6. Johnny Unitas
7. Reggie White
8. Peyton Manning
9. Don Hutson
10. Dick Butkus

You can see the whole list here.

NFL.com | NFL Top 100 | Tracker

Debate!

Sammy Baugh comes in at #14. I thought he could have been higher.

I think Brett Favre is a little high at #20.

I think Meon Sanders is too high at #34.

I thought Joe Namath was just above average to be in the top 100 at #100.

Otter

Nothing to see here
Elway at 20something is a farce..The majority of his years, he was leading an otherwise average team to the playoffs or superbowl. I've said this before, and I despise Elway, he did more with less than any QB I've ever seen. Montana, caught the perfect wave in SF, I wouldn't rate him at 4, I'd have him at 10-20.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I wonder what the criteria was?

I mean, Jerry Rice is easy; longevity, records, excellence over time, quality as a team mate.

Gale Sayers, is an all timer but, he didn't have much of a career length and postulating out what would have happened had he played 10 years simply can't be done with the NFL; you either lasted a long time or you didn't.

So, that said, Sayers is certainly a top pick if we are talking who do you want for one game.

I had fun going position by position and picking my choice vs. the #1 at that position.

My team, who I'd draft hoping to get 10 years out of;

qb Sonny Jurgenson (not even on list)

rb Earl Campbell, Jim Brown (neither who played 10 years)

wr Charlie Taylor (not on list) Jerry Rice

te Kellen Winslow

c webster

g Russ Grimm (not on list) Upshaw

t Munoz and Shell

Defense

t Page and Dave Butz (not on list)

e White and Smith

lb Taylor, Lambert and Wilber Marshall (not on list)

db Lott, Haynes, Dion and Palomalu (not on list)

k Vinateri

p Mike Bragg

:popcorn:

:buddies:

Elway at 20something is a farce..The majority of his years, he was leading an otherwise average team to the playoffs or superbowl. I've said this before, and I despise Elway, he did more with less than any QB I've ever seen. Montana, caught the perfect wave in SF, I wouldn't rate him at 4, I'd have him at 10-20.

I agree, Elway's always seemed a little underrated to me and Montana's always seemed a little overrated.

I also think Rice is overrated at #1 and in general. If we're talking lifetime accomplishments, sure, he's at the top or very close - but a lot of that is the result of playing for so long. He may be the best receiver of all time, but I wouldn't say he's the best player of all time. He just didn't have as large an impact on a game as some others. If I got to pick one player, in their prime, to play on my team in a game tomorrow, I surely wouldn't pick Rice - even if I couldn't pick a quarterback. I'd take Brown ahead of him without even having to think about it, and I could probably come up with a fair sized list of others I'd take ahead of him as well.

Great player, but not the greatest ever.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I agree, Elway's always seemed a little underrated to me and Montana's always seemed a little overrated.

I also think Rice is overrated at #1 and in general. If we're talking lifetime accomplishments, sure, he's at the top or very close - but a lot of that is the result of playing for so long. He may be the best receiver of all time, but I wouldn't say he's the best player of all time. He just didn't have as large an impact on a game as some others. If I got to pick one player, in their prime, to play on my team in a game tomorrow, I surely wouldn't pick Rice - even if I couldn't pick a quarterback. I'd take Brown ahead of him without even having to think about it, and I could probably come up with a fair sized list of others I'd take ahead of him as well.

Great player, but not the greatest ever.

I think Jerry Rice could still play today and run routes better than most WR's in the league today.

donbarzini

Number #1?:

Two words:

Walter Payton

Edit: Just saw Larry's list, so I'll play along

qb Johnny Unitas

rb Walter Payton(who would have happily blocked for) Jim Brown

wr Jerry Rice, Cliff Branch

te Kellen Winslow

c Otto

g Russ Grimm John Hannah

t Munoz and Shell

Defense

t Page and Merlin Olsen

e Carl Eller and Deacon Jones

lb Taylor, Butkus and Singletary

db Lott and Ken Houston, Haynes and Willie Brown

k Vinateri

p Ray Guy

Last edited:

angelbaby

Totally agree with Jerry Rice being #1. He is and always will be the best WR in the NFL. Period.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I think Jerry Rice could still play today and run routes better than most WR's in the league today.

Agreed. He would make at least one catch before someone puts him in a body bag.

For the record, I think Dan Marino is underrated. He revolutionized the QB position for guys like Peyton Manning. He got better stats than the current QBs in a passer friendly NFL. You have to look not only at overall stats, but the era they played in based on rule changes and whatnot.

He may be able to, but that doesn't mean I'd rank him #1 all time among NFL players. Again, if we're just talking accomplishments (e.g. stats) - maybe. But, as a player on the field, he's not at the top of the list in my opinion. He was very good, but there are some I'd take ahead of him if I needed to go play a game today (or go play a season).

Terry Bradshaw is only #50?????

Who created this list?

Only? :lol:

Bradshaw was a good player, but I wouldn't rank him among the Top 10 (or probably even 20) quarterbacks. He was the quarterback for 4 Super Bowl winning teams, that's what's great about Bradshaw and why he's so highly regarded. He deserves that credit, but it's not because he was a great player considered individually.