New Traffic Cam Beta Preview

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
Patron
I just put up a new Beta of our New Traffic Cameras page

http://somd.com/traffic-cameras/

I won't give away any of the details, you can see for yourself. There are still some graphics to be completed, but I need to do storm prep right now.

Thought this might come in handy with the upcoming storm...

It does require Adobe Flash and Javascript to function properly. But, this is beyond our control. I did just lodge an inquiry with the SHA regarding when they plan to implement HTML5 video; and explained the security issues with Flash that have resulted in many people removing it from their computers.

Constructive suggestions are always welcome.

P.S. This is going to be more effective on a large screen computer as opposed to a mobile device IMO, and probably won't function in most mobile devices anyway due to the Flash requirement.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
Patron
Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated. :)

I'm surprised they don't have any cameras in Prince Frederick or further north near 4 and 301.

I had 10 cameras going at the same time and it seemed to perform pretty well.

DoWhat

Sexy Stud
PREMO Member
Here's a screen capture, using the 'PAXRVR' filter which shows the 5 respective cameras all running concurrently...
I will have to check to see this if this works on NMCI, when I get back to work next Monday.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Two thumbs up! I really like the fact that there are not a whole lot of people on the roads today.

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
Patron
UPDATE: I experimented to see if the cameras work on my Samsung 10" android-based tablet. They will work with the Chrome browser, but it seems to be the only one. I was able to see 4 cams concurrently.

I also received a nice reply back from the Md. CHART Applications Manager on Saturday. He said they were aware of the security issues with Flash and because of my reminder, they are going to look at their schedule and program a solution. Anyone's guess as to how long this will take. But, I feel for them. Internet standards have been evolving at a very fast pace these past few years. We 'seem' to be at a place where things have stabilized. Hopefully, HTML5 video will be a stable solution for years to come.

Attachments

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
Patron
Two thumbs up! I really like the fact that there are not a whole lot of people on the roads today.
You missed what I saw. Last night, at Chancellors Run road and MD-235, a car came around that right turn lane by Sheetz to head S on 235. He was going fast and bounced off the median like a pool ball and then got stuck. Someone came along and pushed him by hand and then he fish tailed down 235 for as far as I could see him.

At the same exact time, another car who trying to do a U-Turn on 235 at the same location got stuck because of the high snow in the center lanes. By a stroke of luck there was a car full of guys behind them and 3 guys got out and managed to get him moving after a few minutes.

I can see being out in a 4x4, but a 2WD, low riding car??