into either of those.

I like the design of both the Element and the xB but then I always like to be different. We tried a VW Bug. He could get into it okay but I hated driving it. Hard to see out of the front, had to sit way too close to the dash to reach the pedals and the stick was rough.

What about a Suzuki Aerio SX? You can get them in all wheel drive. I've rode in one before. They drive pretty nice. And have tons of headroom. and really inexpensive too. Suzuki has gotten a lot better making their vehicles. Definately worth looking in to. linky