No bath tub in house

nutz

The second bathroom is very small and only has a very nice shower (32 x32) in it. I was thinking about taking the (harvest gold 70s) tub out of the main one and putting in a similar walk in shower.
1970s tub, is it cast iron or plain steel. Either way, I would just have someone come in to refinish. About 500 for stripping, reglazing with new drain and overflow trim.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
You would be seriously limiting the re-sale ability if you do not have a bathtub. As mentioned previously, those with infants, small children, elderly, etc. would most likely pass on the opportunity to buy.
Don't forget the doggies, they need baths, too....

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I vote for at least one tub in the house.

However, if I had to choose, I'd pick a much larger walk-in shower complete with multiple showerheads and a bench. Right now I have a fairly small master shower stall and a huuuuge jetted tub - I'd have been fine with a smaller tub if that would give me a couple more inches towards the shower. But master bath is far down our list of home renovations. We also have a guest bath with a decent tub.

Pete

Repete
I'm too big. Once I get my big ass in a tub there is only enough room for a cup, cup and a half of water or it overflows. Those big garden tub spa things are the #1 waste of money when remodeling.

PeoplesElbow

1970s tub, is it cast iron or plain steel. Either way, I would just have someone come in to refinish. About 500 for stripping, reglazing with new drain and overflow trim.
It is steel, I was going to do the refinishing but I can't get anyone to do it down here in St Marys.

Now part of the reason I am thinking of getting rid of the tub is for a semi-handicapped parent living with me.

nutz

Maryland tub and tile wouldnt come to St. Mary’s? I’m surprised, should be closer than upper Nanjemoy.
Handicap puts a different spin on everything. Steps, handrails, light switches, sink height, toilet height....surprising number of little things that can make life a little easier. So with that in mind, tear out and redo and when ready to sell, tear out and redo.

SamSpade

Every place I've ever lived as an adult has had both, although in the last two, the master just had a shower. My current home has a huge shower, but no bathtub.

Problem for me is, I'm tall and big and almost every bathtub is just flat out too uncomfortable to EVER take a bath in. I would LOVE to have a large soaking tub and if I ever have the money - and - sigh - I never will - I would make sure I had one either in this house or the next one.

The good thing is, I do have a swimming pool. It's not a bathtub, but it lets me just soak for a while until the kids climb on me.

PeoplesElbow

I think I am close to having my bath redone, remove the tub for something like this.

I think I am close to having my bath redone, remove the tub for something like this.

View attachment 144493
That's pretty much what I want to do too, in the master. There's a tub in the spare. My master bath is horrible, dated, peeling.....

The thing I really want to change out is the toilet. It's an old 70s era 8", made for skinny, tiny people. But the newer ones are 9", and that would require chipping up the floor and moving the drain pipe, then new flooring and somehow replace the tile. More work than it's worth.

PeoplesElbow

That's pretty much what I want to do too, in the master. There's a tub in the spare. My master bath is horrible, dated, peeling.....

The thing I really want to change out is the toilet. It's an old 70s era 8", made for skinny, tiny people. But the newer ones are 9", and that would require chipping up the floor and moving the drain pipe, then new flooring and somehow replace the tile. More work than it's worth.
You sure about that? I replaced a 70s model toilet with a new one I picked up at Lowes and it was a direct drop in, the new one only uses 1.28 gallons per flush but it actually does a great job. I am 6'5" 280 lbs and can put a hurting on a plumbing system.

If you are curious this is what I put in, excellent toilet even the plastic seat it came with is comfortable.

https://www.penguintoilets.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=15/mode=cat/cat15.htm

Chris0nllyn

Anyone know a tile guy or company worth a damn that will actually show up?

Looking to have them set the pan and tile a 5.5' x 6.5' shower

You sure about that? I replaced a 70s model toilet with a new one I picked up at Lowes and it was a direct drop in, the new one only uses 1.28 gallons per flush but it actually does a great job. I am 6'5" 280 lbs and can put a hurting on a plumbing system.

If you are curious this is what I put in, excellent toilet even the plastic seat it came with is comfortable.

https://www.penguintoilets.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=15/mode=cat/cat15.htm
Yeah. The tank is right up against the wall. The newer toilets are about an inch deeper towards the wall, won't fit. Found out the hard way.

Anyone know a tile guy or company worth a damn that will actually show up?

Looking to have them set the pan and tile a 5.5' x 6.5' shower
I used Southern Maryland Bath for my kitchen backsplash, showroom is near JC Penny. I thought a bit expensive, but on time, reliable, good job.

PeoplesElbow

I used Southern Maryland Bath for my kitchen backsplash, showroom is near JC Penny. I thought a bit expensive, but on time, reliable, good job.
I also used them for my master bath, since I am a cheap SOB I did the demo and a lot of the finishing work like trim and painting myself. The tile installers did an excellent job on my shower and floor.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Yeah. The tank is right up against the wall. The newer toilets are about an inch deeper towards the wall, won't fit. Found out the hard way.

back when I was doing plumbing you could get toilet bowl for a standard 12 inch rough in, but also a 10 or 14 if you were remodeling and something was off

PeoplesElbow

back when I was doing plumbing you could get toilet bowl for a standard 12 inch rough in, but also a 10 or 14 if you were remodeling and something was off

This won't work?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I don'r see why not .... but 10 inch is closer to the wall ..... if the tank is bigger you probably want the 14 inch rough in

look for the cut sheet and check the dimensions and measurements

glhs837

Power with Control
Wait, how far is the center of the toilet drain from the wall? Note center, not edge.

http://pdf.lowes.com/dimensionsguides/791556105577_meas.pdf

I've installed three of these, and they are awesome. You dont realize exactly how much of your toilet cleaning time is taken up with those damn horizontal bits at the bottom until you dont have them anymore.

As for swapping a master to a shower, we did that and love it. We did a Kohler cast iron pan though and a Kohler Levity sliding glass door. That cast iron pan will still be kicking it at the heat death of the universe. Pricey, but when you factor labor required for a pan and a 100% positivity that it can never ever leak, not so much. That shower door feels amazing

https://www.us.kohler.com/us/Bellwe...ses/1029807.htm?skuId=1029781&brandId=1027726

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-...in-Nickel-with-Handle-K-706009-L-MX/203925563