New dog questions

jenbengen

Watch it
So after years of discussion, my family and I have agreed it's a great time to get a new family member.

We found the sweetest lab mix at one of the local rescues here. She is 6 months old. She isn't trained but her temperament is just so sweet.

So we have two indoor cats. One I can imagine being fairly easygoing with the dog. The other concerns me a bit. She is a bit of a boss.

I'm not too concerned about pup's reaction to the cats, considering she went right over to the cats at the rescue and started licking them, but I want to introduce her properly to boss kitty at home.

Any suggestions or tips on how best to do this?

We are going to crate train her. We have a split level home and will also pin off an area downstairs for pup to have her own space until she is able to freely roam the house.

Cowgirl

I'd suggest letting the kitty be mean to the pup. Teaches them early to not mess with the cats. :smile:

Pete

Repete
Have you given thought to an ill tempered, blind 15 year old terrier that craps and pees in the house? Cat wouldn't bother with that kind of dog.

TurboK9

I'd suggest letting the kitty be mean to the pup. Teaches them early to not mess with the cats. :smile:

Or it could teach the pup to hate cats, with rather nasty results to the cat once the pup hits 70 pounds...

Wrap the cats in duct tape and let the dog play with them. He'll learn to love the cats, and the cats will learn to tolerate the dog.

I promises!!

:biggrin:

Seriously. Introduce them by crating the dog and sticking the cats in the room too. That way, dog is contained, you can see his reaction tot he cats, and you can see how the cats react to the dog. Then, take it from there.

Cowgirl

Or it could teach the pup to hate cats, with rather nasty results to the cat once the pup hits 70 pounds...

I've never had an issue. :shrug: Of course we also correct the pup when he goes after the cats. Both of our young dogs learned in days to leave the cats alone. :smile:

PrepH4U

Why? I can't let an untrained dog run free in the house when I need to go somewhere. Suggestions?

Usually putting them in a pen or penned area works pretty good. I have never been able to find safety pins big enough to hold them very long :whistle:

jenbengen

Watch it
Usually putting them in a pen or penned area works pretty good. I have never been able to find safety pins big enough to hold them very long :whistle:

That's what I'm thinking. She will be with my husband and I while we are at home, but putting her in a safe area while we aren't home is the right thing to do.

wharf rat

Smilin on a cloudy day
Our cat made it clear very early who was boss.

Attachments

• 8th week 121.jpg
    8th week 121.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 91