New Driver's License Requirement?

black dog

Free America
I haven't read on what Tenn required, but both times I have moved away from Md to Indiana I had to take a vision and written test to be given a Indiana license, and the same moving back to MD.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
From what I understand, all that is required is surrendering my MD D/L at the TN DMV and they issue me a TN D/L. (I love shorthand and abbreviations).

TN has the exact same RealID requirements for documentation as does MD..because it's a Federally defined set of requirements. But waiting to go through that process there is probably not a bad idea either. It's no big deal in MD though...I made an appointment and was in and out of the Loveville MVA office in 15 minutes.

DEEKAYPEE8569

TN has the exact same RealID requirements for documentation as does MD..because it's a Federally defined set of requirements. But waiting to go through that process there is probably not a bad idea either. It's no big deal in MD though...I made an appointment and was in and out of the Loveville MVA office in 15 minutes.
I went to the Loveville office today.....took my notarized copy of my Birth Certificate hoping to get my RealID. "We cannot accept that," I was told. So I have NO F'ing clue what Birth Certificate they want to see. I don't know about this RealID requirement, but when my Brother moved to TN, all HE had to do was turn in his MD D/L and they gave him a TN D/L. Is this RealID going to follow the same procedure? (I wonder quietly to myself).

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I went to the Loveville office today.....took my notarized copy of my Birth Certificate hoping to get my RealID. "We cannot accept that," I was told. So I have NO F'ing clue what Birth Certificate they want to see. I don't know about this RealID requirement, but when my Brother moved to TN, all HE had to do was turn in his MD D/L and they gave him a TN D/L. Is this RealID going to follow the same procedure? (I wonder quietly to myself).

I'm sure they gave you more information about why they could not accept your birth certificate. Or would ahve had you asked. Never once have they failed to provide me explanations to that kind of thing.

You might be able to trade your non-compliant MD license for a non-compliant TN one... Once again, the RealID requirements are Federal, NOT state.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If you don't need to renew your license and only need to make it the New ID compliant type, there is no cost in Maryland. YOu just make an appt with your local DMV office, go in with the required documents and you'll be good to go. Thats what I did and I was in and out of the DMV in Waldorf in 8 minutes!

It cost me $20.

I'm sure they gave you more information about why they could not accept your birth certificate. Or would ahve had you asked. Never once have they failed to provide me explanations to that kind of thing.
I'll bet they told DKP that some original birth certificates cannot be used for proof. This is quite common when getting a passport. My original birth certificate with the original seal was not passport worthy, I had to get a new birth certificate. Very easy process, you can do it online from Vital Records.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'll bet they told DKP that some original birth certificates cannot be used for proof. This is quite common when getting a passport. My original birth certificate with the original seal was not passport worthy, I had to get a new birth certificate. Very easy process, you can do it online from Vital Records.
Any idea what makes the difference? I didn't have to cough mine up for my MD license...used a passport instead.

I don't know about this RealID requirement, but when my Brother moved to TN, all HE had to do was turn in his MD D/L and they gave him a TN D/L. Is this RealID going to follow the same procedure? (I wonder quietly to myself).
You're talking about two different animals here, one has nothing to do with the other. As has been stated, Real ID is a federal requirement and will need to be implemented by each state. Exchanging one license for another has to do with the ability of a state to accept or deny the transferring license. Some states simply accept the credentials and issue a new license, some force you to take a written/road test. The big thing here is whether or not TN will accept a license without being RealID verified. I'm thinking no.

However, thinking about it, TN may just say you can transfer the license, if you provide proof for RealID at the time, and issue you a license. However, you will STILL need a new birth certificate if you don't have a passport.

Last edited:

transporter

wow...look at that!!! An entire site dedicated to explaining the REAL ID process: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/realid/index.htm

It was SOOOOOO hard to find. I typed "MVA" into my search bar and MVA Read ID was one of the first options...clicking on that brought up a list of results, the first of which was the link I included above.

Isn't it amazing what you can find on the internet???

I bet if you looked REALLY hard there is a VERY similar site for the TN MVA/DMV or whatever they call it there. :rolleyes:

limblips

PREMO Member
wow...look at that!!! An entire site dedicated to explaining the REAL ID process: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/realid/index.htm

It was SOOOOOO hard to find. I typed "MVA" into my search bar and MVA Read ID was one of the first options...clicking on that brought up a list of results, the first of which was the link I included above.

Isn't it amazing what you can find on the internet???

I bet if you looked REALLY hard there is a VERY similar site for the TN MVA/DMV or whatever they call it there. :rolleyes:
I'll bet you wouldn't have to look VERY hard to find tranny making an a$$ of itself again....

DEEKAYPEE8569

It cost me $20.
Today I paid $20 for a piece of paper and a statement, "You will get you new license by mail in 10 days." So the piece of paper is to use in case you travel BEFORE you receive you new D/L.....apparently. That's how it was explained to me, today. SO starts the 10; I'm guessing work-day; wait for this new ID.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Today I paid $20 for a piece of paper and a statement, "You will get you new license by mail in 10 days." So the piece of paper is to use in case you travel BEFORE you receive you new D/L.....apparently. That's how it was explained to me, today. SO starts the 10; I'm guessing work-day; wait for this new ID.
Same as everyone else. Mine arrived when they said it would..a bit earlier than that actually. ;-)

DEEKAYPEE8569

You're talking about two different animals here, one has nothing to do with the other. As has been stated, Real ID is a federal requirement and will need to be implemented by each state. Exchanging one license for another has to do with the ability of a state to accept or deny the transferring license. Some states simply accept the credentials and issue a new license, some force you to take a written/road test. The big thing here is whether or not TN will accept a license without being RealID verified. I'm thinking no.

However, thinking about it, TN may just say you can transfer the license, if you provide proof for RealID at the time, and issue you a license. However, you will STILL need a new birth certificate if you don't have a passport.
Got a new birth certificate today. $20 TYVM.
When my Brother moved to TN he said all he had to do was turn in his MD D/L. Might have mentioned a nominal admin fee; I don't recall. I'm wondering what this new license is going to do to change things down there. Meh.....I'll climb that wall when I move down there.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Don't have a passport; don't travel outside CONUS. Never have and don't plan on it.
There's a great big amazing world out there... spent the last 32 years of my life traveling the entirety of it many times over. Back to Egypt shortly... But traveling isn't tor everyone...especially when it's endless, year after year. Everyone thinks they'd love it...few can actually hack it over the long term.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
There's a great big amazing world out there... spent the last 32 years of my life traveling the entirety of it many times over. Back to Egypt shortly... But traveling isn't tor everyone...especially when it's endless, year after year. Everyone thinks they'd love it...few can actually hack it over the long term.
Aiming for The Netherlands in the next year. :yay: