New tank setup problems.

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
I set up a 20 gallon and put some Petco guppies in it to get the tank established.. Every one died with in 48 hours.

Fin rot. So I put in 4 fish from a friend's tank.. Perfectly healthy. They are fine.

I go back to Petco, pay 12 bucks for the medicine and get my fish replaced. One didn't even survive the ride home:rolleyes: So I go back and get the money back for the two dead ones AGAIN.

So now, I'm treating the tank, and the Petco fish are STILL DYING!! I have another one :dead: this morning!!!

WTF?

Why are my friends fish not getting sick?? Why are the Petco fish not getting better with the treatment??

AUGHH!!!:jameo: I'm pulling the guppies out and flushing them. They've polluted my tank and I don't want my Platys and Swordtails to get sick. It was all pretty and now I'v wrecked it by fishing out fish corpses.:frown:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'd say stop treating the tank, stop buying guppies from Pet-CO..

Let the fish you have in there go for a few weeks, then go get some real fish.

Hopefully you haven't contaminated your tank too much with the PEt-Co water.

(Fresh Water Aquarium Salt might help too)

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
Yeah I'm going to thave to start doing a water change this weekend. The Petco fish are awful. I just hope the other fish don't get sick:ohwell:

jetmonkey

I've seen a ton of dead fish in the tanks in Leonardtown. The hobby just has a high attrition rate. Anything you do to a fish other than look at it is stressful and increases their susceptibility to disease and parasite :shrug:

unixpirate

Pitty Party
I set up a 20 gallon and put some Petco guppies in it to get the tank established.. Every one died with in 48 hours.

Fin rot. So I put in 4 fish from a friend's tank.. Perfectly healthy. They are fine.

I go back to Petco, pay 12 bucks for the medicine and get my fish replaced. One didn't even survive the ride home:rolleyes: So I go back and get the money back for the two dead ones AGAIN.

So now, I'm treating the tank, and the Petco fish are STILL DYING!! I have another one :dead: this morning!!!

WTF?

Why are my friends fish not getting sick?? Why are the Petco fish not getting better with the treatment??

AUGHH!!!:jameo: I'm pulling the guppies out and flushing them. They've polluted my tank and I don't want my Platys and Swordtails to get sick. It was all pretty and now I'v wrecked it by fishing out fish corpses.:frown:

You have a few possilities going on here. Your water as oppose to Petco's. ie. ph, nitrate, ammonia might not match. Also the tempature is critical. If your just dumping the fish in the tank without them adjusting it's going to shock them. Leave the bag with the fish sitting in the water for a half hour or longer so the temps match up. Also need to let the new water in the tank sit for a few days before adding new fish. I wouldn't do salt water with that small of tank. You need to let the water sit and keep changing the filter till the fog goes away. Test it with a test kit. What kind of lighting do you have besides the one in the hood?
I've had as big as 90 gallon tanks most of my life and got all my fish from Petco and they were fine. No guppies. They are hard to keep alive. They are normally used as feeder fish.

tiltedangel

WTF?

i just read your post and just wanted to let you know we have had fish tanks forever and when we first started our tanks the stores were telling us all sorts of chemicals and things we needed to have...well over the years we realized all we need is start right to start the tank ..and that is it...if they have fin rot there is something called melafix to treat the water and heal them...it is sold at walmart with the start right..also make sure the water is not too hot or too cold...72 or so is good ...hope this helps...never use tap water without start right....

W

WildCherry

I let my tank sit for a week before adding fish. I put no chemicals whatsoever in the water and made sure to take the fish and let the bags float for about an hour before I added them. The way you add them is to take them out of the bag with a net and put them in your tank. NEVER add their tank water to yours.

A friend of mine told me to fill a cup with fish chemicals and a cup with water and drop a fish in each one and tell me which lived. I got what he was saying immediately. Fish are made to swim in water, not chemicals.

I advise you to empty your tank clean your rocks with plain FILTERED water or natural spring water. Clean everything in it only with water, then fill it back up with untreated filtered or natural spring water from whatever store and let it sit for a week then add your fish as suggested.

Hope this helps! :howdy:

jetmonkey

I've been out of the hobby for a while but back in the day people were starting to say that leaving the fish in their own filth in that rancid bag water could actually be more harmful than getting them into the tank as quickly as possible :shrug: haven't kept up with the literature lately, tho :coffee: