New to Calvert. What are the best restaurants/bars in town?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

Why not just attend a couple of SMAR functions and ask your fellow real estate agents? Surely they are well connected to the area as much as, if not more so, than us lowly forumites. I only mention this since you've taken to advertise yourself in your signature area. Which I believe is a round about way to get free advertising and takes away Board Mama's, @vraiblonde, much need ad revenue to keep this awesome freedom loving site running. But if she is fine with it, reckon I am as well.

I'm okay with small business owners having a small bump in their sig line - the TV says we're all in this together :jet:.

But @dmpitta1987 if you do want to advertise your listings, check out the Southern Maryland Online classifieds.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I'm of this generation and group of people you speak of and I don't know a single person who gets excited over Applebee's. Whenever another chain is announced to be coming to the area, we all collectively groan. Most of us willingly make the trek to DC or Annapolis just so we can avoid them. All my older coworkers are the ones loving the chains.
So you still don't go to locals in the County but go to DC or Annapolis instead? I don't know, my observation the very few times I've been to Applebee's or other chains is that the customers are indeed your generation and not mine.

As far as "not getting excited" go over to the New Businesses in Southern Maryland thread. People were so excited about about Chik-Fil-A I thought some of them were going to throw up.

And I don't care what the realtors and developers tell you, Southern Maryland is not a Foodie's Paradise, which is really what's being discussed.

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
Pirates Cove in Galesville is very nice!
Iron Rooster downtown Annapolis (City Docks) and McGarvey's. There are tons of other places up in that area, but both of those I've been to recently.

Heritage 485* on Main Street is one of my favorite locally owned restaurants in PF, as I'd Brick Wood Fired Bistro, La Tolteca (so much better than Mexico IMO) Jerry's Seafood.

(Please be advised that dancing is frowned upon in some of these places, but I'm not mentioning any names publicly. :jet: )
Nix on Iron Rooster, not all that good, Osterio, Dry 85, Carrolls Creek, Federal House (for oysters).
For German food, there is Old Stein Inn in Mayo

You all forgot Ruddy Duck in Solomons - Brewery and food

lucky_bee

RBF expert
So you still don't go to locals in the County but go to DC or Annapolis instead? I don't know, my observation the very few times I've been to Applebee's or other chains is that the customers are indeed your generation and not mine.

As far as "not getting excited" go over to the New Businesses in Southern Maryland thread. People were so excited about about Chik-Fil-A I thought some of them were going to throw up.

And I don't care what the realtors and developers tell you, Southern Maryland is not a Foodie's Paradise, which is really what's being discussed.
you're weird :lol: I never said I avoid the local places too. Upper Calvert has a lot more options than St. Mary's but not exactly a ton to do. Usually what my friends and I do is pick an activity or two in DC/Annapolis and find a well-known local eatery nearby. The chances of me driving an hour to N. Calvert just for a restaurant are slim, but if I can pair it with something else, it's worth the drive. We have a couple locally owned placed we frequent that we love, and a majority of their customers are folks just like us. Sure, we still hit up a chain restaurant but just bc I'm eating Red Robin doesn't mean I'm orgasmic over it, it's bc we wanted a quick meal that was close to my son's taekwondo lessons. One can be excited for chic fil a, and also be just as excited for a new brew-pub. And @vraiblonde back me up here, you know my age. I wouldn't call it a minority on this site, but folks commenting on New Business in Southern Maryland are still typically a generation or two above mine and the OPs.

And I won't argue that SoMD is not a Foodie's Paradise. We got a couple nice places. Yea, about it. Guy Fierri is not visiting anytime soon, but I'd prefer it that way :lol:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
you're weird :lol: I never said I avoid the local places too. Upper Calvert has a lot more options than St. Mary's but not exactly a ton to do. Usually what my friends and I do is pick an activity or two in DC/Annapolis and find a well-known local eatery nearby. The chances of me driving an hour to N. Calvert just for a restaurant are slim, but if I can pair it with something else, it's worth the drive. We have a couple locally owned placed we frequent that we love, and a majority of their customers are folks just like us. Sure, we still hit up a chain restaurant but just bc I'm eating Red Robin doesn't mean I'm orgasmic over it, it's bc we wanted a quick meal that was close to my son's taekwondo lessons. One can be excited for chic fil a, and also be just as excited for a new brew-pub. And @vraiblonde back me up here, you know my age. I wouldn't call it a minority on this site, but folks commenting on New Business in Southern Maryland are still typically a generation or two above mine and the OPs.

