New Cat Person

dawn

Congrats!!
He is so cute!!!

You might consider using different litter...the finer the better.
It is all about "feel" they have to dig in the litter and then cover it.
Takes more time than just a quick squat and pee.
So, perhaps it is the texture or the odor.

I use Fresh Step and muy guys are good with their habits.

Good Luck!
:howdy:

I use fresh step as well, and we have three electric litter boxes for four cats. I LOVE the electric ones, and I am guessing my cats do too, no mess for them to step in. :lol:

Homer J

Power Chord
He's actually doing better now. I think it took some time for him to get acclimated. The first couple he just kind of sat around, slept, and pretty much ignored us. Last night, though, he was a true kitten. He was so active and funny that we just sat and laughed at his antics for about 30 minutes.

A little after midnight, I woke up to him sitting on the edge of the bed staring at me. He played around on the bed for a few minutes, then tucked in next to my shoulder and went to sleep. I think he just needed to "adopt" us.

I

Inkpen

He's actually doing better now. I think it took some time for him to get acclimated. The first couple he just kind of sat around, slept, and pretty much ignored us. Last night, though, he was a true kitten. He was so active and funny that we just sat and laughed at his antics for about 30 minutes.

A little after midnight, I woke up to him sitting on the edge of the bed staring at me. He played around on the bed for a few minutes, then tucked in next to my shoulder and went to sleep. I think he just needed to "adopt" us.

Awe............he sounds wonderful!!!

K

ketelone

We got a cat from that rescue also last year. had a really bad experience. We were looking for a cat that was good with children and we wanted a calico cat. We went to PetCo and they said they had one at the LaPlata location that would be perfect. My daughter was so excited. We drove to LaPlata and the cat was PERFECT!!! (We thought) They told us she was about 4 years old and belonged to an elderly lady that had just passed away. We adopted the cat and brought her home.

About 4 months later I noticed the cat wasn't acting like her normal self. She was trying to hide from everybody and started peeing on herself. So we took her to the vet and the vet said she was atleast 13 years old and was dying of old age.

Thanks a lot! Let me and my family get attached to a cat that we think we are going to have for a long time and then we find out they gave us a DYING cat.

I

Inkpen

We got a cat from that rescue also last year. had a really bad experience. We were looking for a cat that was good with children and we wanted a calico cat. We went to PetCo and they said they had one at the LaPlata location that would be perfect. My daughter was so excited. We drove to LaPlata and the cat was PERFECT!!! (We thought) They told us she was about 4 years old and belonged to an elderly lady that had just passed away. We adopted the cat and brought her home.

About 4 months later I noticed the cat wasn't acting like her normal self. She was trying to hide from everybody and started peeing on herself. So we took her to the vet and the vet said she was atleast 13 years old and was dying of old age.

Thanks a lot! Let me and my family get attached to a cat that we think we are going to have for a long time and then we find out they gave us a DYING cat.

hummm..Most folks take a new pet to their vet right away for a first time check up.
Sorry for you loss...

hummm..Most folks take a new pet to their vet right away for a first time check up.
Sorry for you loss...
No need to be a b!tch.

Had I adopted the cat from a rescue, I would have assumed it had a recent checkup. Don't rescues check out the animals before they place them? When we got Hunter from the pound, we did not rush to take him to the vet. We took him when it was time for shots.

I

Inkpen

No need to be a b!tch.

Had I adopted the cat from a rescue, I would have assumed it had a recent checkup. Don't rescues check out the animals before they place them? When we got Hunter from the pound, we did not rush to take him to the vet. We took him when it was time for shots.

You assume too much....
The sometimes quick turn around and the lackof any past history on many animals results in problems.
Many are fine, but not all.
Where did Hunter come from prior to landing at the pound?
How was he raised? Who cared for him?

And who is going to adopt a 14yo cat from a dead lady's family?

Better to fudge on the age so it gets a "forever" home.

Again, Buyer beware!!!!

You assume too much....
The sometimes quick turn around and the lackof any past history on many animals results in problems.
Many are fine, but not all.
Where did Hunter come from prior to landing at the pound?
How was he raised? Who cared for him?
Got Hunter from the pound in Frederick. Where did he come from? The woods/fields. He was wearing a hunting collar and smelled of skunk. Found out later he didn't like guns. Probably ran off the first time the hunter fired over him in the field. He was fixed, docked and had dewclaws (I think that's what they are called) removed. Very healthy, if stinky, dog.

And who is going to adopt a 14yo cat from a dead lady's family?

Better to fudge on the age so it gets a "forever" home.

Again, Buyer beware!!!!

Yeah, let's LIE to get what we want.

:sarcasm:

You disgust me.

CrashTest

Look at it this way. At least the cat didn't have to spend it's last months dying in a cold steel cage.

dawn

I am very sorry about your loss. :flowers:
Please dont let that discourage from getting another rescue animal.

K

ketelone

No need to be a b!tch.

The cat was a smaller cat and didn't look unhealthy. She came with her shot record and wasn't due for a check up or shots.

I

Inkpen

Got Hunter from the pound in Frederick. Where did he come from? The woods/fields. He was wearing a hunting collar and smelled of skunk. Found out later he didn't like guns. Probably ran off the first time the hunter fired over him in the field. He was fixed, docked and had dewclaws (I think that's what they are called) removed. Very healthy, if stinky, dog.

Yeah, let's LIE to get what we want.

:sarcasm:

You disgust me.

I dont care if I disgust you.
But if I do.....YEA:yahoo:

Many rescue groups do the best they can...but not all know the complete history of an animal.

A well cared for indoor cat may have the teeth of a younger cat...and that is the common means to determine age..by the teeth.

Perhaps the family lied to get the rescue group to take the cat in to adopt out as a "young" cat.

All my adopted cats are seniors, those that would have had a hard time getting a home otherwise, and as such, I accept the responsibility of their welfare and the fact they are all older, senior cats.

How old is your dog? 4? 6? 12?
Do you know?
How do you know how old an "adult" animal is?

As I said, you assume way too much...and your babbel makes no sense.

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!

13 yo is not actually old for a cat!! It's not old age it is something else. Nonetheless, it's too bad they were not correct about the age. My parents adopted seniors intentionally, they figured they would have less chance due to the age. Nothing better to know that a senior had happy last years!!!

Homer J

Power Chord
Wow! I just stumbled across this thread from 14 years ago, when we got our first cat, Maverick.We adopted a second (Goose) about a year after we got Maverick. Then a third came along (Tux) about 5 years ago. We lost Goose to kidney failure about three months ago. Maverick and Tux are both going strong.