New television shopping

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I looked at ReStore's website and they do take televisions that meet their criteria, which this one does. I did contact ReStore via FB Messenger and they are going to call me tomorrow about it. AND...they also do pick-ups!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I looked at ReStore's website and they do take televisions that meet their criteria, which this one does. I did contact ReStore via FB Messenger and they are going to call me tomorrow about it. AND...they also do pick-ups!
I called them and they only do pick-ups for LARGE objects, like living room furniture. Oy vey! 🤦‍♀️

Clem72

My next TV will have bluetooth so I can link my laptop to it.

You won't do much over bluetooth. Most "smart" TVs that connect to your network can be controlled from a computer or phone. The TCL Roku ones will work with the Roku app on your phone and you can "cast" to them from phone/computer just like you would a chromecast device.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I needed to give this thread a bump as I just found myself in the market for a new TV.

My current set up has been a 50” plasma TV. I use ChromeCast for streaming.

Well, after 13 years, the 50” plasma TV decided to retire itself so now I need (want) a new one. I’m fine with getting another 50” but I’m trying to get a handle on all of the options out there with all of the “smart” TVs on the market these days. I noticed a lot of talk about Roku here. How does that compare to other Smart TVs?

Thanks

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I needed to give this thread a bump as I just found myself in the market for a new TV.

Well, after 13 years, the 50” plasma TV decided to retire itself so now I need (want) a new one. I’m fine with getting another 50” but I’m trying to get a handle on all of the options out there with all of the “smart” TVs on the market these days. I noticed a lot of talk about Roku here. How does that compare to other Smart TVs?

Thanks
Most of the same services on the Roku, Apple or Amazon devices are on the new Smart TVs.

nutz

Thanks
You have to remember that quite a few of the smart tv’s no longer include a uhf/vhf tuner capability. Something to consider if you have/use over the air channels.

awpitt

Main Streeter
You have to remember that quite a few of the smart tv’s no longer include a uhf/vhf tuner capability. Something to consider if you have/use over the air channels.

Okay. I didn't realize that. St. Mary's really doesn't get reception anyways.

Chris0nllyn

Thanks

Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, FireStick, etc. are simply a one-stop-shop for all your streaming services (like Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc.)

The TV basically takes place of the Roku and allows you to access all your services directly from the TV.

Roku and the others mentioned are good for older, non-Smart TVs, but can be used on Smart TVs if you don't want to use their interface. Note that TCL makes a Roku TV so it's sort of an outlier.

Now's a good time to buy a TV, since the SuperBowl is right around the corner. You can get a 50-55in TV for $250-$300 (~30% off). If you want a better quality TV, you can get a 55" UHD 4K Samsung for $450 (~25% off).
Amazon product
Amazon product

Just search for super bowl TV deals.

PeoplesElbow

Thanks
Best interface there is for a smart TV. Also most likely to get security updates etc.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, FireStick, etc. are simply a one-stop-shop for all your streaming services (like Netflix, Sling, Hulu, Youtube TV, etc.)

The TV basically takes place of the Roku and allows you to access all your services directly from the TV.

Roku and the others mentioned are good for older, non-Smart TVs, but can be used on Smart TVs if you don't want to use their interface. Note that TCL makes a Roku TV so it's sort of an outlier.

Now's a good time to buy a TV, since the SuperBowl is right around the corner. You can get a 50-55in TV for $250-$300 (~30% off). If you want a better quality TV, you can get a 55" UHD 4K Samsung for $450 (~25% off).
Amazon product
Amazon product

Just search for super bowl TV deals.

Thanks for that break down. So if I already have my Chromecast, I really don't need a "smart" TV since those functions are handled via the Chromecast, right?

awpitt

Main Streeter
One thing I would add here is if you go with the Roku line and have the ability to connect via Ethernet, picking the high end device is worth it.

I've had no interruptions like I did with one of the wifi devices.

Actually, I do have Ethernet ports accessible to the TV. I'll keep that in mind. So far, the 5G wifi has been working fine.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Actually, I do have Ethernet ports accessible to the TV. I'll keep that in mind. So far, the 5G wifi has been working fine.
If your Internet connection is 5G then disregard it wouldn’t matter. I was thinking based on a cable modem connection or fiber.

glhs837

Power with Control
I have ethernet to my smart TV, makes things nice and simple. Have a switch so multiple devices can use that drop like the PS4 and a SteamLink