New Respect for Duce Staley

B

Bruzilla

http://media3.steelers.com/article/62928/

Bettis ready to tell it like it is
Tuesday, February 21, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

"I believe Duce Staley can fill that void and he can excel in that role if that is the role that is asked of him," said Bettis. "He is very unselfish. I don't think they are going to have a problem in that respect. He can still play.

"He was put in a difficult position this year. I am going to tell you personally how he responded. Nobody knows this because it was internal. He went to coach Cowher and told him after he was about 80 percent and close to 100 percent, and told him that when he is 100 percent if there is a question about who plays, I want Jerome to play because this is probably his last year. For him to do that amidst a lot of criticism that he was going to take for not playing, that was an unselfish approach he took. He has a lot left in the tank, but if you don't have the opportunity you aren't going to prove it. He didn't have an opportunity to prove he can still get it done."

I haven't cared for Staley because it seemed like he never played after he was injured, but I had no idea why he wasn't playing until I read this article. I guess I need to look at Staley in a different light now.