New street light is active

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
What is the purpose of the new light coming out of Sheetz between Rt 5 N and Great Mills.
I stopped at Sheetz and the whole time I was there the light never changed and it says no turn on Red.
Rt 5 North has no light to stop traffic to let them out.

??

What is the purpose of the new light coming out of Sheetz between Rt 5 N and Great Mills.
I stopped at Sheetz and the whole time I was there the light never changed and it says no turn on Red.

??

Street light, or traffic light?

kk2187

I had to go that way due to an accident blocking the normal light to Rt 5 and it was just flashing red, with the stop sign there. I don't think it's fully set up yet.

I'm guessing its purpose is to make it less desirable for people trying to miss the other red light to go that way. Take out the "optional" stop sign, and add a no turn on red traffic light = less clustermess during base traffic "rush hour" from 3 lanes merging into 1 (the two turn lanes and the people who cut in front of you from that side street)? We'll see how that goes.

kk2187

It is set up now, no flashing light, solid red all the time.
And there is no light to stop vehicles going north on Rt 5.

Two new traffic signals planned

A signal will replace the stop sign at the end of Old Great Mills Road. Reviewing the intersection plan, Groeger said, "It looks like it will run with the liquor store on the side of Great Mills Road."

When the light turns green for the liquor store parking lot, the light will turn green for those on Old Great Mills Road.

"When [Route] 246 has the green, they won't be able to go." However, just like at a stop sign, "they would be able to turn right on red," he said.

This signal will only be activated during evening rush hour; it will flash red at other times, according to SHA.

That explains why it was flashing when I came through. And also I guess they added the No Turn On Red after this guy looked at it.

Riddler

I was on Great Mills going through that intersection close to 4:00 pm yesterday.

It looked like it was flashing red when the two turn lanes from Great Mills to North 5 had the red arrows. When those lanes had green arrows then the Old Great Mills light was solid red with the "no turn on red" sign lit up.

I assume it will be timed to only do that during "rush hour".

FWIW it actually seemed to help the merge of the two lanes heading north.

Vince

The new one on 235 was operational yesterday. The new one on Rt 4 between 235 and the bridge is blinking yellow. Suspect it will be operational shortly. That's really gonna screw up traffic. :doh:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
:shrug: Sorry... I was serious. I assumed you meant traffic, but you usually don't use the wrong descriptions.

Since DoWhat said the light never changed, I immediately knew he was talking about a traffic control light. I've never seen a street light change color.

To stop the idiots that are in a rush that want to jump ahead and cut people off. That way was supposed to be used for people coming out of sheets, not a short cut for impatient people. They should of just cut right turn off completely there, but they won't because of emergency vehicles.

"State highway analysis showed there was an average of 924 right turns a day from Great Mills Road onto northbound Route 5 between 4 and 5 p.m. Added to that were 115 right turns from Old Great Mills Road."

If you think this light is a bad idea or upsets you, then obviously you were the one that always tried to use that as a shortcut.

"but they won't because of emergency vehicles."
I'm not disagreeing that this is one of the reasons SHA has given for not shutting off that road at the intersection, but I have to wonder just how many emergency vehicles use that road to go north on Rt 5? Wouldn't it have been easier to just put up a sign at the farthest entrance to Sheetz on Old Great Mills Road that says, "Emergency Vehicles Only Beyond This Point", with an emergency activated red light on 5 North, like the one at the Hollywood Fire Department?

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

??

Because some people don't like to wait so they try and cut off everyone else by cutting through the back road behind Sheetz adding to the Great Mills road / Rt 5 Bottleneck heading north. Their selfishness has ended!!! :dye:

BernieP

Resident PIA

??

I think it's doing what it was designed to do - keep people from cutting down that road to avoid the light at Great Mills & Rt 5.

fredsaid2

I hope it gets better, today was a 30 min wait. I feel bad for the people trying to turn left onto Bay Ridge. Traffic travelling the NB Rt.5 shoulder was near constant from before Adkins Rd to the light. It has to be dangerous trying to cross there.

The new one on 235 was operational yesterday. The new one on Rt 4 between 235 and the bridge is blinking yellow. Suspect it will be operational shortly. That's really gonna screw up traffic. :doh:

What new one on 235? Guess I don't go that way or something?

smibarines

??

You could always make a right out of the Sheetz and another right on GMR. Guess that would make too much sense.

I'm glad they finally put a stop to it. Couldnt believe the morons who'd come to a complete stop on Rt. 5 N to let the other morons who are sitting at the stop sign.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Friends of mine coming from the St. Inigoes direction were totally slammed; one was sitting a couple miles back starting at 5:12 and didn't make it through the the last of the GM light gauntlet at Flat Iron until almost 6:00. WTF?? Nice job, MD.

smibarines

Friends of mine coming from the St. Inigoes direction were totally slammed; one was sitting a couple miles back starting at 5:12 and didn't make it through the the last of the GM light gauntlet at Flat Iron until almost 6:00. WTF?? Nice job, MD.

Traffic was backed up to the Hilton Ridge subdivision. Haven't seen it that bad in the 6 years I've been down there. Must have been an accident or something.

kk2187

What new one on 235? Guess I don't go that way or something?

There's a new one between Hollywood and where it turns into Rt 5 :lol: I know it's a bit of a distance but I can never remember the name of the area it's in. Halloween weekend someone had changed the "Traffic signal ahead" sign to "Snow storm ahead".

MMDad

Lem Putt
Traffic was backed up to the Hilton Ridge subdivision. Haven't seen it that bad in the 6 years I've been down there. Must have been an accident or something.

Nope - the light wasn't allowing the northbound traffic to go. It was only caused by SHA and their incompetence.