New Eye Exam/Glasses/Contacts

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So I had a big spending moment recently as I had my eye exam and bought new glasses. It's a bad time fiscally for me to be having this kind of out of pocket expense, but I shopped around for the best prices. Also after discussing some things with my husband, I wanted to share some information.

For me personally, it is cheaper to pay out of pocket for an eye exam/glasses/contacts than it is to carry "eye care insurance" and pay my additional co-pays.

A complete eye exam at Target will cost $89. To have your eyes dialated it costs an extra $20.

You can get name brand contacts and glasses at BJs without having a membership card. Contacts are $10 to $15 cheaper per box and glasses with lens are way cheaper than anywhere else I've ever been.

So, if you are blind like me, and need an eye exam, don't skip it just because of the sequester. You can shop around and get better prices for your eye care and cut your regular costs in half.

Also price check and see if it's worth it to you to carry your company's eye care insurance. In some cases (the out of pocket cost total versus co-pays and paycheck fees for the insurance) it's not worth it.