New food pyramid

MikeyBash

the wall street journal had an article the other day about the new, revised food pyramid the government's working on. the thing that amazed me, aside from the silly idea that we need the government to tell us what to eat with cute pictures, is how involved the varous food lobbies are.

The meat producers want the recommendations to include more meat. The grain lobby likes the way it is, heavy on starch and carbs. the sugar indusry is fighting the "use sparingly" recommendation since sugar is a food (unlike artifical sweeteners). and, of course the powerful dary lobby wants to increase the recommended servings of milk and cheese.

So what the government tells us to eat depends more on politics that making us healthy. Maybe that's why Americans have gotten so fat while the Food Pyramid has been agressivly preached in schools.

If the government has not business in our bedrooms, they certainly don't belong in our kitchen either.

And don't get me started on low-flow toilets!

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
MikeyBash said:
And don't get me started on low-flow toilets!

I have many opinions on many aspects of recommended guidelines for nutritional intakes. I'll leave them in my back pocket for now.

What I would like to say, is that for no purpose, whatsoever, will I have a low-flow toilet when I own my own home. I take most things fairly well, but those things - low-flow comodes - have a way of driving me over the edge!

So strange as to what can really pluck our "special" nerve.

Last edited:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I'm not a nutritionist, but I do know, without referring to a "pyramid," what constitutes a balanced diet. For those of us with commonsense (yes I know, an increasingly rare commodity these days), the food pyramid can have whatever it wants but we know what's appropriate from a dietary/nutrition point of view.

FOLLOWING what we know might be a different story, but that's another issue.

Low-flow toilets: GRRRRRRRRRRRR

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I could never figure out what's the point of low-flow toilets when you have to flush them 2 or 3 times anyway. It's like all these enviro-nutties check their common sense at the door or something.

And Mikey, you're exactly right about who determines the food pyramid. This is why it's not a good idea to give government too much authority.

Hot N Bothered

Low-flow toilets suck!

As for the food pyramid...

I don't know why the goverment has anything to do with it. Yes, there needs to be some visual representation of nutritious habits, some sort of consistant model to teach children and "others." I know the government uses the pyramid in some assistance programs, WIC vouchers for example, are based on it, but are they really the best people to be writting it? or should they be adopting the model created by some professional society of nutritionists?

Pete

Repete
Maybe the FDA is trying to regulate diets so that you will only have to flush the low flow once? :shrug: Less poopy

willie

There is a direct correlation between the food pyramid and low flow toilets. It was no coincidence that the pyramid became top heavy in fiber with the introduction of the low flow toilet. It's some kind of a vast conspiracy with the farmers and plumbers.

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
willie said:
There is a direct correlation between the food pyramid and low flow toilets. It was no coincidence that the pyramid became top heavy in fiber with the introduction of the low flow toilet. It's some kind of a vast conspiracy with the farmers and plumbers.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
The old food pyramid worked. Look at the people around you, quite a few of them now have a pyramid shape from their neck down to their hips :lmao: