New Frigate Contract

Bonehead

The LNG tanker that I was on had individual staterooms, refrigerator, desk, video and audio, shared head between two rooms.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Anybody giving odds that the USN doesn't screw this up? As Captains (O-6) jockey for flag rank, Admirals jockey for post-career cushy gigs coming up with whatever the new jingle/shiny object is this week?

I ain't saying the Navy is unique here; the Army has been screwing up their future equipment buys for decades.

--- End of line (MCP)

stgislander

PREMO Member
Anybody giving odds that the USN doesn't screw this up? As Captains (O-6) jockey for flag rank, Admirals jockey for post-career cushy gigs coming up with whatever the new jingle/shiny object is this week?

I ain't saying the Navy is unique here; the Army has been screwing up their future equipment buys for decades.

--- End of line (MCP)
Well they did add an additional 300 tons of steel to the design. I bet it's not the last.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lessee......with so many successful capital ship projects over the las two decades,what could go wrong?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
The expected cost of $800 mill for 2-20 will no doubt be increased, just because.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My guess would be the stretched 110' Island class cutters built by Bollinger.
Those were a mess. Heck..even the original design was weak...unless you were honest and recognized it was a 20-year service design and not a month longer..

Gummie

Which ones is that?
Believe it was 90's. Think Northrop Grumman was the bidder. The first ones off the line according to reports were deemed not seaworthy. I was headed to NAS Jax for a conference and was seated on the plane next to a Cogard Captain, she didn't want to talk about them.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Believe it was 90's. Think Northrop Grumman was the bidder. The first ones off the line according to reports were deemed not seaworthy. I was headed to NAS Jax for a conference and was seated on the plane next to a Cogard Captain, she didn't want to talk about them.
As far as I remember..the only USCG build program of any significance in the 90's was the Island Class 110' cutters. A Vosper hull design...I was working with the Vosper (UK) project manager on some other projects at the same time.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

--- End of line (MCP)
Amen to the Army.. they've scrapped program after program after dumping Billions into them.. still have civilians that have never served, or former officers that spent maybe 18 months of their entire career on the equipment, making design decisions.. when soldiers first get their hands on them they all say "What the hell were they thinking??"

AF learned the hard way, get the end user involved at the beginning, have their input at the design/ pre-build phase, not after you've built it.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Amen to the Army.. they've scrapped program after program after dumping Billions into them.. still have civilians that have never served, or former officers that spent maybe 18 months of their entire career on the equipment, making design decisions.. when soldiers first get their hands on them they all say "What the hell were they thinking??"
Yup. The Bradley replacement, the Crusader SP howitzer, the various light tanks, the Stryker upgrades, the new attack helicopter.... Mess after mess. It would pain me to much to go on.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yup. The Bradley replacement, the Crusader SP howitzer, the various light tanks, the Stryker upgrades, the new attack helicopter.... Mess after mess. It would pain me to much to go on.

--- End of line (MCP)

In remember in 1985 some Civie was touring around Ft Carson asking the troops what could be done to Improve the M901 ITV ..... my smart ass asked

' Can We Get A Window '

🤣