New Foal is here!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Our paint pony mare Cinnamon had her foal about 12pm tonight! Thank heavens we got the run constructed off her stall over the weekend 'cause the other pony and horses went nuts!!! We actually had to catch and put them in the front pasture so the mare could relax. The foal was up immediately and has already passed meconium a couple times now and is eating and even trotting about. I shoveled up a bunch of... afterbirth... for lack of a better word. I have no idea if it's the sack the foal came in or the placenta. I hope the vet can figure it out through all the sand and leaves in it tomorrow. I'm going out to see if she passed the placenta again right now. That foal was soaking wet and just scrambling to his feet when I first went out so I doubt what I picked up was placenta.
I didn't see the actual birth, I heard the neighing and the dog barking and went to investigate. Complete pandemonium, I had no idea the other horses and pony would be so aggressively interested in the foal. Even to the point of pawing and striking the new run fence! Momma was kicking at them through the no-climb fencing and dashing about. Our barn is in the big pasture and our horses have rear entry to their stalls and come and go as they please, it took me and hubby forever to catch them, they were crazy! Lathered up and galloping around in the dark. I don't have any pictures yet, my camera is charging. More soon! Sorry this is so rambling I'm crazy tired....

On edit: This is the only pic of momma I have on this computer, the foal is a paint with the same coloring. The pic was taken with my cell phone when I first went to look at her prior to purchasing. I saved her from living in a junkyard.

Attachments

• Cinnamon pony.jpg
    Cinnamon pony.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

BeenSpur'd

I love her wild,wild hair
Beautiful momma, but :worthless of the foal.
The momma reminds me of my old black and white pinto pony who is buried on the farm. Can't remember his name this morning for some reason. (CRS today) looking forward to seeing the foal. Congrats Sonsie!!

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Here she is! No time to chat, I have a million things to take care of before the vet gets here.

Attachments

• Filly 1.jpg
    Filly 1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Filly 2.jpg
    Filly 2.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Filly Scamper.jpg
    Filly Scamper.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 137

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
She is the dearest little creature, all flippy tailed and sassy already. Her rump only comes up to my kneecap! She couldn't weigh more than 20 lbs and tried to kick me when I was treating her cord. :roflmao:

TCF42

yeeeeeee!
Yeah mom looks like a Silver Bay, and it looks like the babe could be carrying silver too but who knows with the foal coat. Too cute Sonsie! Do you know what breed mom is?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Yeah mom looks like a Silver Bay, and it looks like the babe could be carrying silver too but who knows with the foal coat. Too cute Sonsie! Do you know what breed mom is?

No unfortunately I don't. She wasn't registered and the lady I bought both ponies from was just using them for extra income as birthday party ponies. She had the entire mob of them in what amounted to a junkyard. But they were sweet, pretty and docile and I wanted a couple gentle ponies for the kids. We didn't even know if they were bred, she mentioned that they might be only after we haggled out a price. The knucklehead had them running loose with a cute paint mini stud. Only the paint took thankfully.

As far as color goes she is kind of a grulla or mouse colored. When she isn't furry as a yak in summer she is quite dappled and it's very striking. I found a site here that has a mare that is a dead ringer for mine and they call it Silver Dapple Tobiano for whatever that's worth.

On edit: Here is another they call a silver dapple that seems to be about the mare's same base color.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
if she's silver dapple, she's a black horse with the silver and dapple genes which makes her look grulla or mousey colored (called chocolate), like this little mare seems to be.

the dapples are created by a gene that is separate from silver, and are influenced by diet, overall health and sun bleaching, like on palominos. many palominos carry the dapple gene.

silver bay is a bay horse with the silver gene. they have a body the same color as a straight bay, just the mane/tail are lightened, and the lower legs look chocolatey.

was the sire silver dapple? with silver the silver gene, you have to worry about double silvers and an eye disorder called ASD.

here is a pic of a silver dapple (black silver) with noticable dapples in front and - a silver bay (the reddish looking filly) is walking behind him. you can't really see it in the pix, but her lower legs are the same color as the silver dapple colt in front, because they are black, like on a bay horse. silver doesn't affect bay/brown or red, only black. that particular true silver bay filly in the back, doesn't have the dapple gene.

Attachments

• yearling-pic.jpg
    yearling-pic.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
if she's silver dapple, she's a black horse with the silver and dapple genes which makes her look grulla or mousey colored (called chocolate), like this mare seems to be.
the dapples are created by a gene that is separate from silver, and are influenced by diet, overall health and sun bleaching, like on palominos. many palominos carry the dapple gene.
silver bay is a bay horse with the silver gene. they have a body the same color as a straight bay, just the mane/tail and lower legs look chocolatey.
was the sire silver dapple?

The filly's miniature sire looked to be a straight up brown and white paint. I'll try to get more more pics in better light today.