New Theater Coming Across from Wildewood?

officeguy

As tight as this set of commissioners is with money, I can't see them putting any money out for this without the old wheels being greased somehow. New L-town library? Who needs books, lets subsidize a theater.

The way these deals often work is that the county waives collection of business property tax for X years. If you put two million worth of projectors and AV equipment into a new theater, that bill can be a nice chunk of money every year. The county doesn't put any subsidy into the deal, they just defer until they start collecting money for a couple of years. If this helps a development to happen that wouldn't have happened otherwise, the secondary gain for the county (jobs, property value on the building etc.) will more than make up for the 'cost' of the tax abatement.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Only times my wife and I have been to a movie in the year we've been here has been the base theater. Otherwise, if a movie looks worth viewing, we wait until it is available for home viewing.

yobear

My family and I are super excited about this announcement...say what you want about cost and traffic...it's entertainment and I'm sick of driving an hour to do so.

RPMDAD

Think a new theater over there would definitely attract a lot of Calvert folks as well. Most folks in south Calvert do a alot if not most of their shopping in St.Mary's county. It would definitely be nicer than the one in P.F. Though i don't have any real complaints about the one in P.F., because i am not a regular movie theater kind of person. One a year maybe.

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
sitting at light today and wondering how many seconds will this new place add to the green / red light cycle at intersection?????????? 10 -30 sec will seem like a lifetime at the end of a day during the week..... Wil there only be one EXIT???? Yikes......

MarieB

The way these deals often work is that the county waives collection of business property tax for X years. If you put two million worth of projectors and AV equipment into a new theater, that bill can be a nice chunk of money every year. The county doesn't put any subsidy into the deal, they just defer until they start collecting money for a couple of years. If this helps a development to happen that wouldn't have happened otherwise, the secondary gain for the county (jobs, property value on the building etc.) will more than make up for the 'cost' of the tax abatement.

Sometimes

I read an article years ago that actually gave the statistics about those tax incentives and how much teh communities benefitted from luring the businesses, and statistically it usuaslly wasn't worth that cost.

OldHillcrestGuy

Think a new theater over there would definitely attract a lot of Calvert folks as well. Most folks in south Calvert do a alot if not most of their shopping in St.Mary's county. It would definitely be nicer than the one in P.F. Though i don't have any real complaints about the one in P.F., because i am not a regular movie theater kind of person. One a year maybe.

I agree that I think it would do good, theres alot of people in the southern part of Calvert and just about all of St Marys and maybe some bordering parts of Charles that would go .Im as northern as you can get in St. Marys and closer to both Waldorf and Brandywines theatres by a few miles but I would go south before going north.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Tax incentives/deferments work but only under certain circumstances. An area with high unemployment and declining tax base will likely gain a benefit. An area like around here with high property values, low unemployment and no real flight of business/industry there's likely not much of a benefit.

Now, if PAX would go on the BRAC list, that will change. Steny won't be around forever and anyone who really expects his replacement (who will be from Prince George's) to have the juice to protect PAX is smoking some serious dope.

officeguy

Sometimes

I read an article years ago that actually gave the statistics about those tax incentives and how much teh communities benefitted from luring the businesses, and statistically it usuaslly wasn't worth that cost.

A deferment alone doesn't cost the county a penny. If the business didn't locate in their community, they wouldn't collect the tax. If the business locates and gets a tax abatement they dont collect the tax.

We need to get away from the thinking that a tax break is a 'cost' to the city/county/state. It is an amount of money not removed from the private sector, not an expense.

There are other economic development mechanisms that cost real money. Infrastructure improvements, workforce training grants etc. Tax abatements are not such a cost.

It is a fair question whether it makes sense to give tax abatements in a growth area like St Marys. Consumer businesses locate down here because they see a market. It is not like they produce something that is easily shipped and they could make it in Texas. If it takes the tax incentive to locate a project, the underlying math is probably not very sound.

Besides, I didnt hear anything about the theater getting any kind of economic development incentive.

BernieP

Resident PIA
My family and I are super excited about this announcement...say what you want about cost and traffic...it's entertainment and I'm sick of driving an hour to do so.

I wouldn't say excited, but it would be nice to see a first run movie without having to wait for it to come to PPV.

There is something about "the big screen" versus watching it in your home.
While the "pause" and "rewind" buttons are nice features, it kind of detracts from the show.

tuffenuff2

An outdoor movie theatre would be great here. Take in the awesome sunset before a movie. Plus the nearest one is in Baltimore, could generate good income. Benjies is the one up north but never been.

red_explorer

I don't believe there will be enough business for a new theatre in that location to make it worth the cost of construction, implementation and operation. It will be a dive before you know it.[/QUOTE

What do you base this on? You don't think the Theater company did enough studies and research to figure this on their own.

The numbers arent there. There is a reason so many previous theater companies have pulled out after making plans... Just wait and see. I am not convinced.

Beta

Smile!
Tax incentives/deferments work but only under certain circumstances. An area with high unemployment and declining tax base will likely gain a benefit. An area like around here with high property values, low unemployment and no real flight of business/industry there's likely not much of a benefit.

Now, if PAX would go on the BRAC list, that will change. Steny won't be around forever and anyone who really expects his replacement (who will be from Prince George's) to have the juice to protect PAX is smoking some serious dope.

I'm assuming you have 0 knowledge of BRAC and are just blabbering because you're bored, so let me help you out:

Anyone who thinks they'd ever BRAC Pax River, with all of the different programs and how insanely expensive it would be, is clueless. They relocated so much to Pax that there's nowhere in the region where they could disperse it. One significant reason for putting everything at one base was convenience, which has so far worked very well. A BRAC wouldn't make any sense.

Other locations that could actually do something with the land and are pressuring the Navy would be BRACed before Pax. Since there are a ton of those, and the local government here likes Pax for its economic boost to the region, there's nothing to worry about.

officeguy

Anyone who thinks they'd ever BRAC Pax River, with all of the different programs and how insanely expensive it would be, is clueless. They relocated so much to Pax that there's nowhere in the region where they could disperse it. One significant reason for putting everything at one base was convenience, which has so far worked very well. A BRAC wouldn't make any sense.

BRAC decisions are the result of political pull, not logic. The numbers can be massaged to say anything. If the political winds change, the functions of Pax could be relocated to any number of places on short notice. The contractors don't care, most of them sit in leased space, they'll just lease wherever the facility they support gets relocated to.

I hear Utah is really nice. Fewer liquor stores.

Since there are a ton of those, and the local government here likes Pax for its economic boost to the region, there's nothing to worry about.

If you keep telling yourself that often enough, you'll end up believing that it is true.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't believe there will be enough business for a new theatre in that location to make it worth the cost of construction, implementation and operation. It will be a dive before you know it.

If you build it, they will come.

Beta

Smile!
BRAC decisions are the result of political pull, not logic. The numbers can be massaged to say anything. If the political winds change, the functions of Pax could be relocated to any number of places on short notice. The contractors don't care, most of them sit in leased space, they'll just lease wherever the facility they support gets relocated to.

I hear Utah is really nice. Fewer liquor stores.

If you keep telling yourself that often enough, you'll end up believing that it is true.

All I hear is :blahblah:

So basically what you're trying to say is that everything is illogical so logically speaking, the most illogical thing to happen is what will happen. :rolleyes:

When they relocated Crystal City here, it was in commuting distance of the employees, and it wasn't a large move for those that opted to relocate closer to the base. Relocating anywhere outside of the capital region would result in large-scale changes (and likely a lot of employment changes) that would cripple NAVAIR, which makes absolutely no sense. There isn't another place they can make as a test-flight base nearby, so that's what would happen if Pax were BRACed.

When they relocated other bases here, their functions were programmatic in nature and it was useful to put them closer to the IPTs and test community (which was why they put the IPT out here in the first place, to bring them closer to the test community).

They used the space in Crystal City for other stuff. They found good uses for most (all?) of the other bases that were BRACed. What would they use Pax River for, exactly? If over 50% of the local population moved away (with the rest of the area having its housing market crippled and economy destroyed), what would happen to this area? Would the local government use the base as a large fair grounds? Would they try to put in a new airport (Miramar), level it for more housing & shopping since the land is in high demand (Oceana), or would the land go to waste as the entire area collapses?

Before you make asinine statements, try to use a little logic. As shocking as it may seem, they actually use sound reasoning when they make BRAC decisions.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm assuming you have 0 knowledge of BRAC and are just blabbering because you're bored, so let me help you out:

Other locations that could actually do something with the land and are pressuring the Navy would be BRACed before Pax. Since there are a ton of those, and the local government here likes Pax for its economic boost to the region, there's nothing to worry about.

PAX River is replaceable, get over it. Don't ever think that it's so unique it can't be replaced - which assumes they think it needs to be replaced.
If the projected cuts in defense continue the services are going to have to consider the "purple" lab concept, i.e. joint operations.

If anything, Pax is probably more expendable than you think. It occupies a piece of very lucrative airspace on the eastern seaboard.

In the first BRAC (90's) a lot of places that thought they had unique capabilies got closed. The DoD decided that they just didn't need those capabilies.

DooDoo1402

The fear of Smell
All I hear is :blahblah:

So basically what you're trying to say is that everything is illogical so logically speaking, the most illogical thing to happen is what will happen. :rolleyes:

When they relocated Crystal City here, it was in commuting distance of the employees, and it wasn't a large move for those that opted to relocate closer to the base. Relocating anywhere outside of the capital region would result in large-scale changes (and likely a lot of employment changes) that would cripple NAVAIR, which makes absolutely no sense. There isn't another place they can make as a test-flight base nearby, so that's what would happen if Pax were BRACed.

When they relocated other bases here, their functions were programmatic in nature and it was useful to put them closer to the IPTs and test community (which was why they put the IPT out here in the first place, to bring them closer to the test community).

They used the space in Crystal City for other stuff. They found good uses for most (all?) of the other bases that were BRACed. What would they use Pax River for, exactly? If over 50% of the local population moved away (with the rest of the area having its housing market crippled and economy destroyed), what would happen to this area? Would the local government use the base as a large fair grounds? Would they try to put in a new airport (Miramar), level it for more housing & shopping since the land is in high demand (Oceana), or would the land go to waste as the entire area collapses?

Before you make asinine statements, try to use a little logic. As shocking as it may seem, they actually use sound reasoning when they make BRAC decisions.

That's all I ever read from your posts.. a bunch of blah blah blah, name calling, "I know more than you fool" and your typical... making asinine statements...

God! get over yourself sometime soon! You obviously know absolutely nothing on how a BRAC is determined and processed, so why don't you ask, listen or research instead of posting a bunch of baloney. Like a few others on here... you know it all! Being anonymous doesn't make you that much brighter or better! Climb down from your high horses! Of course you could call your forum lil gansta's over to defend your babble like usual...

One thing I'll quickly correct... a BRAC does not mean the whole Base. It could be command, directorates or activity/units! It's happened many times! There was no logic for a few activities to BRAC at Dalghren, who were under NAVSEA command.. but they are sitting in Florida today! And NAVAIR is on the radar, despite anything that you believe! Maybe you should consult someone that is familiar with the BRAC process!