New Driver's License Requirement?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Aiming for The Netherlands in the next year. :yay:
Was in Amsterdam last fall, arriving by train from Oostende, Belgium, where I'd been working... Spent a lot of time in Vlissingen too. I really enjoy kicking back in the streetside cafe's and pubs in those old European and Scandinavian cities..

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Was in Amsterdam last fall, arriving by train from Oostende, Belgium, where I'd been working... Spent a lot of time in Vlissingen too. I really enjoy kicking back in the streetside cafe's and pubs in those old European and Scandinavian cities..
My niece just moved there. Would love to visit Giethoorn Village, also.

DEEKAYPEE8569

You're talking about two different animals here, one has nothing to do with the other. As has been stated, Real ID is a federal requirement and will need to be implemented by each state. Exchanging one license for another has to do with the ability of a state to accept or deny the transferring license. Some states simply accept the credentials and issue a new license, some force you to take a written/road test. The big thing here is whether or not TN will accept a license without being RealID verified. I'm thinking no.

However, thinking about it, TN may just say you can transfer the license, if you provide proof for RealID at the time, and issue you a license. However, you will STILL need a new birth certificate if you don't have a passport.
I went to Dept. of Health in L'town, paid 20.....25 dollars and got a new birth cert. The DMV looks for the blue border on the document. I have two "certified" copies that they would not accept; had to have that blue border. Ain't that shum sit?

GopherM

Darwin was right
I think all states are moving to licenses that are federally recognized forms of ID. When we moved to GA we had to have birth certificates, documents to prove our SSN (they accepted a valid tax return), our passport (if you have one), and proof of residence. So it was not as simple as giving them our Maryland license and getting a Georgia license. It probably depends on interstate agreements. You can probably call the Tenn. DMV or state police to make sure.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Hopefully, once your license is RealID compliant, you wouldn't have to go through the same document BS to get one in another state. BUT...I would not bet a thin dime on that!..I watched the gal scan all my documents ...and I seriously doubt that means I can roll over to VA and expect them to recognize that.

DEEKAYPEE8569

I think all states are moving to licenses that are federally recognized forms of ID. When we moved to GA we had to have birth certificates, documents to prove our SSN (they accepted a valid tax return), our passport (if you have one), and proof of residence. So it was not as simple as giving them our Maryland license and getting a Georgia license. It probably depends on interstate agreements. You can probably call the Tenn. DMV or state police to make sure.
Although it was quite a few years ago; when my Brother moved to TN, he told me all he had to do was turn over his MD D/L and they (TN DMV) issued him a TN D/L. However.....with this new REAL ID requirement, I'm pretty sure it won't be that easy. JUST my luck, I guess. /:-\

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thank you, itsbob. My license doesn't expire until AUG 2020. I'm HOPING I'll be outta MD by or before then. Then I'll only have to get a TN D/L.
The DMV clerk that helped me said, "Your license doesn't expire until next year." "You didn't need to do this NOW." I said, "I know, but somebody's telling me I have to do this ASAP." Well, 10SEP2019 was not a good day to go. It took me FOUR hours to get a piece of paper, so I can fly domestic. Don't intend to fly any time soon so it was a big waste of time.

littlelady

God bless the USA
The DMV clerk that helped me said, "Your license doesn't expire until next year." "You didn't need to do this NOW." I said, "I know, but somebody's telling me I have to do this ASAP." Well, 10SEP2019 was not a good day to go. It took me FOUR hours to get a piece of paper, so I can fly domestic. Don't intend to fly any time soon so it was a big waste of time.

It is easier to be an illegal than a US citizen. We got it done in January. It was a pain in the butt, but we gotter done. Sorry for your trouble. :huggy:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Thanks littlelady. I'd explain the real reason this was an unnecessary PITA, but I don't know if the person who offered the unsolicited "advice" is on the forums.

nutz

Hopefully, once your license is RealID compliant, you wouldn't have to go through the same document BS to get one in another state. BUT...I would not bet a thin dime on that!..I watched the gal scan all my documents ...and I seriously doubt that means I can roll over to VA and expect them to recognize that.
Come on, think about that for a moment. When I first got a Md. License I had to bring the same stuff to prove I was me, now I have to bring that stuff to the same agency to reprove its me. When I did , the clerk asked if I was a veteran and I said yes. He asked for proof and I showed my ID. His reply was that they only accept a DD214. Turns out the policy is only at his window.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Although it was quite a few years ago; when my Brother moved to TN, he told me all he had to do was turn over his MD D/L and they (TN DMV) issued him a TN D/L. However.....with this new REAL ID requirement, I'm pretty sure it won't be that easy. JUST my luck, I guess. /:-\

That was probably true several years ago but since then the federal ID requirements have changed causing states to adopt new rules to prove positive identity to acquire a driver's license or state-issued identity card. Some of it has to do with making the cards more difficult to counterfeit. We were lucky enough in Georgia that we tried to get new tags for the cars before we went to the DMV for licenses (different locations here...tags from the county office, license from state police DMV). You have to have a DL here before you can get tags and the young lady at the tag office told us exactly what documentation we needed to gt our DLs. We took everything she said we needed and breezed through.

So, contact the DMV in Tenn and find out EXACTLY what you need to bring. If you do it by email, print out the email or take a hard copy of the correspondence with you along with everything you have been told you will need. You may still be told you need more when you get there but having copies of what you were told you needed may make them a little more polite.

DEEKAYPEE8569

That was probably true several years ago but since then the federal ID requirements have changed causing states to adopt new rules to prove positive identity to acquire a driver's license or state-issued identity card. Some of it has to do with making the cards more difficult to counterfeit. We were lucky enough in Georgia that we tried to get new tags for the cars before we went to the DMV for licenses (different locations here...tags from the county office, license from state police DMV). You have to have a DL here before you can get tags and the young lady at the tag office told us exactly what documentation we needed to gt our DLs. We took everything she said we needed and breezed through.

So, contact the DMV in Tenn and find out EXACTLY what you need to bring. If you do it by email, print out the email or take a hard copy of the correspondence with you along with everything you have been told you will need. You may still be told you need more when you get there but having copies of what you were told you needed may make them a little more polite.
My Brother said changing license and tags wasca breeze compared to MD. I believe it. /:-/