New Photo Speed Camera in Lusby on Southern Connector Blvd

Wosman

Watched them install the new photo speed camera at the Mill Creek Middle school zone on Southern Connector Blvd today. Read an article that they will be active year round Monday -Friday. Anyone know if they will be installing one at Patuxent High School entrance as well?

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, making the "little kids safer". Lost many over there? Lots of speed caused crashes? I wonder how much revenue they will actually generate there though.

glhs837

Power with Control
But Vince, if you had no safety incidents before, and have none after, how have you increased safety? How many crashes involving school kids have there been there? Ones caused by speed, or even that were made worse by speeding? My point is that they count on the "OMG, it for the KIDS!!!!!!" factor. If you didnt have kids being hurt before, and you dont have kids hurt after, then putting these up have no real purpose.

vince77

But Vince, if you had no safety incidents before, and have none after, how have you increased safety? How many crashes involving school kids have there been there? Ones caused by speed, or even that were made worse by speeding? My point is that they count on the "OMG, it for the KIDS!!!!!!" factor. If you didnt have kids being hurt before, and you dont have kids hurt after, then putting these up have no real purpose.

Neither of us know how many people slowed down because of the cameras thereby avoiding an accident in a school zone. Too many distracted drivers on the road already, let's slow them down in school zones at least. I suspect if you asked school administrators if they wanted speed limits in front of the schools left the same or lowered they'd choose to slow vehicles down. Safe travels.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
Thats some terrible logic. It's not about slowing down, it's about the kids safety, right? If there are no recroded instances of children being harmed by speeding cars, then you can know that people speeding isnt a problem. As to what scchool adminstrators want, I would be more interested in what traffic engineers want, not some private company or govt entity who stands to make a profit from lower speed limits. You want to know what happens if they work and everbody slows down? They remove the cameras :)

vince77

Thats some terrible logic. It's not about slowing down, it's about the kids safety, right? If there are no recroded instances of children being harmed by speeding cars, then you can know that people speeding isnt a problem. As to what scchool adminstrators want, I would be more interested in what traffic engineers want, not some private company or govt entity who stands to make a profit from lower speed limits. You want to know what happens if they work and everbody slows down? They remove the cameras :)

I have no problem with fining people who travel more than 12 mph above the speed limit in a school zone a measly $40. Neither do our elected officials.

BTW, how's the General Lee running these days?

glhs837

Power with Control
I prefer my traffic enforcement to actually be focused on really making things safer, not just making money for a private company. You really want to deter folks, make a $200 fine. Its about safety right? Get them some points on the licence, because that will slow them down faster than a measly $40.

Face it, the fine is low so its not to big a deterrent, and it's school zones to make it an easier sell. "OMG, do you want little kids run over by speeding maniacs?"

If you mean the SRT Charger, it's fine. Showing a bit of its 196K, little wear and tear stuff. Dont drive it that much anymore, when I'm not driving the wife around in her Jeep, I'm on the bike.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
If the school is like many in So.MD there are probably no "little ones" walking.
The question would be, is the reduced school zone speed limit in effect during school hours or is it 24/7 (or 24/5 so to speak)?

I swear they are dragging on the work on Rt. 2 just to reduce the speed limit to 40 and double the fines. What are we gong on, 2 years plus of construction zones.

I don't know why people have so much faith in a "for profit" organization.
That they won't fudge the system if they aren't making revenue projections seems to be out of the question. (when in fact they have been caught doing just that).

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
One very good point, Bernie. Why drop the limit if there are not little ones roaming about?

On a related note, I saw a news piece this morning about DCs automated enforcement program. Lots of deterrence going on there.....

http://wtop.com/dc/2016/07/speed-camera-tickets-rebound-district/

Speed enforcement cameras in the District are generating so many tickets that if the current pace continues, the cameras will have generated 1.4 million tickets with fines reaching $148 million by the end of the year, AAA Mid-Atlantic estimated.

Relying on a Freedom of Information Act request, AAA found that speed cameras arrayed on roadways throughout the city kicked out more than 365,000 tickets in the first four months of the fiscal year, ending Feb. 15, 2016. The revenue from those citations is more than $37 million — about the same as the revenue from the entire fiscal year 2014.