new liquor tax

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
First I have heard of it, but Maryland lawmakers are pondering a ten cent per drink tax on cocktails, I guess in bars? I wonder how that will work?

T

toppick08

Beats a tax on food(at the grocery store)....which will be next........:whistle:

About time, since the last was in the 50's and early 70's......jmo.

First I have heard of it, but Maryland lawmakers are pondering a ten cent per drink tax on cocktails, I guess in bars? I wonder how that will work?

"Supporters estimate the tax would raise about $200 million and save lives by helping to reduce alcohol abuse."

:jet:

$200 million is just about enough to cover annual home improvements on the governor's mansion... and true alchoholics are not wasting their money on high cost mixed drinks by the glass... dumbazzes...:lol:

Md. alcohol tax supporters push dime-a-drink tax - wtop.com

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
"Supporters estimate the tax would raise about $200 million and save lives by helping to reduce alcohol abuse."

:jet:

$200 million is just about enough to cover annual home improvements on the governor's mansion... and true alchoholics are not wasting their money on high cost mixed drinks by the glass... dumbazzes...:lol:

no kidding :killingme if they want to help..tax fifths of cheap whisky..and plastic bottles of E and J

Pete

Repete

Many states already do this. When I worked in the bar business many years ago in TN you had to buy your bar stock from bonded distributors. They collect the per shot tax up front when you purchase the bottle. A liter bottle yields 22 shots, 10 cents per shot = $2.20 tax on each bottle. If that liter costs $20 it now costs $22.20. If your bartender over pours, spills or drops and breaks a bottle it is too bad for the bar owner.

bulldog

It'll raise money, but doubt it will save any lives.
You and your buddies are going out for drinks. You drink (insert whatever here) that cost 6.50 per drink and you're going to have, say...3 drinks. That's 19.50 for your drinks and a good night out with your buds. Do they really think anyone is going to NOT do that over an additional .30 cents?
"Nope, sorry guys, I could afford the 19.50, but at 19.80 I'm staying home tonight".

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
What's the difference between prison and work? In prison you can't wait to get away from the bars to go back to work. At work you can't wait to get away so you can get back to the bars.:buddies:

Animal

I eat red meat
You and your buddies are going out for drinks. You drink (insert whatever here) that cost 6.50 per drink and you're going to have, say...3 drinks. That's 19.50 for your drinks and a good night out with your buds. Do they really think anyone is going to NOT do that over an additional .30 cents?
"Nope, sorry guys, I could afford the 19.50, but at 19.80 I'm staying home tonight".
It's a redistribution of wealth from the server to the state.

3M3tib

The first dime buys you a new battalion of people to "administer" the tax. Also, a $10million "study" that will last a year and come back with a finding that they can get away with charging 50 cents extra a shot with some sort of annual escalator tied to no more than three times the increase of the consumer price index.

glitch

Devil's Advocate
There's already a $.02 tax in place (lowest in the country), which not very many people are aware of. I can't see an extra $.08 as anything to worry about. However, I also can't see it producing anything meaningful in the way of revenue for the government.

bulldog

The first dime buys you a new battalion of people to "administer" the tax. Also, a $10million "study" that will last a year and come back with a finding that they can get away with charging 50 cents extra a shot with some sort of annual escalator tied to no more than three times the increase of the consumer price index.

Of course they can get away with it. Even at .50, given my scenario is only a buck fifty more per outing. The people who go out for drinks (in most instances) are not going to stop going over an extra 1.50 per outing.

Those who collect the tax are already in place. An alcohol beverage tax has been in place in Maryland since the end of prohibition in 1935. An increase won't add one new job.

slowlane

Maryland has 5.8 million people. 75% or 4.3 million are over age 18. So each adult Marylander must buy about 460 drinks, at 10 cents tax on each, to equal $200 million in taxes (although the 460 could be adjusted to account for some drinkers being from out-of-state).

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
The revenue from all the liquor stores just on Great Mills Road should cover the state budget! Since a lot of that money is subsidized, wouldn't the state be paying itself??? :dye:

Maryland has 5.8 million people. 75% or 4.3 million are over age 18. So each adult Marylander must buy about 460 drinks, at 10 cents tax on each, to equal $200 million in taxes (although the 460 could be adjusted to account for some drinkers being from out-of-state).

Wow. I guess they should have thought of that BEFORE they banned smoking in bars, huh? :ohwell:

bulldog

Wow. I guess they should have thought of that BEFORE they banned smoking in bars, huh? :ohwell:

You think that ban made a difference? I'm no longer a smoker, so I don't know, but can tell you my thoughts are that the folks who want to go out for a drink...or 10 are going to go out even if they can't smoke in the bar. I have asked several of the local joints how the ban has impacted them and most have said "not at all".

RPM

i wish we could just hurry up and get to the point that you work, the government takes all your money, and just gives you what they think you need.

this would be much better than the current system that takes 60-70% of our money and leaves us thinking we actually make a living.