New Orleans officers plead not guilty

Carmalita

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Three police officers pleaded not guilty Monday to battery charges after a weekend confrontation with a man accused of intoxication and with a TV news crew that taped it.

A videotape made by the Associated Press Television News crew shows two patrolmen repeatedly punching a man identified as 64-year-old Robert Davis. The tape shows a third officer grabbing and shoving an APTN producer.

After a brief hearing, at which trial was set for January 11, the officers were released on bond. They quickly left in cars without commenting.

They were suspended without pay Sunday, police spokesman Marlon Defillo said. The police promised a criminal investigation.

"It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it," Defillo said. (Watch raw footage of the beating -- 1:26)

Full Story

General Lee

I'm not disputing the beating, there is clear evidence of *possible* excessive force. I say possible because the glorious media as always only shows the worst part of things and never the whole side of things. We don't know what the victim did to the police before hand do we? Chances are he most likely did something to provoke them such as assault, resisting, disobeying a direct order etc, we just don't know for sure yet.

But yes, given his age, no weapon involved (apparently) it does seem the police may have went a little far.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When you first see the video, it seems like a clear case of excessive force. But then you see it again and go, "Okay, when was the last time it took four young, muscular cops several minutes to handcuff someone?" And notice not a single one of them is hanging back going, "Hey, guys, let's just cool out, huh?" - at least one of them should have been doing that.

Then the reporter gets in the mix, so the big cop backs him off - this wouldn't have happened in a true excessive force situation. #1, they wouldn't have done it in front of an audience, and #2, especially not the media.

Carmalita

General Lee said:
I'm not disputing the beating, there is clear evidence of *possible* excessive force. I say possible because the glorious media as always only shows the worst part of things and never the whole side of things. We don't know what the victim did to the police before hand do we? Chances are he most likely did something to provoke them such as assault, resisting, disobeying a direct order etc, we just don't know for sure yet.

But yes, given his age, no weapon involved (apparently) it does seem the police may have went a little far.

I agree that there may be more to this than there appears to be. And certainly they are entitled to the presumption of innocence; at least from a legal standpoint. But even an official of the police said that, on its surface, it appears that they used excessive force. On one of the videos, it certainly APPEARS that a horse policeman attempted to block the view of the camera with his horse.

Last edited:

donbarzini

If this nitwit has even a half-a$$ed attorney, he is now rich. Who pays him is the only question. The court case boils down to one question: "Did the officers act in concurrence with the training they received in empty-hand defensive tactics?". I don't know of any police department that trains their officers to punch someone in the back of the head to get them to comply.
Sorry guys.

willie

I heard the cops' attorney, Frank DeSalvo, being interviewed when he said the 64 yr. old guy "was fighting a drug problem". I've never heard any more of that accusation. If it is not true, they should all pay dearly for that slander.