New Year's Day 2006: delayed by a second

"Enjoy New Year's Eve a second longer," the institute said in an explanatory notice. "You can toot your horn an extra second this year."

So you can smooch a whole second longer also :love:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
willie said:
That damn moon caused all this grief.
I've read that the moon's gravitational pull is gradually slowing down the earth's rotation, and that the moon is gradually pulling away from the earth.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Tonio said:
I've read that the moon's gravitational pull is gradually slowing down the earth's rotation, and that the moon is gradually pulling away from the earth.
We're Doomed! .......... We're all dooooooooooooomed!

tirdun

staring into the abyss
Kyle said:
We're Doomed! .......... We're all dooooooooooooomed!

Yes. Eventually... Very eventually.

We're slowing down and the moon is getting gradually closer.

The earth's speed changes by about 20 seconds per million years, however in relation to the atomic clock at it slows at 2 milliseconds per day, partly because we're slowing down and partly because of the timing of the atomic clock.

http://maia.usno.navy.mil/eo/leapsec.html

Steve

Enjoying life!
Article said:
Deciding when to introduce a leap second is the responsibility of the International Earth Rotation and Reference Systems Service...
I bet these guys are fun at parties.

SamSpade

tirdun said:
Yes. Eventually... Very eventually.

We're slowing down and the moon is getting gradually closer.

The earth's speed changes by about 20 seconds per million years, however in relation to the atomic clock at it slows at 2 milliseconds per day, partly because we're slowing down and partly because of the timing of the atomic clock.

http://maia.usno.navy.mil/eo/leapsec.html
No, the moon IS actually drifting away, and it is not just theoretical - it's actually *measured* by laser ranging. It's moving away at about about 38 mm a year.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
SamSpade said:
No, the moon IS actually drifting away, and it is not just theoretical - it's actually *measured* by laser ranging. It's moving away at about about 38 mm a year.

gah, sorry: brain lock moment.