And I won't argue that SoMD is not a Foodie's Paradise. We got a couple nice places. Yea, about it. Guy Fierri is not visiting anytime soon, but I'd prefer it that way :lol:
I'm not sure that Gordon Ramsey was able to help save Lowery's in Tappahannock. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Did anyone mention the Ruddy Duck ?
I used to love the RD. When my husband was home recently, we only had one meal out and it was at the RD. They have scaled their menu back considerably- understandable- but we always start with the spinach and artichoke dip as an appetizer. They used to make their own potato chips, too. Sadly, it's no longer on the menu. I love their onion rings but they have too much kick for my husband.
Our meals were ok but my husband complained about small portions and we each had one beer. The total was almost $50. On a positive note, our server was great.
There were approx. 12 people working that night and less than 10 people in the restaurant, maybe a few seated outdoors.
When a group of us were in there awhile back, Carlos said they would likely close that location. I'm sorry to say, I probably won't be going back.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Why not just attend a couple of SMAR functions and ask your fellow real estate agents? Surely they are well connected to the area as much as, if not more so, than us lowly forumites. I only mention this since you've taken to advertise yourself in your signature area. Which I believe is a round about way to get free advertising and takes away Board Mama's, @vraiblonde, much need ad revenue to keep this awesome freedom loving site running. But if she is fine with it, reckon I am as well.
I guess I must have missed the signature line or it doesn't show up on my cell phone.

Stillt. Tattletale-tattletale! Why don't you let Board Mommy take care of her own business?! :lmao:

Bann

PREMO Member
Nix on Iron Rooster, not all that good, Osterio, Dry 85, Carrolls Creek, Federal House (for oysters).
For German food, there is Old Stein Inn in Mayo

You all forgot Ruddy Duck in Solomons - Brewery and food
OP already mentioned the Ruddy Duck and that he hasn't been able to get there yet and plus it's in Solomons.

I'm just going to add my reviews of some of the places that are mentioned-

Personally I do not care for Old Stein Inn. It smells dank in there and it's dark and gloomy. I didn't think the food was all that great, but then again I'm not a big fan of super heavy food.

The Iron Rooster is an eclectic restaurant and right now they have a very limited menu as do many restaurants all over the place. I've been there many times, both with Vraiblonde and Frequent Flyer for a girls weekend, and then at various times in the last several years with others. In fact, I was just there this past Monday night. They are not your run-of-the-mill burgers and fries, steak and seafood restaurant. They have a very creative menu and their Shrimp & Grits is to DIE FOR. As I said, their menu right now is very limited because of all the COVID issues.

They also have the really creative housemade margaritas there. I had a cranberry margarita there Monday and it was one of the best I've had.(and I try cranberry Margaritas all over the place!)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I guess I must have missed the signature line or it doesn't show up on my cell phone.

Stillt. Tattletale-tattletale! Why don't you let Board Mommy take care of her own business?! :lmao:

I appreciate people letting me know. I can't see everything so I like it when people tell me if they see a possible infraction.

:yay:

BernieP

Resident PIA
OP already mentioned the Ruddy Duck and that he hasn't been able to get there yet and plus it's in Solomons.

I'm just going to add my reviews of some of the places that are mentioned-

Personally I do not care for Old Stein Inn. It smells dank in there and it's dark and gloomy. I didn't think the food was all that great, but then again I'm not a big fan of super heavy food.

The Iron Rooster is an eclectic restaurant

They also have the really creative housemade margaritas there. I had a cranberry margarita there Monday and it was one of the best I've had.(and I try cranberry Margaritas all over the place!)
Hmmm
Haven't been to Old Stein in a while, I think the last time there we ate outside in the Beirgarten (under cover)
My experience with Iron Rooster was limited, I'm told it's where the midshipmen go when they leave the Academy
It was busy and it was pretty late when I was there.

I'd say give every place a try. Hook and Vine was nice
Charles Street and Bugeye Grill - but I just recently saw their menu and I was a little disappointed, looked like they had cut it back.
Island Hideaway is nice
Now for drinks and an evening out, Titki Bar has upped their game a bit, the adult beverages they serve are not in my normal wheel house, but they added food and music. IMHO they upped the game during COVID.
Personally I've never been impressed with Boomerangs, I know some people rave about it.
The only place I can recommend in PF is The Brick. Good bar and food.
Haven't tried some of the other places.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Well, because to me it slapped of being wrong. Plus, I've never seen any other user here do such a thing. In addition, running a business myself, these things kinda pop up on my radar as something I myself would not accord. ~ Unless asked like if I had a cork-board for business cards for people to post on. And though I can be quite the ass here at times, I do respect and look out for others.

Bann

PREMO Member
My experience with Iron Rooster was limited, I'm told it's where the midshipmen go when they leave the Academy
It was busy and it was pretty late when I was there.
Maybe so - I wouldn't know - they're everywhere when they're out on Liberty and I barely notice them. (they're younger than my younger son! :lol:)

I like what I like and the Iron Rooster is a very eclectic type of restaurant - not the "same ole same ole". So that's good enought for ME! (Thanks to @vraiblonde, who got me out of my shell a lonnnnnnnnnnng time ago about going to restaurants!)