No Control

Caution

Well I went out and had dinner tonight with some friends and the asses just had to buy me some shots. Well I went for it. Had a good time with friends and had a ball.

Trouble was I am not used to doing that and called a cab. Took 1 1/2 hours for the damned cab to get to Solomon's after they told me 20 minutes.

Christ Southern Maryland can't we do a little better than that? No wonder there are so many DWI's. If the local govt would put as much effort in providing alternatives as opposed to busting drunk drivers we might just have us an area where folks can go out and enjoy themselves without fearing repercussions.

Sorry for the rant. Blame it on Mr. Beam.

mamatutu

mama to two
Well I went out and had dinner tonight with some friends and the asses just had to buy me some shots. Well I went for it. Had a good time with friends and had a ball.

Trouble was I am not used to doing that and called a cab. Took 1 1/2 hours for the damned cab to get to Solomon's after they told me 20 minutes.

Christ Southern Maryland can't we do a little better than that? No wonder there are so many DWI's. If the local govt would put as much effort in providing alternatives as opposed to busting drunk drivers we might just have us an area where folks can go out and enjoy themselves without fearing repercussions.

Well, I guess you won't be posting this smile :otter: in reference to any other forumites. :lol: Good on ya to have the sense to get home safe. :yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living

With the possibility of cruise ships docking at Solomons, it will increase the likelihood that taxi cabs will be more abundant in the area in the next couple of years. Service is currently quite lame in the area.

I was at the store until about 8. I would have given you a ride home if you had called! You may have had two doggies sniffing and licking at you but I would have gotten you home safely.

PS I do have a bus/transport endorsement on my CDL :buddies:

Caution

Too bad we no longer have Manny and the Island Shuttle. He was a doll.
Never took the island Shuttle nor do I know Manny. Sounds like you had a pleasant experience with him. Cool.:yay: Wish I had had the pleasure.

I called Chesapeake Cab. Told me 20 minutes but took an hour and a half. Fortunately I am not one of those that wait till too late to call and I know the folks at the Bar I was at and was able to stay inside a little after they had locked the doors.

But looking back at it it's no wonder folks gets DWI's around here. If you don't are not lucky, like I was, it's either stand outside in the drizzle or risk getting a DWI.

I am not as young as I once was. Many a night I drove home with one eye closed so I would not have double vision. Heck I have passed police officers while in that condition. One Eye shut. But now that I am older I tend not to like the idea of taking those risks. Just wish the county governments would provide a bit better suitable alternative instead of just punishing those who make foolish mistakes.

MMM_donuts

Never took the island Shuttle nor do I know Manny. Sounds like you had a pleasant experience with him. Cool.:yay: Wish I had had the pleasure.

I called Chesapeake Cab. Told me 20 minutes but took an hour and a half. Fortunately I am not one of those that wait till too late to call and I know the folks at the Bar I was at and was able to stay inside a little after they had locked the doors.

But looking back at it it's no wonder folks gets DWI's around here. If you don't are not lucky, like I was, it's either stand outside in the drizzle or risk getting a DWI.

I am not as young as I once was. Many a night I drove home with one eye closed so I would not have double vision. Heck I have passed police officers while in that condition. One Eye shut. But now that I am older I tend not to like the idea of taking those risks. Just wish the county governments would provide a bit better suitable alternative instead of just punishing those who make foolish mistakes.

I took my bff across the bridge for a night out while she visited once and we fell victim to the ol' chesapeake cab no-show. We called them at last call and then every 20 minutes after the bar closed. They said they were on their way. There was a fight. The police came. The police left. Everybody left. We were still there. So we walked down the street and sat in my car until my husband found a friend to come get us. That was a pretty sucky lesson learned.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I would really LOVE to have some sort of taxi service in this area.

If the people that are involved in trying to get cruise ships docked here (in addition to the ships that use the Baltimore Harbor- which cannot take on any more) succeed - there should be new or improved taxi service to the area.

The only place I know of that has weekend alcohol related taxi service is Veras in White Sands and they probably have a limit as to how many miles they will travel.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Manny and the Shuttle was probably a good 20 years ago. BadGirl probably remembers him.

Caution

With the possibility of cruise ships docking at Solomons, it will increase the likelihood that taxi cabs will be more abundant in the area in the next couple of years. Service is currently quite lame in the area.

