New to MD and Photography

AGPhotog

Hello I am new to SOMD and I am looking for someone offering one on one mentoring session in Canon photography. I have been "working" for a little while as a photography I am trying to really break into the photography business. But of course I know I need to grow and learn more first before I can make really make it. Please let me know if anyone does mentoring lessons or if you know of anyone that does lessons.. TIA :howdy:

FMarquart

Welcome to MD, OK in your post you are asking for a lot of things here...

1 - 'Canon photography' ?? Are you needing help to know what the buttons do on a Canon, or just the basics of how a camera works? (ie. exposure, ISO, shutter speed...)

2 - 'working as a photographer' ?? If you are working - is it with a paper or for your self?

3 - 'break-in to the business' ?? Not sure what you are asking for here?? Are you trying to start your own business, looking for help in a business plan, or looking for another person to shoot for?

4 - 'really make it' ?? If I get this right you are looking to support yourself by doing just photography?? You can do it but it will take a while from the sound of your post...

Do you have a portfolio since you have been 'working', if not that would be a good first start.

The CSM college offers basic photography class.

Do you have any idea of what type of photography you are looking to get into?? (that will help you decide what type of gear you should invest into)

Hope this helped a little...

Frank Marquart
FRANK MARQUART's Photos | SmugMug

AGPhotog

Frank-
I know how the camera works for the most part but I dont know everything. I dont know what you meaning "working with a paper". When I say "working" I mean I have been shooting with friends and building my portfolio. I am starting my own business I just need some help refining my skill. Yes I would love to support myself own photography alone but I am completely aware of the fact that I am not there yet and I will not be for a while and I am ok with that. I know the colleges offer classes but I wanting some one on one mentoring. I am interested in shooting people, couples, maturity, newborns, head shots .. that kind of thing. Do you know of anyone that does one on one mentoring in the area??

FMarquart

Hello,

"working with a paper" = newspaper...

I'm not sure about mentoring, but maybe try as an intern at the local papers and get to know the photographers around the area. I shoot for the County Times. I would be glad to see what you have so far in your portfolio and give you some constructive criticism...

Frank

AGPhotog

Frank-

here is my website
Ashley Gunnin Photography

and I have more on FB - Ashley Gunnin Photography-

I would appreciate the CC but please be nice I am still very green and I know I lots of work to do.

Thanks for the offer.
BTW that is awesome about working for a newspaper what a dream!!

GopherM

Darwin was right
Frank-

here is my website
Ashley Gunnin Photography

and I have more on FB - Ashley Gunnin Photography-

I would appreciate the CC but please be nice I am still very green and I know I lots of work to do.

Thanks for the offer.
BTW that is awesome about working for a newspaper what a dream!!

If you want CC on your work, visit Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin. It is a Canon specific site. In addition to getting critiques on your work you will be able to view tons of photos you can compare your shots to.