New Tax Calvert

mdff21

The county commissioners are sending a proposed tax to Annapolis to be put in place. This is a "water tax" proposed by the Department of Water and Sewer. According to what I read, if you are NOT on public water and sewer you will be taxed for water. They are saying that if you have a fire the fire department will use the hydrants in the area to obtain water to put out the fire. The proposed tax will help improve the current water systems in the county. They continued to say that they didn't want to put the burden on the ones that are on public water and sewer to pay for the costs to upgrade the systems. There is a public hearing on this and all the other proposed bills that are being sent to Annapolis on 12-2-14 (7 pm) at Calvert Pines.

RPMDAD

I am really sure this Calvert county citizen in Huntingtown would relish the thought of paying this tax for the county public water systems and hydrants in PF and maybe parts of solomons where there may be some fire hydrants.

Every company in Calvert County (Huntingtown, Prince Frederick, Dunkirk, St. Leonard, North Beach and Solomons) was on the call now. Also, companies from Harwood, Hollywood and Benedict were on the second alarm. There were tankers not only from Calvert County, but from other multi aid counties to supply water. because there are no fire hydrants in 99% of Huntingtown.

http://dennishook.smugmug.com/2011FireCalls/2011-03-19-Soper-Road/

officeguy

I am really sure this Calvert county citizen in Huntingtown would relish the thought of paying this tax for the county public water systems and hydrants in PF and maybe parts of solomons where there may be some fire hydrants.

Would that tax have provided his neighborhood with a fire hydrant within the range of a temporary pipeline ?
Would that tax have provided his neighborhood with a site water tank to aid in firefighting efforts ?

If you build a 2mil house in an area without hydrants and more than x miles from the next firehouse, your hazard insurance rates will be higher to account for the increased risk of fire. You already pay a 'tax' for having a nice lot.

RPMDAD

Would that tax have provided his neighborhood with a fire hydrant within the range of a temporary pipeline ?
Would that tax have provided his neighborhood with a site water tank to aid in firefighting efforts ?

If you build a 2mil house in an area without hydrants and more than x miles from the next firehouse, your hazard insurance rates will be higher to account for the increased risk of fire. You already pay a 'tax' for having a nice lot.

officeguy, that tax then or now would not have helped him, so the answer is tax everyone who does not have this service to offset and help the costs for the people who do have this service.

mamatutu

mama to two
We knew this tax was coming because it has happened in other counties. I don't think it is the Repubs betraying us as it is a deficit of funds. I don't believe my friend, Steve Weems, would be for this if it wasn't necessary. Yes, the lack of hydrants is an issue. Any of us that oppose this should show up at the meeting on Dec. 2. I am just glad I have a small footprint to be taxed. My long driveway is not paved and my alpine roof only covers a 2,000 sq ft house. The rest is woods on my 5 acre property. Oh wait, will wood decks be counted. I have them full length front and back. Let's see what Hogan's new admin does with this, unless it is passed before he is in office.

officeguy

officeguy, that tax then or now would not have helped him, so the answer is tax everyone who does not have this service to offset and help the costs for the people who do have this service.

Which makes no forking sense.

Living in the styx on well and septic is nice in a lot of ways, but good fire protection is not one of the perks.

I can see the county:
- charging anyone who lives within pipeline range of a public water system but uses well & septic a small tax for the improved fire protection that affords. In some areas, public water has been extended after the area was settled, it does make sense for anyone who benefits from this to chip in for the extra capacity and maintenance that requires.
- setg up site water tanks in some neighborhoods and charging anyone who benefits from it an assessment.

Charging people for hydrants at the other end of the county is just as asinine as the rain-tax.

officeguy

Yes...because as all informed voters and citizens know...the Governor controls COUNTY taxes!!!

Moron...

In counties that dont have home-rule, local taxes have to go through the state legislature. The MD governor is fairly strong as he controls the budget process, so yes the election of a new governor can affect new local taxes.

mamatutu

mama to two
In counties that dont have home-rule, local taxes have to go through the state legislature. The MD governor is fairly strong as he controls the budget process, so yes the election of a new governor can affect new local taxes.

Thank you, og. And, as far as tj calling me a moron, she should search the fact that the MD Leg rezoned Calvert County not long ago in an attempt to sway elections. I can't even respond to her anymore. The fact that she spews derogatory remarks every time she posts has gotten past beyond boring. I am sorry she is such a lost child. At least, some of us have some sense on this forum. Discussion is a good thing. Derogatory remarks and bouncing laughing smilies don't add a thing, except contempt.

Local taxes are not part of the state budget. If the local delegation approve new taxes or fees the Governor will probably not oppose them. The new Governor takes office on Jan.20th and all 2015 legislation will go to him for his signature or veto.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Local taxes are not part of the state budget. If the local delegation approve new taxes or fees the Governor will probably not oppose them. The new Governor takes office on Jan.20th and all 2015 legislation will go to him for his signature or veto.

It's called a local interest bill. The local delegation submits it in the course of the session, it goes thorough proforma hearings in the appropriate committee and if the local delegation approves it it's passed in about 95% of the cases.

FollowTheMoney

The best way, if it's more money the govt wants, and instead of saddling our property tax bills with more to pay than many may not be able, to add an additional fee to the water bills of current and future users and a one time offset fee to new and replacement wells. That would be the fairest way. It's ironic that they say, "dedicated to upgrading and expanding the existing water system." when all the water comes from wells anyway. And that, "The basis for this is the acknowledgement that the citizens on public water systems pay to maintain infrastructure that is used in countywide firefighting operations.” Well, gezz, let's see, it's also used by pool water fillers, of course they pay for the water used. And a host of others. Also, of course they pay to maintain it, they are using it!
Expanding of water pipeline systems does not happen unless there are "customers" around to be "forced" to hook up to it anyway. So it is all BS.
Also, you can't tax person's property without taxing another, regardless if one is on a well and the other not. Called equal protection clause of the Constitution.

From the Recorder:
• "A proposal from the Department of Public works to authorize imposition of a water infrastructure excise tax added to the annual property tax bill of each improved lot not connected to public water and sewer. This proposal was suggested because the costs associated with hydrants for fire suppression are incurred fully by those who pay for public water and sewerage service, but even those on private systems benefit from the county’s fire suppression system, Norris said. Slaughenhoupt opposed the proposal, saying, “adding another tax on people is not the way to go,” and that taking money out of the general fund is better than adding a new tax. Shaw said taking money out of the general fund means the customers on the public system pay for the cost of the fire suppression system twice because the general fund consists of taxpayer dollars. Roughly 50 percent of residential properties are not connected to the county water system, said Mark Willis, deputy director of enterprise fund operations for the Calvert County Department of Public Works. “Those properties … have the same benefit of that fire suppression system that my water and sewer customers pay for,” Willis said. “They pay for it in its entirety. It’s a very minimal fee, and it’s one that will I think pull Calvert County’s water and sewer out of what I believe to be the Stone Age, because it hasn’t really been updated in 30 years, and will move us to the future.”
The additional funding would allow for routine five-year renovation and maintenance on hydrants, which have not happened as a true renovation ever, Willis said. Only property owners not connected to the public system would pay the fee, he said.?

Also, it's very telling they don't specify the "costs" associated. This is nothing but a money grab because of fiscal malfeasance of the Department of Public works to try and fix their budget.
In addition, how many fire stations in Calvert County have their own water well on their property? I would wager most all of them.
In addition some more, if it's money they want, the Department of Public works, just shuffle some money from the general fund to them and increase all property taxes, by that "very minimal fee".