I was at the store until about 8. I would have given you a ride home if you had called! You may have had two doggies sniffing and licking at you but I would have gotten you home safely.

PS I do have a bus/transport endorsement on my CDL :buddies:

That is great of you to offer. Maybe one day I'll tell you who I am and you'll remember me. ;) I once stood in your yard with my son while your great hubby took my other son for a spin up and about. You folks are FINE people.

While I had not heard anything about the cruise ships coming here. I was good for rides though. I know most of the folks that work at the Marina where I ate and could have had a ride if I wanted to impose. Just thought it was early enough to be able to catch a cab in a decent amount of time. Kinda got fooled there.

As for cabs being more abundant. Unless something changes I would not bet on that. Current regulations regarding any new cab companies are pretty strict. The Gov will not allow any to put in meters, or so the cabbies tell me. It is strictly by zone. You wanna go from California Wal-Mart to Solomon's? It's gonna be $17. Simply because Solomons is a $17.00 zone. All zones are based on drive time and gas from Great Mills Road now. Don't ask me to explain it. It's just the way it is.

Well, I guess you won't be posting this smile :otter: in reference to any other forumites. :lol: Good on ya to have the sense to get home safe. :yay:

Well I don't get accused of having sense too often. LOL I just don't like the idea of kissin' telephone poles or the front ends of other cars. I dunno. Just not my definition of a good evening.

mamatutu

mama to two
From what I have read in this thread, I would say don't put yourself in a position that you cannot drive home on your own: as in drinking too much. So, the cab companies are responsible for personal decisions. :confused: What happened to designated driver? Which I have been many times. Our fate is not in the hands of a taxi service; which we already know is limited in southern Maryland. Drink responsibly. That's all.

Caution

From what I have read in this thread, I would say don't put yourself in a position that you cannot drive home on your own: as in drinking too much. So, the cab companies are responsible for personal decisions. :confused: What happened to designated driver? Which I have been many times. Our fate is not in the hands of a taxi service; which we already know is limited in southern Maryland. Drink responsibly. That's all.

Oh I agree. But things can change when you meet up with folks you did not expect to see. I think all should be responsible but I also see that the county government makes it so difficult for the cab companies that we have no competition between them so our options are rather limited.

Try looking at the local requirements for a company to start up around here. The county puts so many restrictions on them it's almost impossible to make a profit.

But if starting a local cab business was a profitable venture I bet you the number of DWIs would likely diminish.

mamatutu

mama to two
Oh I agree. But things can change when you meet up with folks you did not expect to see. I think all should be responsible but I also see that the county government makes it so difficult for the cab companies that we have no competition between them so our options are rather limited.

Try looking at the local requirements for a company to start up around here. The county puts so many restrictions on them it's almost impossible to make a profit.

But if starting a local cab business was a profitable venture I bet you the number of DWIs would likely diminish.

You make a good point. You never know how a get together will go. You could leave in 5 minutes, or stay for the duration. I get it. And, yes, business restrictions is not something I thought about. Just trying to push my Pollyanna world on everyone else. :lol: See, this is why discussion is a good thing! :smile: Glad you got home.

frequentflier

happy to be living
That is great of you to offer. Maybe one day I'll tell you who I am and you'll remember me. ;) I once stood in your yard with my son while your great hubby took my other son for a spin up and about. You folks are FINE people.
While I had not heard anything about the cruise ships coming here. I was good for rides though. I know most of the folks that work at the Marina where I ate and could have had a ride if I wanted to impose. Just thought it was early enough to be able to catch a cab in a decent amount of time. Kinda got fooled there.

As for cabs being more abundant. Unless something changes I would not bet on that. Current regulations regarding any new cab companies are pretty strict. The Gov will not allow any to put in meters, or so the cabbies tell me. It is strictly by zone. You wanna go from California Wal-Mart to Solomon's? It's gonna be $17. Simply because Solomons is a $17.00 zone. All zones are based on drive time and gas from Great Mills Road now. Don't ask me to explain it. It's just the way it is.

Well I don't get accused of having sense too often. LOL I just don't like the idea of kissin' telephone poles or the front ends of other cars. I dunno. Just not my definition of a good evening.

