New to Calvert. What are the best restaurants/bars in town?

dmpitta1987

I recently moved to Ches beach after spending 10 years in Montgomery County/Northern Virginia. So far I love it here but I don't have many contacts and am still trying to figure out the best spots to frequent. My gf and I enjoy going to happy hours/brunches near the water, and I also like to have a spot where I can watch all of the football games on Sundays, UFC PPVs, etc.

So far we've been to Ketch 22 which is awesome, Traders which is a good breakfast spot, and 1936 which is a great sports venue and has pretty good food. We've also been to Skippers Pier which was awesome. Haven't made it to Jerry's or Ruddy Duck but I've heard a lot about their crabcakes. I'm trying to put together a list of spots that I can take my friends out to, when they visit me from the DC area. Obviously Calvert is much different than the DC area but any options for 20 and 30-somethings in Prince Frederick, Dunkirk, Ches/North Beach or Solomons; please let me know. Thanks

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Most of the people in Calvert, who like you are fairly recent transplants, won't go to independent locally owned restaurants but instead like places like Applebee's, Chick-Fil-A, etc. In fact they get orgasmic when any chain announces it's coming to the County.

Jerry's Place below Prince Frederick-don't be put off by its location beside a tire place.
Stoney's in Prince Frederick.
Neptune's and Hook and Vine in North Beach.
Pirate's Cove in Galesville.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
There are quite a few threads on here about local dining. There is quite an entertaining thread about the Red Robin. It is a bit out of the way for you though.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Most of the people in Calvert, who like you are fairly recent transplants, won't go to independent locally owned restaurants but instead like places like Applebee's, Chick-Fil-A, etc. In fact they get orgasmic when any chain announces it's coming to the County.

Jerry's Place below Prince Frederick-don't be put off by its location beside a tire place.

Brick Bistro in Prince Frederick
Awesome ribs at Boomerangs in Solomons
CD Café in Solomons-small place with excellent food
Island Hideaway in Solomons

All locally owned and operated

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You're a hopskip from Annapolis and all those great waterfront bars/restaurants at City Dock. Also, if you want to immerse yourself in SoMD culture, Mike's in Riva is the best crab house in the state as far as I'm concerned.

@Bann , what's the name of that place on the water we went to in Edgewater-ish, where Andrew brought Stephanie and we met her for the first time?

dmpitta1987

I've heard a lot about Pirates Cove, haven't made it there yet. I've also been told Vera's in White Sands is a decent spot. Haven't been to Hook & Vine yet but just went to the Mexican place next door for dinner the other night, and it was pretty good. Also Dockside in Deale had a great brunch and good orange crushes which are our favorite drink

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
You're a hopskip from Annapolis and all those great waterfront bars/restaurants at City Dock. Also, if you want to immerse yourself in SoMD culture, Mike's in Riva is the best crab house in the state as far as I'm concerned.

@Bann , what's the name of that place on the water we went to in Edgewater-ish, where Andrew brought Stephanie and we met her for the first time?
@vraiblonde
Was it Mangoes? In Herrington Harbor?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I've heard a lot about Pirates Cove, haven't made it there yet. I've also been told Vera's in White Sands is a decent spot. Haven't been to Hook & Vine yet but just went to the Mexican place next door for dinner the other night, and it was pretty good. Also Dockside in Deale had a great brunch and good orange crushes which are our favorite drink
Pirates Cove in Galesville is very nice!
Iron Rooster downtown Annapolis (City Docks) and McGarvey's. There are tons of other places up in that area, but both of those I've been to recently.

Heritage 485* on Main Street is one of my favorite locally owned restaurants in PF, as I'd Brick Wood Fired Bistro, La Tolteca (so much better than Mexico IMO) Jerry's Seafood.

(Please be advised that dancing is frowned upon in some of these places, but I'm not mentioning any names publicly. :jet: )

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Pirates Cove in Galesville is very nice!
Iron Rooster downtown Annapolis (City Docks) and McGarvey's. There are tons of other places up in that area, but both of those I've been to recently.

Heritage 485* on Main Street is one of my favorite locally owned restaurants in PF, as I'd Brick Wood Fired Bistro, La Tolteca (so much better than Mexico IMO) Jerry's Seafood.

(Please be advised that dancing is frowned upon in some of these places, but I'm not mentioning any names publicly. :jet: )
I was just coming back to suggest that! GMTA!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Vera's is a great drinking spot but the food is terrible.

I'm a big fan of waterfront drinking/dining - when you're in a waterfront location I can't see the point of eating inland.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I'm of this generation and group of people you speak of and I don't know a single person who gets excited over Applebee's. Whenever another chain is announced to be coming to the area, we all collectively groan. Most of us willingly make the trek to DC or Annapolis just so we can avoid them. All my older coworkers are the ones loving the chains.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
This is my observation as well - older people like the predictability of the chains. Also people with young kids because the kiddie menu is a sure thing.
yes. That is exactly what my coworkers have said "you always know what you're going to get there!" like that's not possible at a locally owned place 🤷 I know one family our age obsessed with them, but their kids live off of chicken nuggets and fries or plain pasta.

Grumpy

Most all the decent places are listed, but my favorites are Neptunes in NB and Island Hideaway in Solomons.

dmpitta1987

What are some good sports bars? 1936 is in walking distance from my place so it's convenient, and they have the NFL package on Sundays so I can watch the Bills and follow my fantasy teams. But they don't show the UFC PPVs. I couldn't find another place in the area that has that and I'm a big UFC fan so I ended up just having to order it at the house.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What are some good sports bars? 1936 is in walking distance from my place so it's convenient, and they have the NFL package on Sundays so I can watch the Bills and follow my fantasy teams. But they don't show the UFC PPVs. I couldn't find another place in the area that has that and I'm a big UFC fan so I ended up just having to order it at the house.
You might check with Brick, they have a bunch of TV's in the bar area. I don't see it mentioned on their website.
https://brickwfb.com/

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why not just attend a couple of SMAR functions and ask your fellow real estate agents? Surely they are well connected to the area as much as, if not more so, than us lowly forumites. I only mention this since you've taken to advertise yourself in your signature area. Which I believe is a round about way to get free advertising and takes away Board Mama's, @vraiblonde, much need ad revenue to keep this awesome freedom loving site running. But if she is fine with it, reckon I am as well.