New To The Area

frequentflier

happy to be living
A FL friend contacted me last night asking if St Mary's college was close by. A young lady she knows is moving here to teach at the college. She stated she was a little naive (and also voted for biden!) and asked if I could help her out.
I have reread this thread in an effort to offer her some advice on where she and her dog can rent. Can anyone offer more? I don't know where exactly the college is and absolutely will deter her from renting in Lex Park area.
Thanks.

jrt_ms1995

A FL friend contacted me last night asking if St Mary's college was close by. A young lady she knows is moving here to teach at the college. She stated she was a little naive (and also voted for biden!) and asked if I could help her out.
I have reread this thread in an effort to offer her some advice on where she and her dog can rent. Can anyone offer more? I don't know where exactly the college is and absolutely will deter her from renting in Lex Park area.
Thanks.
Well, if she rents in the Park she won't be naïve for very long, and maybe Continuing Education credits could be earned based on life experience?

L.P. and Leonardtown are the two closest "towns" to the college, and Leonardtown is about 18 - 20 miles away. Traffic through Callaway can be bothersome on weekdays, particularly in the morning. Probably best to find a room/rooms short term which are close to campus until she figures it out on her own.

mitzi

I saw 2 or 3 one bedroom apartments for rent in Leonardtown on Marketplace. I don't know if they allow pets.

glhs837

Power with Control
Thanks.

You should be more precise as far as Lex Park, if she discounts anything with a Lexington Park address, she could miss a lot of stuff, seeing as Lexington Park wraps around the campus goes down to Dameron in the east and to St Inigoes in the west. Everything inside that red border is Lexington Park. Not a lot to rent, but rooms and in-law apartments pop up from time time to time. As for where the college is, that small chunk labelled St Marys City is pretty much it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
You should be more precise as far as Lex Park, if she discounts anything with a Lexington Park address, she could miss a lot of stuff, seeing as Lexington Park wraps around the campus goes down to Dameron in the east and to St Inigoes in the west. Everything inside that red border is Lexington Park. Not a lot to rent, but rooms and in-law apartments pop up from time time to time. As for where the college is, that small chunk labelled St Marys City is pretty much it.

View attachment 156497
Thank you.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
We have an LP address, but the section of Willows Rd. where our subdivision sits is a pretty quiet area.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Where I live in Town Creek used to be the 'premier' area to live back in the 70s/80s. Quiet, great neighbors, mostly civil servants working on the base. When I first moved here, it was quiet and a great place. And then Rt 235 went from 2 lanes to a superhighway. Now it's frikin' loud all of the time, between the crotch rockets, diesel douches and drag racing until all ungodly hours of the night. Can't even open a window at night anymore.

glhs837

Power with Control
We have an LP address, but the section of Willows Rd. where our subdivision sits is a pretty quiet area.

Pretty quiet down here, smallest lot on the street is a bit over 3 acres. Owls and foxes at night make a bit of racket. Some weekends feature a lot of gunfire from area homes, but it's all target shooting on private property.

BOP

Coming from Houston to St. Mary's, you are in for a big shock and lifestyle change.

What will ease your transition is living in the south part of the county so your work commute will be a breeze. Rush hour on 235 will seem laughable compared to what you're probably used to, but every little thing helps.

I'm trying to come up with positive comments but.....yeah. All I can say is you're in for a big shock and lifestyle change.

Welcome and I wish you the best :howdy:
No doubt. I lived in that weird area where far west Houston, west Houston, and southwest Houston kind of came together. Since I worked construction in north Houston, out by the airport, it was easiest for me to hit the Katy Freeway to the 610 loop and drive north. I only got away with a minimal commute because we were on the jobsite at oh-dark-thirty, and because it was so hot and humid during the midddle of the day, we knocked off around 13:00, at the latest. Another hour and the traffic started to build, and by 15:00, virtually every surface street, highway, and byway were bumper-to-bumper.

Of course this was back in the late '70s/early '80s, when there were 6 million people in and around Harris County, on account of the oil boom, just before the bottom fell out in, what, '81, '82? I think that's when I left and went to Los Angeles.

I used to deliver pizza at night for Big Wheel Pizza (probably defunct), but late enough that the traffic wasn't too awful bad. The crime, on the other hand, was bad enough that I carried a stagecoach shotgun and an armed partner in my truck. Good money and free pizza and sodas at the end of our shift.

HGMilstead

No doubt. I lived in that weird area where far west Houston, west Houston, and southwest Houston kind of came together. Since I worked construction in north Houston, out by the airport, it was easiest for me to hit the Katy Freeway to the 610 loop and drive north. I only got away with a minimal commute because we were on the jobsite at oh-dark-thirty, and because it was so hot and humid during the midddle of the day, we knocked off around 13:00, at the latest. Another hour and the traffic started to build, and by 15:00, virtually every surface street, highway, and byway were bumper-to-bumper.

Of course this was back in the late '70s/early '80s, when there were 6 million people in and around Harris County, on account of the oil boom, just before the bottom fell out in, what, '81, '82? I think that's when I left and went to Los Angeles.

I used to deliver pizza at night for Big Wheel Pizza (probably defunct), but late enough that the traffic wasn't too awful bad. The crime, on the other hand, was bad enough that I carried a stagecoach shotgun and an armed partner in my truck. Good money and free pizza and sodas at the end of our shift.

it’s so nice to read familiar street names and locales mentioned! traffic has not been horrendous for us here — but we live and work in the loop — and crime, too, has been a non issue (then again we live in low crime areas of the inner loop).

Reactions: BOP

BOP

it’s so nice to read familiar street names and locales mentioned! traffic has not been horrendous for us here — but we live and work in the loop — and crime, too, has been a non issue (then again we live in low crime areas of the inner loop).
Most areas of Houston were/are fairly low crime. Other areas (and I think we know which wards we're talking about), not so much. My buddy and I actually had a HPD run us out of the 5th ward early one evening, just after sundown. He was a black guy. Asked us what we were doing, where we were going, said something like "You fellas need to get gone. You're the wrong color in the wrong part of town, at the wrong time of day."

HGMilstead

Most areas of Houston were/are fairly low crime. Other areas (and I think we know which wards we're talking about), not so much. My buddy and I actually had a HPD run us out of the 5th ward early one evening, just after sundown. He was a black guy. Asked us what we were doing, where we were going, said something like "You fellas need to get gone. You're the wrong color in the wrong part of town, at the wrong time of day."

this sounds familiar. although some parts of these wards have improved / gentrified, 5th is still largely unsafe imo. fun story: when I first moved to houston I was busy exploring lots of places via bike and one sunday morning found myself in a part of town where everyone was a young black male and there were two groups: on one side of the street all were wearing red and on the other all were wearing blue. cant rule out the possibility that this was more sports-related than anything, but i pedaled my privileged, lilly white ass out of there in a hurry

Reactions: BOP

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
there were two groups: on one side of the street all were wearing red and on the other all were wearing blue. cant rule out the possibility that this was more sports-related than anything,

Urban Combat Handgun competition. They have them all the time. You can get special training for that too.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Well, if she rents in the Park she won't be naïve for very long, and maybe Continuing Education credits could be earned based on life experience?

L.P. and Leonardtown are the two closest "towns" to the college, and Leonardtown is about 18 - 20 miles away. Traffic through Callaway can be bothersome on weekdays, particularly in the morning. Probably best to find a room/rooms short term which are close to campus until she figures it out on her own.
I think if she's a Biden voter she should want to live in Patuxent Homes, her people