NHL Offseason/Free Agency

Baz

This. ------------------>
Figured I'd start a new thread.

As discussed in the Jagr :)burning:) thread, Flyers mixing it up by getting Jagr :)burning:) and Talbot.

Say goodbye to Varly, Caps fans.

Avalanche acquire goaltender Varlamov from Capitals for picks

The Colorado Avalanche have acquired goalie Semyon Varlamov from the Washington Capitals in exchange for draft picks.

The Capitals will receive the Avalanche's first-round pick in 2012 and a second-rounder in either 2012 or 2013.

Baz

The Caps got Jeff Halpern back. that could be a good thing. Ive always liked him.

Good move for the Pens on getting Steve Sullivan. another one of my favorites

I don't really know that much about Steve Sullivan, but I'm hearing from other Pens fans it's a good signing at 1 yr/$1.5 mil.. I hope the Pens give him #68. :evil:

Seems Caps making good moves as well, though I'm sure alot of Caps fans will not be pleased at losing Varly.

Montreal giving Erik Cole 4 years at $4.5/yr ??? Insanity.

Last edited:

Peter Forsberg

Flyers dealt forward Kris Versteeg to Florida in exchange for a second and third round pick. The second round pick is Florida's choice, either 2012 or 2013. Good he did nothing for us in Philly.

Baz

Rangers are dumb.

They overpaid much like most teams today. Kinda sucks to see Rupp/Talbot go, but these guys are "replaceable" for cheaper.

And yes, the Rangers are dumb! Just wait til what we see them pay for Brad Richards.

Peter Forsberg

They overpaid much like most teams today. Kinda sucks to see Rupp/Talbot go, but these guys are "replaceable" for cheaper.

And yes, the Rangers are dumb! Just wait til what we see them pay for Brad Richards.
Teams are looking for those 2way players not just the big scorer anymore. Look at Boston they had 4 balanced lines that just pounded teams.

Baz

Teams are looking for those 2way players not just the big scorer anymore. Look at Boston they had 4 balanced lines that just pounded teams.

You're right. 2 skill lines doesn't get it done anymore. You need the 3rd and 4th liners to grind teams down, along with a solid D.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Looks like the flyers dumped Danny Carcillo.... Not sure if I like that move. we need a fiesty agitator.

Brian Bouche to the hurricanes as back up goalie. Well at least he will know what his role is.... Unlike the philly merry-go-round our goalies ride on.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
though I'm sure alot of Caps fans will not be pleased at losing Varly.
I think quite the opposite is true. Varly wanted the #1 spot guaranteed to him with two other goaltenders worthy of the #1 spot in Holtby and Neuvy. Couple that with the facts that Varly was often injured and was in the final year of his contract and would have gone to the KHL.

Colorado was fleeced in this deal.

Baz

I think quite the opposite is true. Varly wanted the #1 spot guaranteed to him with two other goaltenders worthy of the #1 spot in Holtby and Neuvy. Couple that with the facts that Varly was often injured and was in the final year of his contract and would have gone to the KHL.

Colorado was fleeced in this deal.

Possibly. This feels a bit Flyersy. Falling in love with a different goaltender every few months. We'll see. I'm thinking Varly flourishes in Colorado, while Caps flipflop their goalies, as usual.

LordStanley

I know nothing
Vokoun to the Caps.... This is getting Flyersesque. Vokoun is the #1, Neuvy a solid backup. Holtby back to the minors to mature...

Well, thats the way i see it going down.

Baz

Vokoun to the Caps.... This is getting Flyersesque. Vokoun is the #1, Neuvy a solid backup. Holtby back to the minors to mature...

Well, thats the way i see it going down.

Yeah, that's gotta be it. Maybe they won't be flip-flopping after all. But then again, we'll see. At one time it seamed Varly was their guy, then Neuvy, then fans went gaga over Holtby, and now Vokoun swoops in and lands the spot.

They've got good depth there, as long as there are no bruised egos to deal with.

OldHillcrestGuy

I like all the moves the Caps made, added some more depth in experience. Think they came out smelling like a rose in the Varly deal, stealing those draft picks. I wish Varly well (not really, the worse the Rockies play the higher that draft pick will be). Losing Matt Bradley and Boyd Gordon is a wash after, signing Halpern (Ive always liked him nice to get hometown guy back, although his years left to play are few) Joel Ward, Roman Hamrlik and Chris Bourque. We should be getting a little more scoring from those guys, then Gordon and Bradley.

Last edited: