NHLnew low?

Hank

my war
Blame the fans. John Scott is far from an All Star and sorry, but as much as I can't stand the All Star game interrupting the regular season, he doesn't belong there. Cruel joke by the fans. End of story! I highly doubt that this will "kill" the popularity of the league.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Blame the fans. John Scott is far from an All Star and sorry, but as much as I can't stand the All Star game interrupting the regular season, he doesn't belong there. Cruel joke by the fans. End of story! I highly doubt that this will "kill" the popularity of the league.

You don't like it and the fans, obviously, think it's a joke. That makes ok for the NHL to screw this guy?

Hank

my war
You don't like it and the fans, obviously, think it's a joke. That makes ok for the NHL to screw this guy?

The NHL is run by a moron, so there is that.... Regardless, nobody is a winner in this situation. The fans pulled a middle school prank & the league was shifty handling this result/situation. Highly doubt it will kill the popularity and nobody will know who John Scott is in 3 months. Regardless, the dude is far from an All Star and definitely does not deserve to be there.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Deserve to be where, in the event that fans already think is a joke?
He's perfect for it. The NHL does not take its fans seriously or they'd not being doing an exhibition in the middle of the season let alone expanding it.

so, the fan react rationally as I see it.

R

rhenderson

The NHL is doing nothing about Sciott's being voted onto the All Star team. NHL teams are making personnel decisions and trades based on their teams needs and trade opportunities. This player was voted onto the All Star team by internet "nerds" - or whatever you want to call them - not by NHL fans.

Look for the NHL to place an appearance minimum on eligibility for the All Star teams next year. The player should decline the appearance. He as well as the rest of the league, players and true hockey fans realize that he is being victimized by non-hockey fans. In my opinion the NHL and the NFL should both drop the "all star game" and simply name " All Star Teams" since the defensive side of the games cannot and WILL NOT be exhibited in any such game due to the possibility of injuries to the participants. The challenge for the NHL and NFL in dropping the game is how to replace or simply forego the revenue brought in by the current "all star" formats.

R

rhenderson

The League is looking at how the trade affects the All Star event. Any conjecture that the League was behind the trades is simply conspiracy theory daydreaming. Had the league been behind the trade, they would have their position on the impacts of the trade ready to go.

Scott ranks 131st out of 151 Left Wings for scoring and 148th out of 151 in Time 0n Ice per Games Played (6 min 18 sec)

This was a three team trade, involving other AHL level players. Coyotes actually traded away two players (Eliot and Scott) to get Fournier Scott is 33 years old - Fournier is ten years younger.

NHL trade details: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797903

Scott in NHL in 2015-16: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0071662016.html

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rhenderson

The league has never said that Scott is not eligible to play in the All Star Game. So far the source of that statement is just a TSN "opinionater". As for the trade to another team or even to another conference, that is not a new situation. In the previous instances the elected player participated as a member of the team they were on when they were elected as an All Star. Therefore, the only unprecedented element in this situation is the assignment to the AHL. That action by the new team is easily reversible by simply bringing him back to the NHL level for the duration of the All Star event.

The sad part of this is that a player, through no fault of their own is being put into a position where they stand to be humiliated on a international stage. John Scott worked hard to attain success as a professional hockey player. A 6' 8" , 260 lb enforcer is not likely to fare well in a 3 on 3 format where normal defensive play is not feasible.

Hank

my war
The league has never said that Scott is not eligible to play in the All Star Game. So far the source of that statement is just a TSN "opinionater". As for the trade to another team or even to another conference, that is not a new situation. In the previous instances the elected player participated as a member of the team they were on when they were elected as an All Star. Therefore, the only unprecedented element in this situation is the assignment to the AHL. That action by the new team is easily reversible by simply bringing him back to the NHL level for the duration of the All Star event.

The sad part of this is that a player, through no fault of their own is being put into a position where they stand to be humiliated on a international stage. John Scott worked hard to attain success as a professional hockey player. A 6' 8" , 260 lb enforcer is not likely to fare well in a 3 on 3 format where normal defensive play is not feasible.

It also sucks that he is taking away the slot of someone that truly deserves to be there. I actually like the All-Star game & skills competitions, I just don't like it in the middle of the season. I'm sure a large percentage of hockey fans like it as well and obviously the knucklehead "fans" did most of the voting. Whether it was in protest of the actual game or the fact that it interrupts the season, I have no clue.

Hank

my war
Deserve to be where, in the event that fans already think is a joke?
He's perfect for it. The NHL does not take its fans seriously or they'd not being doing an exhibition in the middle of the season let alone expanding it.

so, the fan react rationally as I see it.

I changed my mind about Scott. After seeing interviews with him, I like the guy. He has a passion for the game & he represents the non-flashy "blue collar" player... Reports are that his All-Star jersey sold out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I changed my mind about Scott. After seeing interviews with him, I like the guy. He has a passion for the game & he represents the non-flashy "blue collar" player... Reports are that his All-Star jersey sold out.

You're a better person for it. :buddies: