Night trail riding!

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I have recently discovered (just now) that my horses like to go night trail riding....too bad I wasn't invited. Yes, my husband did not chain the backyard fence and Van Gough discovered it I am sure. I was just lying down to go to sleep when I heard a neighing horse. I jumped up to find NO horses anywhere to be found. At first I was not alarmed because we do live in the middle of nowhere and the chances of them getting hit by a car in the middle of the night are slim. As I was calling there names and shaking the can of grain I wondered....Are horses like dogs? Do they eventually come back? So I called my mom to get that question answered. When she said NO they will just wander around then I became more concerned and called the police. After searching for the last hour and a half I found tracks that lead into the woods. Well there are LOTS of woods around here. I decided to drive a lot further down the dirt road where luckily I saw a grey pony far down the street. TONIGHT I am HAPPY to live in the middle of nowhere down a dirt road. I caught Van Gough since he is the most dominant and ponied him by van 2 1/2 miles back home. Luckily the other two followed. I decided to shut the front gate so I can sleep a little more soundly.

Oh and my husband is SLEEPING never knowing that any of this happened or was his fault.:whistle: Good Night all....or should I say good morning.

ElliesMom

AWESOME!!!!:doh:

I am glad everyone got home safe and sound an that it was just a good tale to tell instead of a sad story!

IntegritysDream

haha the whinny was them saying "were free were free" as you laid down to go to sleep :lmao: Glad they are back safe and sound. I think it would be funny to see cops out trying to catch horses "here pony pony pony"

devinej

WOW that is such a scary thing! that happened to me...we were visiting my grandmother in rural VA and we brought our four horses with us, kept them in a paddock behind her house (far far far from their home). well.....the next morning they were gone and the gate was unlatched. OH GOD. fortunately there are horse friendly neighbors who had seen them at some point and called the farmer nextdoor who also has horses, who realized they were not his that were missing. we checked there, and drove around for hours....finally we got a tipoff that they were down another road behind a litte white forgotten church, and there they were just chillin in the cemetary. stood right there for us to catch them, all four of them. then we walked a LONG way back to grandma's house and bought a padlock for the gate...

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Sadie, that is a scary thing. Sounds like your gelding is a smart one. Hopefully you can sleep better tonight & you won't have to have a pony round up in the dark. :faint:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
The funniest thing about it was when I finally found them they were about a 1/2 mile away from the van. I turned the high beams down and shook the can of feed. All you could hear then see was 3 ponies charging toward the van as if to say "We are found! We are found!, or cool food!" SOmething like that. I put the halter on Van Gough and ponied him by van while the two others followed in line. I am glad they are safe. There are lots of peeps down here with barbed wire fences.:faint: