New York Times Op-Ed Blames Christians, Not China, For Spread Of Wuhan Coronavirus

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A New York Times op-ed published Friday is casting blame on the evangelical movement for the Wuhan coronavirus plaguing the nation.

The piece, titled, “The Road to Coronavirus Hell Was Paved By Evangelicals,” written by Katherine Stewart is filled with undue condescension and mockery of Christians that is becoming the norm among our mainstream media elites.

[clip]

“Religious nationalism has brought to American politics the conviction that our political differences are a battle between absolute evil and absolute good,” Stewart wrote. “When you’re engaged in a struggle between the ‘party of life’ and ‘party of death,’ as some religious nationalists now frame our political divisions, you don’t need to worry about crafting careful policy based on expert opinion or analysis.”

That must explain why in a bid to disarm the law-abiding citizenry, Democrats and the corporate media propped up a 16-year-old shooting survivor with no policy expertise to rally against the Second Amendment. Or it could explain why in a bid to ban air travel and meat consumption, Democrats and the corporate media propped up a 16-year-old Swedish teenager on the autism spectrum. But yes, “religious nationalists” need not worry about expert opinion.

Stewart’s remarkable condemnation of Christians is littered with the type of ignorant mockery so common in the modern media landscape today, where increasingly secular elites point at prayer as supposed evidence of religious lunacy.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/03/2...ns-not-china-for-spread-of-wuhan-coronavirus/

SamSpade

I'm not going to pay the firewall to see something this blatantly stupid - but I'm curious what the rationale could possibly be that COVID-19 has become a worldwide concern - because of evangelical American Christians?

Are they blaming them because as a voting bloc - they helped Trump get elected? I thought even the far left agreed, while they disagree with this or that strategy to combat it - they do know he didn't create the problem. It IS worldwide, and the United States is still a small part of the problem. (By the way - it's certain China's case number is huge. They simply stopped testing. That's a bit like claiming you've stopped crime by stopping arrests).

Every church I know of has stopped their services - if there are any, they're outliers. Every church I know of has stepped up their efforts to help those in need significantly. And the Tweet mocking our leaders for taking the time to pray - that usually means they don't understand evangelical Christians. They must think that these people believe they can rock back on their heels and believe God will solve it. Nothing of the sort and it's not the example of the Bible. Off the top of my head I can think of several instances where - after the believers prayed - they IMMEDIATELY got up and got to work. They didn't ask God to FIX it - they asked God for courage and wisdom. (e.g. Acts 4).

SamSpade

because Pence Mention's

PRAYING

yeah know that EVIL Feel Good Thing Christians Do

Praying CAUSES the problem? Who are they praying to, the Devil?

You know, even if you believe prayer has no value whatsoever - when it comes to appealing to a divinity -
most of them believe in similar things such as meditation or otherwise centering your mind. Group prayer functions as such in
a religious setting - it stirs people into action.

Unless you're totally ignorant of religion, in which you believe it's a vain desire to vaguely hope things will get better on their own.

SamSpade

They have to blame someone and it's not going to be their Chinese moneymen. So why not blame their mortal enemies the Christians?

I do think no matter how the press spins it in this country - China is going to pay a huge price for this. No one is going to want to do business or visit China if they can avoid it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I do think no matter how the press spins it in this country - China is going to pay a huge price for this. No one is going to want to do business or visit China if they can avoid it.

Doubtful. Money talks and that's all these people care about.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Praying CAUSES the problem?

No ... Praying instead of ONLY Scientific Solutions

those dismissive *******s Like Sapidus ....

meh people and there Fairy Tale Book ...... the same ones that would not have to balls to say they same thing about the Koran to a Muslims Face

SamSpade

No ... Praying instead of ONLY Scientific Solutions

Which - if they actually KNEW or even spoke to an evangelical, instead of the sound bites and propaganda fed to them -
they'd know that is almost never the case. When people pray together, it's always a call to action. It is lot like criticizing a coach for giving an inspiring speech and presuming it means, there's not going to be practice - or a game.

Unless it's utterly hopeless. Then it generally serves as comfort for the one praying.

I prefer this to just simple cold hard science, because science would say, slaughter everyone in Wuhan (at the beginning).
Kill the infected. Burn the bodies.