No coggins at boarding facility

S

showstopper

Thanks for the list of barns to board, but I heard one in particular does not have their horses vaccinated or keep current coggins... I can't risk that. I take my horses everywhere and I can't imagine not getting the necessary care.. Any more info??- I need to move by the end of March!!

fredsaid2

showstopper said:
Thanks for the list of barns to board, but I heard one in particular does not have their horses vaccinated or keep current coggins... I can't risk that. I take my horses everywhere and I can't imagine not getting the necessary care.. Any more info??- I need to move by the end of March!!

There's not a ton of places to choose from locally. If you're willing to travel you might look further away or choose to do without some amenities. Regardless of what you hear it's a good idea to check all the barns out for yourself. Ask to see coggins and shot records if you've heard it's an issue. The rumor could have been unsubstantiated or you could prove it true, but you won't know for sure until you ask.

S

showstopper

Of course, I would always check it out myself. I am just new to this area, and I don't know what Maryland requires.
Thanks

fredsaid2

The MD Horse Council states:

Proof of testing for Equine Infectious Anemia (Coggins Test) is mandated by law in the following cases

* - When equines are being transported across state lines
* - When equines are bought or sold
* - When equines are at shows or gatherings

Like you I would not choose to board where coggins were not required or kept up to date. By chance, have you checked out the place that was rumored to be lax? Only suggesting you check for yourself so you don't miss out on a place that's suitable. There are very few barns (if any) w/ the options you asked for. Hope your research turns up a place that fills the bill for you :smile:

Link to the Equiery's list of stables by county... This is a good resource for barns and phone numbers.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
When is the last time someone saw a horse put down for EIA? Really the coggins would be the last of my worries.

fredsaid2

Pasofever said:
When is the last time someone saw a horse put down for EIA? Really the coggins would be the last of my worries.

I've never come across one but I wouldn't be comfortable w/ a barn that didn't require it as a standard yearly check. Is it so unheard of because it's been a standard process for so long? I agree there's lots more prevalent scary stuff out there but it would make me feel better with that one potential thing checked off. If a barn is willing to make it a requirement and keep it up to date I'd feel more confidant that they keep an eye on all other areas of routine care.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
fredsaid2 said:
I've never come across one but I wouldn't be comfortable w/ a barn that didn't require it as a standard yearly check. Is it so unheard of because it's been a standard process for so long? I agree there's lots more prevalent scary stuff out there but it would make me feel better with that one potential thing checked off. If a barn is willing to make it a requirement and keep it up to date I'd feel more confidant that they keep an eye on all other areas of routine care.

Vaccination is the key to keeping it down..I would want a place were horses are vaccinated yearly or bi yearly...I would rather they vaccinate then check. Some do not mandate vaccinating either..

fredsaid2

Pasofever said:
Vaccination is the key to keeping it down..I would want a place were horses are vaccinated yearly or bi yearly...I would rather they vaccinate then check. Some do not mandate vaccinating either..

Agree on the vaccinations but if you're doing one, might as well do the other. Besides, if you intend to show you have to have the coggins anyway. I've never been able to do without it.

My only point was not to take the rumor mill at face value. Check the place out, ask to see their records, make your own decision based on what you find. What I wouldn't care for might not bother someone else. There is no perfect barn in this area unless it's your own :smile:

S

showstopper

Thanks for the advice. I am going to check out as many as I can. I just have to trust that the owners/managers are honest..
I will let you know.

S

showstopper

I have to think that if a barn doesn't do coggins, say for monetary reasons, then they might skimp on other stuff. I have to sort out the gossip, there is alot of it.

fredsaid2

showstopper said:
I have to think that if a barn doesn't do coggins, say for monetary reasons, then they might skimp on other stuff. I have to sort out the gossip, there is alot of it.

If you decide the barns w/ the indoors are not for you there are other smaller barns in the area. One of them might suit. Having an indoor is super but weather-wise you can do w/o here as long as the footing is good. Another issue unto itself, it's always something! :smile:

K

Katie

My only advice is to talk to the owners/managers of the barn. I have been to big barns up in Boston, and nice family-run barns. Just go into the barns and talk to people.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
fredsaid2 said:
Agree on the vaccinations but if you're doing one, might as well do the other. Besides, if you intend to show you have to have the coggins anyway. I've never been able to do without it.

My only point was not to take the rumor mill at face value. Check the place out, ask to see their records, make your own decision based on what you find. What I wouldn't care for might not bother someone else. There is no perfect barn in this area unless it's your own :smile:
I agree with FS. Take the rumor mill at face value and check it out for yourself. It was insinuated from a previous thread that Holly Point did not have their horses up to date on coggins and shots. I honestly did not know, so I went to the source, the owner and barn manager. All of the horses, personally owned, school horses, leased horses and boarders are up-to date on coggins and vaccinated. I saw the records myself. The boarders are on different schedules, but the ones owned or leased by Holly Point are due again mid March. The rumor, I assume, was started from a previous boarder who owed money, so their paperwork was held, and someone else thought that the paperwork didn't exist. When rumors are untrue and spiteful they can lead to hate and discontent. Look at who is spreading them and wonder what they are saying behind your back. That is what I do.

S

showstopper

Rumors

I agree about leaving the rumor mill alone. However, I have found that if someone is jealous or threatened, then you get dragged into the mud regardless. I am checking out the available barns one at a time. Wow, it is a small community down in So. MD!!! Everyone knows everyone!
Thanks for all the advice!

S

showstopper

Sadielady message

Thanks for all of that, but Holly Point farm was not the barn I had been warned about.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

showstopper

Speaking of rumors, I am getting dragged into the mud already in my PM's just for asking opinions on this forum! Lighten up, people. Nice welcome to the area.

Thomas99

showstopper said:
Speaking of rumors, I am getting dragged into the mud already in my PM's just for asking opinions on this forum! Lighten up, people. Nice welcome to the area.

Alright "showstopper" here it is...I think that it is very wrong to start a thread like this. If you want to know information about people or there barns- use a private message. DO NOT put a thread up about something that is senitive to people that love their horses!

We have things called ettiquette. Besides the title is NOT a question. Its written as if to inform. Since you are new and don't want "drama" I suggest you don't start some.

S

showstopper

Whoa

YOU sent me the biased private message, pushing a certain farm as the one to go to. I am trying to get an idea what is available in this area, and I never asked for all of the specifics you gave me. I only wanted input. Free country, and all that.

Last edited by a moderator: