New light route 4 PF

catlingirl

Anyone know what’s up with the new light on route 4 between Walmart and Dares Beach Road.? It just seems like a weird place to have it.

corollinout

There is going to be an access road from that light back to the Safeway shopping center. Widen RT4 to help with traffic, but add a light in the middle of two lights 1/4 mile away from each other.....great planning.

GregV814

Well, didja notice the driveway cut out in front of the armory on n/b 4??? Maybe for the planned affordable housing units to be built on the armory site??? Another 4-5 hundred cars??

TPD

the poor dad
The timing of the traffic lights in PF is the worst I’ve seen. At least from the standpoint of driving a dump truck. Not looking forward to this new light. That will really screw up the timing even more.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ok cool thanks. Maybe it’ll help with the accidents that always seem to happen in front of Walmart.
I almost got T-boned in front of Walmart about a month ago. I was waiting patiently in the middle of the turn lane/crossover to go across to Walmart and it was bumper to bumper traffic. When it came to a stop, the two lanes both left me a space to cross the road, as they are supposed to do. I took it a little slow, making sure both of them intended to stay at a complete stop and when I made it to the other side - a dang car was speeding up the side of the 2 lanes -and nearly T-Boned me. I was just lucky, because I couldn't have seen him coming. He had to actally fishtail to his left in front of those other 2 lanes to avoid hitting me. Thankfully, it was a smaller vehicle, and could do that.

People drive like *******s up and down Rt. 4 - especially through that area. I'm pretty sure this person was impatient and decided to just make it a 3rd (right turn) lane all the way up to Rt 231. However, the road is designed like crap, too! There is a right turn lane into the Walmart parking lot which starts around the RozRan/Florist building. (I think). BUT, it ends where the crossover is to allow for the left turns into Walmart. The 3rd right turn then starts up again after that as soon as you get past the crossover. It's great having that 3rd lane, but people are driving like bats out of hell and that intersection sucks.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
The timing of the traffic lights in PF is the worst I’ve seen. At least from the standpoint of driving a dump truck. Not looking forward to this new light. That will really screw up the timing even more.

I understand what you're saying, but it will also alleviate some of the *******ry driving of people driving thru PF during their commutes. I get that it sucks to commute long distances to and from work, and parts of Rt. 4 are wide open, but it's not an Interstate highway. :lol:

Grumpy

It's great having that 3rd lane, but people are driving like bats out of hell and that intersection sucks.

That's the passing lane, cars in the southbound 2nd and 3rd lanes typically are doing 40/45..the far right 3rd lane is 65/70..

nobody really

I need a nap
a coworker swears he read an article where they are putting a shopping center with a box store on that corner, across from safeway. no link, he can't remember where he read it. can't find anything on it. hoping its b.s.

Chris0nllyn

a coworker swears he read an article where they are putting a shopping center with a box store on that corner, across from safeway. no link, he can't remember where he read it. can't find anything on it. hoping its b.s.

From what I recall, it was dicsussed (adding a big box store here), but the residents balked at the idea.

Here's the recent report on what the County is calling "Armory Square Town Center" (see section 2.9, page 30).

Basically a huge area with townhomes, apartments, retail space, hotel, and office space. Also a playground, market, pavilion, theater, and even an ice rink!

The former Middle School site, at the intersection of Route 2/4 and Dares Beach Road, and the iconic National Guard Armory give the county an opportunity to create a centrally located focal point for the town center – a heart to the community. A realignment of Chesapeake Boulevard to avoid wetlands crossing and connecting with Steeplechase Drive and Armory Road would bring local traffic from the loop road to the north directly into the new town center.

The former middle school site could become a new town center for Prince Frederick. Restoring and re-using the Armory provides an iconic building to frame a town formal green. This would be an active civic space with lawn and paved areas, farmer’s market pavilions, a playground space and more. The paving on the streets would be similar to the decorative paving of the plaza areas. This will slow through-traffic and provide opportunity to close side streets if a larger space is necessary for large gatherings and events.
http://www.co.cal.md.us/DocumentCenter/View/5102/PF-Town-Center-Charrette-Report-Draft-Dec-17-2013-compressed?bidId=

The county is also mulling over putting the new $42 million county admin building on Armory Road.

Hank

my war
From what I recall, it was dicsussed (adding a big box store here), but the residents balked at the idea.

Here's the recent report on what the County is calling "Armory Square Town Center" (see section 2.9, page 30).

Basically a huge area with townhomes, apartments, retail space, hotel, and office space. Also a playground, market, pavilion, theater, and even an ice rink!

http://www.co.cal.md.us/DocumentCenter/View/5102/PF-Town-Center-Charrette-Report-Draft-Dec-17-2013-compressed?bidId=

The county is also mulling over putting the new $42 million county admin building on Armory Road.

The Commissioners are Idiots. Every single one of them....

catlingirl

If they close the crossover on Rt4 for Main St. may make some sense. Force them to use the new controlled intersection at Commerce Ln.
Is that the one between commerce and Dares beach? If it is I hope they do close it.

Hank

my war
Is that the one between commerce and Dares beach? If it is I hope they do close it.

That one is terrible! Especially when they opened the third lane. People would let other peeps cross over during a red light. Meanwhile someone that is turning right on Dares is cruising in that third lane with the person crossing being oblivious to it...Dangerous situation right there.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That one is terrible! Especially when they opened the third lane. People would let other peeps cross over during a red light. Meanwhile someone that is turning right on Dares is cruising in that third lane with the person crossing being oblivious to it...Dangerous situation right there.
Anyone remember all the hoopla and fanfare, the acquisitions, etc., of the super duper traffic problem solver the Prince Frederick Loop Road was supposed to solve and relieve? Like the traffic congestion on RT 4? Which by the way, after over 20 years, still has not been completed. Actually 30 years ago when it was adopted into the Prince Frederick Master Plan. Might as well start calling Prince Frederick, Waldorf. Because that is what it will become.

Hank

my war
If I may ...

Anyone remember all the hoopla and fanfare, the acquisitions, etc., of the super duper traffic problem solver the Prince Frederick Loop Road was supposed to solve and relieve? Like the traffic congestion on RT 4? Which by the way, after over 20 years, still has not been completed. Actually 30 years ago when it was adopted into the Prince Frederick Master Plan. Might as well start calling Prince Frederick, Waldorf. Because that is what it will become.

Yeah, and the signs say this project will be done by the end of Summer. Yeah right!.... Sorry, the county is way too inept to become a Waldorf.