NFL OT idea...

Otter

Nothing to see here
...has anyone suggested simply not allowing field goals in OT?

Keep OT as it is with the exception that if the winner of the coin flip scores on the first drive, the other team gets 1 drive to try to tie it or win it.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Keep OT as it is with the exception that if the winner of the coin flip scores on the first drive, the other team gets 1 drive to try to tie it or win it.

That's what I like. Each team gets a possesion. Kind of like with baseball OT.

Zguy28

That's what I like. Each team gets a possesion. Kind of like with baseball OT.
I like this only if the other team scores on their first drive.

Personally, I think they should just play a full extra quarter and the winner is the winner.

RPMDAD

I like this only if the other team scores on their first drive.

Personally, I think they should just play a full extra quarter and the winner is the winner.

Zguy I agree with you about playing a full extra quarter, have never liked the sudden death best field goal kicker wins ending

Rael

Supper's Ready
...has anyone suggested simply not allowing field goals in OT?
Generations of past, present, and future kickers just screamed simultaneously at the notion, :lol: but I bet there are plenty of coaches who wouldn't mind benching kickers in O/T (except for the impact it would have on every other player). I think this would be a costly and time consuming solution as well.

I don't mind this. They stated on nfl.com that ~60% of teams winning the coin toss win. This would probably even that out a bit. But they have to keep sudden death IMO.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ok...

...how about this? Leave scoring as is, FG's, etc.

The home team gets the ball first in OT, a regular home field advantage in the regular season and a big reward for earning home field advantage in the playoffs?

Otter

Nothing to see here
...how about this? Leave scoring as is, FG's, etc.

The home team gets the ball first in OT, a regular home field advantage in the regular season and a big reward for earning home field advantage in the playoffs?

I hate ties, I think the game should continue as semi-sudden death until someone wins. Semi-sudden death = If team wins coin flip and scores on 1st possession, other team gets one drive to tie it back up or win.

After that, who ever scores, wins.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I hate that rule..I don't know what it is but it seems like the game reverts to an exhibition after 60 minutes of football.

well then what about instead of getting it at a certain spot each time just gets the ball an equal number of times?

Everyone is popping out the idea of making sure that the coin-toss loser gets the ball at least once. I see that making some sort of an impact, but the team who WINS the coin toss still has the advantage in overtime unless each team gets the ball an equal amount of times. It's an improvement but it's still a lot decided on the coin-flip.

Otter

Nothing to see here
well then what about instead of getting it at a certain spot each time just gets the ball an equal number of times?

Everyone is popping out the idea of making sure that the coin-toss loser gets the ball at least once. I see that making some sort of an impact, but the team who WINS the coin toss still has the advantage in overtime unless each team gets the ball an equal amount of times. It's an improvement but it's still a lot decided on the coin-flip.

Exactly, the toss-loser gets one shot at winning/tying if the toss-winner scores on their initial possession. After that, the game continues as normal until someone scores. No limit on quarters played, you play til someone wins.

I don't like, and never have, the idea of spotting the ball at the 20,30,whatever, instead of kicking off. Special team play, other than the FG unit, should be part of OT.

Zguy28

Exactly, the toss-loser gets one shot at winning/tying if the toss-winner scores on their initial possession. After that, the game continues as normal until someone scores. No limit on quarters played, you play til someone wins.

I don't like, and never have, the idea of spotting the ball at the 20,30,whatever, instead of kicking off. Special team play, other than the FG unit, should be part of OT.
It would definitely encourage teams to go for a Touchdown instead of the easy Field Goal.

LastSon

Man of Tomorrow
The change they're proposing is pretty pointless when you take into account that since 1958, of the 27 NFL playoff games that have gone to OT, 22 of them both teams got at least one shot with the ball.