No bull!

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
SAINT LEONARD, Md. — Medics and firefighters responding to help an injured person in Calvert County, Md. had to face off with a large irritated bull Monday morning before they could safely transport an injured man, Calver County Fire officials said.

Members of the Saint Leonard Volunteer Fire Department were called to the 2000 block of Ross Road around 7:31 a.m. for an unresponsive person suffering from suspected traumatic injuries, officials said. The first arriving ambulance crew was able to enter the home to help the patient. Moments later, a medic unit and engine crew arrived on the scene, bringing supplies like a backboard to help remove the patient from the home.

The crew was met by an irritated and protective Texas Longhorn, who seemed to have been affected by the lights and sirens, fire officials said.

Bull faces off with first responders trying to help injured man | wusa9.com

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Was the bull responsible for his injuries?
Had a few cases like that when I attended college in Vermont. Cow tipping was a thing. You'd sneak up on a sleeping cow which was standing and push it over. Usually the tipper was at least a bit tipsy. You then tried to escape the mad cow when it got up and chased you.

One of my acquaintances tried that one night, with the herd bull. Bull wasn't polled and "helped" him over the fence. Luckily a deputy was patrolling that stretch of road at the time, got the bleeding stopped and Fred to the hospital. 23 stitches down the back of his left ham.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You all lie. It's just an urban legend and none of you have ever done it and anyone who says they did is a liar. The interwebz doesn't lie.

And the time my brother and I did it up in Rochester NY was just a figment of our imagination.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
You all lie. It's just an urban legend and none of you have ever done it and anyone who says they did is a liar. The interwebz doesn't lie.

And the time my brother and I did it up in Rochester NY was just a figment of our imagination.

As I learned in college, alcohol produces unusual memories.

limblips

That bull must be the most embarrassed Texas Longhorn in the barn. He doesn't measure up to the other Longhorns. Kind of like me in the showers after gym class.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Thank you. I challenge someone to actually try and tip a cow, then come back and share the experience. Cows don't tip, they just get pissed when you try.

SamSpade

Thank you. I challenge someone to actually try and tip a cow, then come back and share the experience. Cows don't tip, they just get pissed when you try.
You know, I can remember all of my life living near farms and hearing the old idea that when the cows were lying down - it was going to rain soon.
So how did this idea come about that once cows are knocked down, they can't get up? Anyone who's ever been around cows knows that's not true and I can't think of a four legged animal in existence that must live its life standing because it can't get up once it's down.

I think somehow people heard that some of these animals can sleep while standing. Horses can, and cows sleep lightly while standing. Once people heard that, it became believable that they couldn't sleep lying down.

This is just one of countless "truths" that people believe because they've heard it, but it doesn't stand up to even modest scrutiny.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
You know, I can remember all of my life living near farms and hearing the old idea that when the cows were lying down - it was going to rain soon.
So how did this idea come about that once cows are knocked down, they can't get up? Anyone who's ever been around cows knows that's not true and I can't think of a four legged animal in existence that must live its life standing because it can't get up once it's down.

I think somehow people heard that some of these animals can sleep while standing. Horses can, and cows sleep lightly while standing. Once people heard that, it became believable that they couldn't sleep lying down.

This is just one of countless "truths" that people believe because they've heard it, but it doesn't stand up to even modest scrutiny.

I think cow tipping is just a euphemism for hicks. Like city people say when going to what they consider flyover country - "Say, Skip, why are you going to Iowa?" "Well, Muffy, those cows aren't going to tip themselves, ha ha." Trying to tip over a 1500 lb animal isn't something drunk frat boys could easily accomplish - if you ever go to the rodeo you'd see how tough it is to rope and take down a calf, never mind a full grown cow. Plus cows get pissed when you invade their space and the whole herd will start mooing to wake the dead and probably trample you to death.

When I lived in Pennsylvania there was a local dairy farm that had like plastic cows or whatever they were made of, and for a buck or two you could get a pic of yourself tipping one of them over. My husband at the time and I, being from Nebraska, were like, why would anyone want to do that? But apparently it was quite popular.

¯\(ツ)

SamSpade

I think cow tipping is just a euphemism for hicks.

I grew up mostly around Lancaster PA. Amish country, even more so than here. I was always at least NEAR a farm and both my parents grew up on farms, although my mom's farm consisted of a henhouse and about 20-30 acres. My dad's farm growing up had the full Monty. He used to tell a story where he was swinging on the rope to lift the hay bales and crashed into the pen where the sheep were - and landed on their ram. His father was a butcher - and in the 30's and 40's it meant what it used to mean, not some guy at the counter who slices meat.

Not much personal exposure except for field trips in school and visits to the grandparents.

It's just that the cow tipping story reminded me of an article I'd read recently that addressed - at first - the whole "you can see the Great Wall from space!". Ummm. No, you can't. You can barely see large rivers from space. I've stood on the Great Wall. My garage is wider. The writer went on to mention far too many stories that people believe - "hands up, don't shoot" - because people SAY them. My personal favorite one of late is the Sicknick was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher when we knew almost immediately that he showed no sign of blunt force trauma - and the actual cause of death has not been disclosed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is the first time I've seen someone use the little shrug guy on here besides me lolol. I made it so autocorrect in my phone changes shrug to ¯\(ツ)

I hadn't seen it in forever until you used it - that's where I stole it from :jet:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My husband at the time and I, being from Nebraska
Anita and I were stationed at Offutt from 86 - 91, lived in Papillion.

Liked it so well that if there had been a suitable job for her, we'd have moved back there when she got riffed from the Air Force in 94. My old employer woulda taken me back in a heartbeat.