New To The Area

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
@Gilligan has more than a swelled head. Think of the Dos Equis commercial of the "The Most Interesting Man in the World" to understand this. :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
On the other hand, I am confused by the fact that y’all seem to refer to your locales by county — this will take some adjustment.

It's kind of like how you'd refer to the whole Houston metro area as "Houston". And speaking of Houston....

Monello and I travel full time, currently in Port Lavaca TX making our way toward Panama City Beach, FL. Our next stop is Kemah, so a day trip into Houston is a probability. What should we see/do/eat? We'd most likely want to stay on the south part of the city unless you suggest something on the north side that we just can't miss.

TIA for any tips!

DaSDGuy

Something I just thought of - Rt 5 goes through the College. In other areas it is posted as 50MPH (routinely driven at 60-65MPH). Lots of deer in the area so stay alert. The speed drops to 30MPH through the college and it is heavily enforced. There is a crosswalk with signage for students to cross Rt 5 and go from one side of the campus to the other. When students are in or closely approaching that crosswalk you MUST stop. They even place an officer there to enforce it. Just think as if those are your kids in the area and be a safe driver for everyone.

Again, Welcome!!

HGMilstead

What do you teach?

Hah! Ah... Jury is out on the exact courses I’ll be offering, but it will involve different subjects — a mix of math, art, etc. Undergraduate education is a big part of my interests, which is why I’ll also be doing some administrative work, too. Really, it’s a kind of hodgepodge position, but I’m Gonna keep a little quiet about it just in case any colleagues use this form too. Of course I wouldn’t want to say anything that makes them want to fire me!

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Hah! Ah... Jury is out on the exact courses I’ll be offering, but it will involve different subjects — a mix of math, art, etc. Undergraduate education is a big part of my interests, which is why I’ll also be doing some administrative work, too. Really, it’s a kind of hodgepodge position, but I’m Gonna keep a little quiet about it just in case any colleagues use this form too. Of course I wouldn’t want to say anything that makes them want to fire me!
Smart Thinking.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Being afraid to speak your mind because you might be fired doesn't sound like a very pleasant place to work.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:howdy: Welcome!

I'm over in Calvert County, and I'm sure you won't live this far out. There's nice hiking trails over here and a couple of Nature Centers, and a Marine Museum, if you get adventurous and tired of what St. Mary's has to offer. Of course, Solomons Island has a lot of night life and outdoor eating places in the summer, too. :yay:

Last edited:

jrt_ms1995

Just don't try to outdrink the college president and you should be okay. :whistle:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
If you are straight, white, Christian and male your are already at a great disadvantage......good luck

slowlane

Most of Maryland's population lives in the central metropolitan counties, which are Democratic -- partly because of the race and ethnicity of their populations. as well as urban sophistication. But the far western, far eastern, and far southern parts of Maryland trend Republican, including St. Mary's County, whose governing Commissioners are all Republicans, and have old local family surnames. All of Maryland's members of Congress on a national level are presently Democratic, partly because gerrymandering of districts by the Democratic power structure has rigged the system. Governor Larry Hogan is a moderate Republican who has tried to reduce the runaway taxes of his predecessor, and make the state business-friendly, while strictly avoiding any ties to Donald Trump.

In St. Mary's County you will find everything from Aerospace engineers, to Amish and Mennonite farmers and craftsmen, to blue-collar tradesmen, and families bearing the names of original settlers who arrived in the year 1634.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I got a "Memory" notification on Facey Place today that 7 years ago we were having snowfall with temperatures dropping.