New York in July question

catlingirl

Hi my daughter and I are going to New York in July to Madison Garden and the Javitts Convention Center, can anyone recommend a hotel near Penn Station? I looked on google but I know absolutely nothing about the area. Thanks

TCROW

Hotel Pennsylvania is a definite NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hotel Pennsylvania is fine as long as you don’t get the “internet-only” rooms. Call them directly at 212-PEnnsylvania-6-5-oh-oh-oh and ask for a renovated room. Don’t book over the internet - those rooms can be had for less than $200/night and for midtown Manhattan — directly across the street from Penn Station — let’s just say you get what you pay for.

Incidentally, that phone number is the oldest continuously operating number in New York City, and has a song named after it. It’s a fun and historic place to stay.

People have different standards of course, and YMMV. I travel to NYC at least monthly and my company reimbursement will cover a room at the Sheraton if I wanted to, but I always stay at the Hotel Penn in a renovated room.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Hotel Pennsylvania is fine as long as you don’t get the “internet-only” rooms. Call them directly at 212-PEnnsylvania-6-5-oh-oh-oh and ask for a renovated room. Don’t book over the internet - those rooms can be had for less than $200/night and for midtown Manhattan — directly across the street from Penn Station — let’s just say you get what you pay for.

Incidentally, that phone number is the oldest continuously operating number in New York City, and has a song named after it. It’s a fun and historic place to stay.

People have different standards of course, and YMMV. I travel to NYC at least monthly and my company reimbursement will cover a room at the Sheraton if I wanted to, but I always stay at the Hotel Penn in a renovated room.
We made reservations on a recommendation from a friend. The first room was so nasty we asked for another. The second was also, so we left and stayed elsewhere.

TCROW

Also really depends on OP’s budget. July is high tourist season and rooms won’t be inexpensive, anywhere. Don’t be surprised if you see rooms in tourist-level hotels for ~$350/night. The Pod Hotel is neat and fun - there are two locations, one on the east side near the UN and another in Times Square which wouldn’t be far from your desired area.

AirBnB used to be a good option, but the government doesn’t like them there and prices and availability aren’t great these days.

TCROW

We made reservations on a recommendation from a friend. The first room was so nasty we asked for another. The second was also, so we left and stayed elsewhere.

Did you book directly or over the internet? If you call you do have to specifically ask for a renovated room. I think they are floor 9 and above if I’m remembering correctly.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Did you book directly or over the internet? If you call you do have to specifically ask for a renovated room. I think they are floor 9 and above if I’m remembering correctly.
I didn't make the reservations, so I'm not sure.

TCROW

Finally, OP, public transit is great there and if you’re willing to stay a bit further away from that area and travel, you can find good deals. Last fall I found a good price at the Hotel Roger on Madison near Murray Hill/Koreatown. I’ve found good deals at name-brand hotels in the flower district and in SoHo. Priceline might be a good place to poke around, but have a good idea if you’re willing to take the subway or cabs to get to your destination(s).

TripAdvisor is a good place to get decent reviews.

TCROW

One final thought, OP, promise -- if you're going to the Javitz, perhaps you're attending a conference or convention. If so, be sure to check to see if there's an official hotel for that event. They often get block rates at reasonable prices.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hi my daughter and I are going to New York in July to Madison Garden and the Javitts Convention Center, can anyone recommend a hotel near Penn Station? I looked on google but I know absolutely nothing about the area. Thanks

When I go to NYC I stay in Chelsea because it's centrally located. Cabs are cheap in NYC and you can always get one if you're not comfortable with the subway. YOTEL is supposedly the up and comer budget hotel that's still pretty nice. I used to stay at the Chelsea Savoy but their prices have doubled in the last couple of years.

jg21

We always stay at the New Yorker hotel across the street from Penn Station/Madison Sq. Garden when we visit.