New Maryland Dove arrives SMC this Saturday

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We plan on watching her come up the river Saturday morning from one of our boats. My elderly mother (family historian with all the info on our family connection to the Ark and Dove) wants to see the vessel but won't be up to making the festivities at St. Mary's City.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I saw it when I was at the museum at the Eastern Shore last month. I had no idea there was a new one being built!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I saw it when I was at the museum at the Eastern Shore last month. I had no idea there was a new one being built!
I had a private tour of the hull under construction a little over a year ago. The chief architect, Iver Franzen, is a good friend of mine (and will be coming in with the vessel and participating in a discussion panel Sat afternoon). I wish we could attend the ceremonies Saturday but we've got extended family staying here at the compound over the weekend and Mom is in no shape to be trying to get around the waterfront over at SMC.

black dog

Free America
I had a private tour of the hull under construction a little over a year ago. The chief architect, Iver Franzen, is a good friend of mine (and will be coming in with the vessel and participating in a discussion panel Sat afternoon). I wish we could attend the ceremonies Saturday but we've got extended family staying here at the compound over the weekend and Mom is in no shape to be trying to get around the waterfront over at SMC.
Word on Air B&B are, those leasing on the island need a fresh tetanus and #8 shade sunglasses.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
We followed her out from Dennis Pt Marina. She should have arrived at St. Mary's City by now. Beautiful sight..and lots of "VIPs" on board too.

A huge flotilla of boats was waiting for her to show in the St. Mary's River. They were all corralled in to the USCG cove by USCG, NRP and fire dept boats. We avoided all that by running in to Dennis Pt. Marina.

The main purpose of our up-close visit was to get my elderly mother a close up view...and when the Maryland Public Television folks discovered that she was a descendant of the Ark and Dove settlers, they immediately set up camera and recorded an interview of her. She was thrilled beyond measure. Made it worth all the trouble and effort we had to go to to get her on our boat in the first place...an effort made more difficult because the tide was low.

lower res 2.jpg
lower res.jpg

Last edited:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The main purpose of our up-close visit was to get my elderly mother a close up view...and when the Maryland Public Television folks discovered that she was a descendant of the Ark and Dove settlers, they immediately set up camera and recorded an interview of her. She was thrilled beyond measure. Made it worth all the trouble and effort we had to go to to get her on our boat in the first place...an effort made more difficult because the tide was low.
That is way cool.... :yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
One of my neighbors is crew....
My marine engineering company donated the effort to get the last Dove USCG certified. Did the stability tests and analyses...the stability booklet etc. As payment for that, we all were granted "VIP" status. That got us invites to private sailing "cruises" on the vessel, with other VIP sponsor members.

I did one of those cruises. And only one. Fawk me..I never worked so hard to sail a vessel such a short distance in me life!

glhs837

Power with Control
My marine engineering company donated the effort to get the last Dove USCG certified. Did the stability tests and analyses...the stability booklet etc. As payment for that, we all were granted "VIP" status. That got us invites to private sailing "cruises" on the vessel, with other VIP sponsor members.

I did one of those cruises. And only one. Fawk me..I never worked so hard to sail a vessel such a short distance in me life!

Whole new appreciation for what those first settlers went through. My ancestors on the Mayflower were the ships cooper and the daughter of a Pilgrim, so I dont think they had to work that hard, but were still miserable, I'm sure.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Whole new appreciation for what those first settlers went through. My ancestors on the Mayflower were the ships cooper and the daughter of a Pilgrim, so I dont think they had to work that hard, but were still miserable, I'm sure.
Small world.

I’m pretty sure my ancestors were part of the crew too.

1661633275038.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control
Small world.

I’m pretty sure my ancestors were part of the crew too.

View attachment 165828

Was always a family story, I imagine lots of New England families have that. Once I dove into the genealogy, and verified out that my great great great grandfather, himself descended from a settler who came over and settled in Lynn in 1633, married a woman descended from John Alden. There's a Wordsworth in the mix too :) Sort of surprised me.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Was always a family story, I imagine lots of New England families have that. Once I dove into the genealogy, and verified out that my great great great grandfather, himself descended from a settler who came over and settled in Lynn in 1633, married a woman descended from John Alden. There's a Wordsworth in the mix too :) Sort of surprised me.
My family connection to the Ark & Dove is somewhat tenuous. A woman, last name of Plummer, either came over with that group or was immediately descended from someone on that voyage. In any, event she married in to the other side of that family root ...one of the Govers that landed in Anne Arundel in 1650 and had massive landholdings/patents in Calvert County, including Dunkirk. The last remaining bit of my family property there is the "Kings Landing" park. I don't know the story of how the rest of the Calvert County property was dispersed over the years; my immediate branch left CC and settled in Waterford VA in the early 1800s.

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My oldest European ancestors on this continent were laborers who helped build Montreal.