New home gym

TurboK9

Picked up a new home gym (Weider) over the weekend. My arms and chest are flipping killing me this morning... but after almost 10 years of not being able to lift because of my back, it hurts so goooood..... :lmao:

Amazing how much easier it is not to hurt yourself with a machine as opposed to free weights. I did a full upper body circuit X2 with no back discomfort. :yay:

I like my new machine. Now if I can just stick to it!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Picked up a new home gym (Weider) over the weekend. My arms and chest are flipping killing me this morning... but after almost 10 years of not being able to lift because of my back, it hurts so goooood..... :lmao:

Amazing how much easier it is not to hurt yourself with a machine as opposed to free weights. I did a full upper body circuit X2 with no back discomfort. :yay:

I like my new machine. Now if I can just stick to it!

Yeah but, part of that problem is people insist on going too big with free weights instead of focusing on proper technique and only working with a weight than can properly handle. I would argue that free weights, done properly, are better because proper technique makes you develop supporting muscles in ways machines don't.

However, good for you no matter what you are doing!

TurboK9

Yeah but, part of that problem is people insist on going too big with free weights instead of focusing on proper technique and only working with a weight than can properly handle. I would argue that free weights, done properly, are better because proper technique makes you develop supporting muscles in ways machines don't.

I used to be wicked into it... My arms are about 1/2 the size of what they were ten years ago and I'm not a small guy by any means.

My problem with the free weights is that ever since I effed my back up, I can't consistently press my lumbar into the bench flat. If I get even a tiny 'twinge' while I'm pressing weight, I overreact and *crackle* I'm done.

My new machine you press in a sitting position, and the bench angle is perfect for me to keep my back in proper position. I don't even have to think about it. We'll see what happens as the weight goes up in time, but I don't foresee problem. :yay:

Cracks my wife up that I feel tiny... I'm 6'3" 220. :lmao:

xobxdoc

I used to be wicked into it... My arms are about 1/2 the size of what they were ten years ago and I'm not a small guy by any means.

My problem with the free weights is that ever since I effed my back up, I can't consistently press my lumbar into the bench flat. If I get even a tiny 'twinge' while I'm pressing weight, I overreact and *crackle* I'm done.

My new machine you press in a sitting position, and the bench angle is perfect for me to keep my back in proper position. I don't even have to think about it. We'll see what happens as the weight goes up in time, but I don't foresee problem. :yay:

Cracks my wife up that I feel tiny... I'm 6'3" 220. :lmao:

I had a herniated L5/S1 disc that made my life miserable until I got my own traction device. The first month, I used the device every day and all the pain went away. I maybe use it once a year now. I'm back to my usual free weight routine except I don't do squats anymore.

TurboK9

I had a herniated L5/S1 disc that made my life miserable until I got my own traction device. The first month, I used the device every day and all the pain went away. I maybe use it once a year now. I'm back to my usual free weight routine except I don't do squats anymore.

My issue is similar... due to shattering L5, it is no longer held in place as it should be, so any hyperextension of the lower back can cause a 25%+ displacement off of S1 (basically satge 2 spondylolisthesis). It's actually been bad enough in the past to effective render my lower extremities useless. Traction didn't do much for me, but developing core strength :yay: really helps. As long as I don't over do it I'm fine now. Except for lifting when I lay flat... seems to have much to do with spinal tortion forces as one balances the free weights, and a natural tendency to arch the back as a result of subconcious over compensation when the body tries to protect itself.

I'm OK with free weights as long as I have a spotter on my lower back but I don't have the luxury of a reliable spotter every time I want to work out. :shrug:.

My biggest concern right now is my machine tops out at 274 lbs for the press and it shouldn't take long for me to max it out. Then maybe I'll look at adding a smith machine and free weights. Those are pretty pricey though compared to the plate machines.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I would argue that free weights, done properly, are better because proper technique makes you develop supporting muscles in ways machines don't.

:yeahthat: I, personally, would go the free weight route... but something is better than nothing. :buddies: