Nickel Allergy

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Yeah, I know. :roflmao:

After having worn my engagement and wedding rings 24/7 for about 5 years I seem to have developed an allergy. Luckily I haven't reacted to things like belt buckles or the buttons on my jeans, so it's probably from prolonged exposure to just the rings. I took them off last night and have a lovely pinkish blistery mark circling my finger. It hasn't gotten any worse, but I'm not sure that it's gotten any better either. My question is this - has anyone had a similar reaction and were you able to resume wearing your rings once it cleared up? I intend to limit wearing them to just during the day, but I'd be sad if I had to stop wearing them entirely.

And no, I haven't seen a doctor at this point (self diagnosis is the wave of the future!!!), because I wouldn't be able to be seen today anyways, and if it clears up on it's own this weekend I'll be good to go. I don't want to expose myself to any sickies in waiting rooms unless I have to.

After having worn my engagement and wedding rings 24/7 for about 5 years I seem to have developed an allergy. Luckily I haven't reacted to things like belt buckles or the buttons on my jeans, so it's probably from prolonged exposure to just the rings. I took them off last night and have a lovely pinkish blistery mark circling my finger. It hasn't gotten any worse, but I'm not sure that it's gotten any better either. My question is this - has anyone had a similar reaction and were you able to resume wearing your rings once it cleared up? I intend to limit wearing them to just during the day, but I'd be sad if I had to stop wearing them entirely.

And no, I haven't seen a doctor at this point (self diagnosis is the wave of the future!!!), because I wouldn't be able to be seen today anyways, and if it clears up on it's own this weekend I'll be good to go. I don't want to expose myself to any sickies in waiting rooms unless I have to.
I've got it... it doesn't go away.

If you have nickel allergy, your body reacts to nickel. In other words, it's mistakenly identified nickel as something that could harm you. Once your body has developed a reaction to a particular agent (allergen) — in this case, nickel — your immune system will always be sensitive to it. When you come into contact with nickel, your immune system responds and produces an inflammatory response.

Nickel allergy: Causes - MayoClinic.com

tyky

eieio

I have the same allergy! Just paint the inside of our rings with clear nail polish let it dry and wear them, you will have to do so once a week as it wears off but it is much cheaper than taking them to the jewelry and having them sent off to put a protector coat on them

More from that website...

Medications
Your doctor may prescribe one of the following medications to reduce irritation and improve the condition of a rash from a nickel allergy reaction:

Corticosteroid cream, such as clobetasol propionate (Temovate, Cormax, others) and betamethasone dipropionate (Diprolene)
Oral corticosteroid, such as prednisone, if the reaction is severe or a rash covers a large area
Oral antihistamine, such as fexofenadine (Allegra) and cetirizine (Zyrtec), for relief of itching

Wear hypoallergenic jewelry
Purchase jewelry made of materials that aren't likely to cause allergic reactions (hypoallergenic). Look for jewelry made from such metals as nickel-free stainless steel, surgical-grade stainless steel, titanium, 18-karat yellow gold, nickel-free 14-karat yellow gold or niobium. Avoid jewelry with nickel, as well as cobalt and white gold, which may also trigger allergic reactions. (Surgical-grade stainless steel may contain some nickel, but it's generally considered hypoallergenic for most people.)

Get rid of jewelry that contains nickel or has caused an allergic reaction. Be sure that your earring backings also are made of hypoallergenic materials.

My ex was allergic to the fake silver (or was it gold...) rings, and could only use a very particular coating offered on jewelry by HSN. Can't remember what the name for it was.....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I'm allergic to nickel as well. The guy who made my rings did a protective coat on it and it lasts a few years. You can't tell it's got anything on it. I also take off my rings almost as soon as I walk in the door when I get home. I once fell asleep in my rings and my finger was flame broiled looking the next day.

So my advice, go to a jeweler and get a protective coat placed on it. Not that expensive and really worth it, and don't wear your rings except when you go out.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
So my advice, go to a jeweler and get a protective coat placed on it. Not that expensive and really worth it, and don't wear your rings except when you go out.
I think I'll do that. I don't want to fool with the nail polish thing because I have small baguettes in the wedding band and don't want to gunk them all up.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I think I'll do that. I don't want to fool with the nail polish thing because I have small baguettes in the wedding band and don't want to gunk them all up.

I wouldn't want to use nail polish on my ring either.

However, I have used it on the backs of watches before. From this point on, since you've developed the allergy, you'll need to exercise caution with all your jewelry.

I have a stainless steel watch back, and my jewelry is either sterling silver or clearly marked as hypo allergenic when I buy it (however, that's not always true as I have had reactions at times to that).

Go through your jewelry box and toss all your "junk" jewelry. Especially the earrings.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I wouldn't want to use nail polish on my ring either.

However, I have used it on the backs of watches before. From this point on, since you've developed the allergy, you'll need to exercise caution with all your jewelry.

I have a stainless steel watch back, and my jewelry is either sterling silver or clearly marked as hypo allergenic when I buy it (however, that's not always true as I have had reactions at times to that).

Go through your jewelry box and toss all your "junk" jewelry. Especially the earrings.
Aside from the rings I usually don't wear jewelry. My watch is stainless, but I rarely wear it. Now that I think of it - most earrings make my ears itch, which is why I never wear them. Funny. :lol:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Do you ladies have reactions to the rivets on your jeans?

How about the hooks on your bra's?? I'm serious! I have the nickel allergy AND psoriasis. One aggravates the other...........

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
How about the hooks on your bra's?? I'm serious! I have the nickel allergy AND psoriasis. One aggravates the other...........
Nope, just the rings. I don't think the hooks on my bras actually touch my skin. There's that little fabric flap that separates the hooks from the skin. Like I said though, this is just as of yesterday.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
My niece does, she never wears jeans because of it and if for somereason has to we have to place a band aid in all spots the will rub he skin. :killingme
I read online that you can buy those bella bands and wear them between your jeans and your skin to prevent contact. I could never give up my jeans. :lol:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Hopefully it's not an allergy and just some funk got caught underneath and caused a reaction. I've had that happen before and it cleared up after a few days. I have a sensativity to certain metals but I wouldn't say an allergy. I can ONLY wear gold or silver earrings, others make my ears itch and inflammed. I wear white gold rings without issue. Have you cleaned, cooked or had your hands in something recently with your rings on?