Nikole Hannah-Jones mocked for claiming Europe 'not a continent,' calling Ukraine alarm a racial 'dog whistle'

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
:roflmao:

New York Times Magazine reporter and founder of the controversial 1619 Project Nikole Hannah-Jones was sharply mocked by critics over the weekend for falsely claiming that Europe was "not a continent."

The left-wing writer took to Twitter Sunday to make the odd claim, appearing driven by others' concerns over the ongoing invasion of Ukraine by the Russian military. She also referred to such alarm over people that "appear White" as a racial "dog whistle."

SamSpade

She's not wrong - Europe fails almost any measure of being called a continent except that we arbitrarily call it one. A continent more strictly defined is a large landmass whose borders consist mostly or entirely of water. By the measure we use to call Europe a continent, we could call many parts of the world "continents" but we don't.

Historically and culturally, we call Europe a continent - but geographically it does kind of fail the test.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
She's not wrong - Europe fails almost any measure of being called a continent except that we arbitrarily call it one. A continent more strictly defined is a large landmass whose borders consist mostly or entirely of water. By the measure we use to call Europe a continent, we could call many parts of the world "continents" but we don't.

Historically and culturally, we call Europe a continent - but geographically it does kind of fail the test.
I always thought it was due to it being on a separate continental plate.

Just looked up a map of the plates and it's not. :ohwell:

SamSpade

I always thought it was due to it being on a separate continental plate.

Just looked up a map of the plates and it's not. :ohwell:
Yeah, it's pretty much - well, see, WE are European, and like, they're Asian. Ok, so - what about the Russians? Ok, they're Europe. Ok, what about the Turks? Nah, you can have them. Ok, what about - Malta? Yeah, they WERE Africa, but they're us, now. Ok, Cyprus? Can we just split it? Armenia? Hmm. They're sorta Europe, right? But I guess they're really Asia.

Well what about GREENLAND? Or Iceland?

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

You and NHJ are the only two people I've ever heard of who say Europe isn't a continent. If you google "is europe a continent?" everyone from Encyclopedia Brittanica to NatGeo to Wiki say Europe is a continent.

But we now call men "women" so what the hell.....might as well toss it all out.

black dog

Free America
Europe cant be a continent, continents all start with the letter A.

Joking aside, we were taught that europe was a subcontinent of Asia, hence Euro-Asia

Clem72

You and NHJ are the only two people I've ever heard of who say Europe isn't a continent. If you google "is europe a continent?" everyone from Encyclopedia Brittanica to NatGeo to Wiki say Europe is a continent.

But we now call men "women" so what the hell.....might as well toss it all out.

I think you're using that argument backwards. By every objective measure Europe shouldn't be a continent, but it is one because it identifies as one.

SamSpade

I think you're using that argument backwards. By every objective measure Europe shouldn't be a continent, but it is one because it identifies as one.
THAT is exactly my point. We call it a continent but by any specific definition it doesn't qualify. Even more confusing is how GREENLAND is Europe even though it's clearly part of North America. Or how Iceland is Europe.

I mean, I get it. The whole world calls it one, but it really isn't by any strict measure of the term.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

After Rewriting American History Nikole Hannah-Jones Now Tries to Redesign the Global Atlas

• Nikole Hannah-Jones is apparently on a quest to corrupt all scholastic subjects.
As the crafter of The 1619 Project, Jones attempted to completely reshape and retell American history. Her attempt at a new framing of the forming of our nation ran into a snag in the form of actual, legitimate historians scorching her over numerous inaccuracies.
Not content with that bastardization, Jones is seemingly on a quest to alter another classroom topic. She has now come out to declare that our planet does not, in fact, possess seven continents.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Or, as Nikole Hannah-Jones, the originator of the racial revisionist 1619 Project hoax raved, “the white race is the biggest murderer, rapist, pillager, and thief of the modern world" who continues to "pump drugs and guns into the Balck (sic) community, pack Black people into the squalor of segregated urban ghettos and continue to be bloodsuckers in our communities."

If you believe that sort of thing is true, why not act on it?

The language of civil rights has long since been eclipsed by the hysterical language of racism and the institutions, public and private, pushing racism and racial supremacism also deny that mainstreaming racism could possibly have any negative consequences. Instead Senator Cory Booker and Kamala Harris actually worked to dismantle FBI monitoring of black supremacists.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
:roflmao:

New York Times Magazine reporter and founder of the controversial 1619 Project Nikole Hannah-Jones was sharply mocked by critics over the weekend for falsely claiming that Europe was "not a continent."

Class Is in Session! Nikole Hannah-Jones SCHOOLED After Making Brain-Dead Claim About Wealth and Jobs

Did you guys know wealth is not used to create jobs and that most wealth is just stored away by wealthy people to keep their family wealthy? Or something?

Hey, we didn't make that claim, Nikole Hannah-Jones did.

See for yourself:

You know the face you make when someone says something so impressively stupid or wrong that you're not sure if the account is a parody so you check a few times even though the account has you blocked and you have to look at the account another way only to find out that it is indeed not a parody?

Yes, we made that face.