New Theater

H

Hodr

Holy hell, $10 for an adult and an extra $2.50 for 3D. So much for competition driving down prices. I think that makes this the most expensive theater in SoMD.

Holy hell, $10 for an adult and an extra $2.50 for 3D. So much for competition driving down prices. I think that makes this the most expensive theater in SoMD.
There is no competition. And the fact is if people want high-end viewing with clean facilities, nice seats, etc. they have to not only pay the royalty for seeing the movie, but also the overhead costs for the rest and then there has to be profit in it as well.

flowerlover

Waldorf's $10.99 for late afternoon/evening shows and $3.30 more for 3D. Lowest pricing before 12 noon, then goes up again at either 4 or 6 pm.

OldHillcrestGuy

Hmmm. Then you'd have the over 65 crowd shouting to turn it up 'cause they can't hear it. And disturbing everyone by running to the bathroom every few minutes.

I watch my DVDs at home.

Watch it there fella, I resemble those remarks. Don't be picking on us old folks. The wife and have been going to morning showings at Brandywine, only $6.00 and the theater is practically empty. Can't wait to check the new place out.

Last edited:
H

Hodr

There is no competition. And the fact is if people want high-end viewing with clean facilities, nice seats, etc. they have to not only pay the royalty for seeing the movie, but also the overhead costs for the rest and then there has to be profit in it as well.

I wouldn't say no competition, but I may have been unrealistic in my expectation of their prices (was thinking closer to $8 for full fare, + $1-2 for 3D).

I currently drive to Brandywine to go to the movies if it's something I am excited for, or if I want to do some other shopping I may hit up Waldorf (though usually just for a matinee). Otherwise I go to Lowes, or even the theater on Base.

That's four competing theaters that I regularly make use of. I understand others may not be willing to travel, and may not have base access, so that leaves only 1 competing theater. But it's not exactly an empty market.

I wouldn't say no competition, but I may have been unrealistic in my expectation of their prices (was thinking closer to $8 for full fare, + $1-2 for 3D).

I currently drive to Brandywine to go to the movies if it's something I am excited for, or if I want to do some other shopping I may hit up Waldorf (though usually just for a matinee). Otherwise I go to Lowes, or even the theater on Base.

That's four competing theaters that I regularly make use of. I understand others may not be willing to travel, and may not have base access, so that leaves only 1 competing theater. But it's not exactly an empty market.
The Brandywine theater ticket price for an evening showing is $9.50 so I'm not sure why $10 is a shocker. I do know that it makes zero sense to me to drive to Brandywine to see the same movie just to save .50 per ticket so that's why I don't consider them to be competition. As for Lowes, I have no clue what their evening ticket prices are anymore because I've stopped going to that hole of a theater years ago as it made more sense to wait for something to come out on DVD or cable rather than see it there. Let's say they only charge $7 a ticket. If I'm going out on for a "date night" I'd much rather pay the extra $3 a ticket for the upgrades available in the new theater as that price difference is less than a cup of Starbucks coffee so I don't consider Lowes competition. I'm willing to bet my way of thinking aligns with the majority which means folks in our area are not going to bat an eye at $10 per ticket if they are in the market for seeing a movie in a theater.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Is it $20 for 2 sodas and a popcorn like in Waldorf?

I went on Saturday. $14 for a large popcorn and 2 large sodas, don't remember prices for the other combos. :shrug: seems on par with the usual overcharging for food and drink at the movies.

wubbles

I went on Saturday. $14 for a large popcorn and 2 large sodas, don't remember prices for the other combos. :shrug: seems on par with the usual overcharging for food and drink at the movies.

It's real messed up that my first reaction to that price was that it was cheap. I have been going to Waldorf or the Hoffman Center for all my movies lately because I don't want 25 extra commentators like at the Lexington Park theater.

PeoplesElbow

How are the seats? The ones at the theater in the park are too small for someone that is 6'5" in height and width.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
How are the seats? The ones at the theater in the park are too small for someone that is 6'5" in height and width.

Well, I'm only 5' but I thought they were super roomy and comfortable. They rock but not recline, not as big as Waldorf but way better than the Park.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Well, I'm only 5' but I thought they were super roomy and comfortable. They rock but not recline, not as big as Waldorf but way better than the Park.

If the seats did recline, folks might fall asleep while watching the movie they paid $10 to see; or however much admission is now.

Jayn

Jay
Hey I was just wondering, would the sts bus drop someone off and pick them up at the entrance from the road or..