Ah, I do remember you and your sons and have a pretty good idea who you are now!
Some local people are trying to entice cruise ships into docking here since Baltimore cannot handle any more traffic. There is a real good chance it could happen and would be a win-win situation to both southern Calvert & St Mary's counties.
Regardless, I have always offered to be a DD to anyone in need in the area. I never know when I may need the favor returned LoL

Caution

You make a good point. You never know how a get together will go. You could leave in 5 minutes, or stay for the duration. I get it. And, yes, business restrictions is not something I thought about. Just trying to push my Pollyanna world on everyone else. :lol: See, this is why discussion is a good thing! :smile: Glad you got home.

Ya I while in the cab talking to the driver I was thinking of how easy it would be for someone in my condition to make a bad decision. I had only had 4 beers and 2 shots but that was plenty for me. But I also know how easy it is to talk yourself into thinking you are ok to drive like that. Well I just don't go there but it would have been easy for me to make the risk for the 7-8 minutes drive I needed to make.

The driver actually handed me his price book and I was able to get an understanding of things. SM County will not allow any company based out of the area to come in and set up business. Only locally owned start ups. Well OK that is fine. But one stipulation is that can not install meters. In other words. If I were going from say Great Mills Road to Solomon's, it's going to be $17. Now If I were going from the St. Mary's side of the bridge to the Solomon's side of the bridge, it's still going to be $17.00. They go by zone area here as opposed to miles traveled.

Look in the phone book. How many cab companies do you see? There are reasons for that. Local regulations are so strict that it is hard for a local cab company to operate and make any sort of profit. Look at Calvert County, How many cab Companies do you see based from there? None. You might see someone go into business short term for the Tiki bar opening but other than that, none.

But look at the number of DWI's. Outrageous. OK Put some money, time and effort into providing suitable alternatives to folks that have a couple. Lord knows they seem to hand out liquor licenses like they are candy. Well make it easier for cab companies to turn a profit and who knows, people may actually be able to go out and give the folks you issued alcohol license to some money as well as those you issues Taxi cab Licenses to.

MarieB

Ah, I do remember you and your sons and have a pretty good idea who you are now!
Some local people are trying to entice cruise ships into docking here since Baltimore cannot handle any more traffic. There is a real good chance it could happen and would be a win-win situation to both southern Calvert & St Mary's counties.
Regardless, I have always offered to be a DD to anyone in need in the area. I never know when I may need the favor returned LoL

You think that could happen? I don't think the market and the infrastructure could ever warrant that

Caution

Well I frequent plenty of the local Marinas pretty often in my line of work. Not sure that currently any of them can handle a cruise ship but I am sure that if a profit can be made that it could be done. Heck I have even seen one of Micosoft's cruise ships park overnight at one of the local Marinas. Might take some extra dredging and some redoing of the current refueling and support stuff but I can see it happening. Where there is the potential for profit anything can happen.

mamatutu

mama to two
Ya I while in the cab talking to the driver I was thinking of how easy it would be for someone in my condition to make a bad decision. I had only had 4 beers and 2 shots but that was plenty for me. But I also know how easy it is to talk yourself into thinking you are ok to drive like that. Well I just don't go there but it would have been easy for me to make the risk for the 7-8 minutes drive I needed to make.

The driver actually handed me his price book and I was able to get an understanding of things. SM County will not allow any company based out of the area to come in and set up business. Only locally owned start ups. Well OK that is fine. But one stipulation is that can not install meters. In other words. If I were going from say Great Mills Road to Solomon's, it's going to be $17. Now If I were going from the St. Mary's side of the bridge to the Solomon's side of the bridge, it's still going to be $17.00. They go by zone area here as opposed to miles traveled.

Look in the phone book. How many cab companies do you see? There are reasons for that. Local regulations are so strict that it is hard for a local cab company to operate and make any sort of profit. Look at Calvert County, How many cab Companies do you see based from there? None. You might see someone go into business short term for the Tiki bar opening but other than that, none.

But look at the number of DWI's. Outrageous. OK Put some money, time and effort into providing suitable alternatives to folks that have a couple. Lord knows they seem to hand out liquor licenses like they are candy. Well make it easier for cab companies to turn a profit and who knows, people may actually be able to go out and give the folks you issued alcohol license to some money as well as those you issues Taxi cab Licenses to.

You just wrote a book, so I think you are ok; except for the last paragraph. :lol: I already said I agree with your point that taxi service in soMD is lacking. I think you will sleep good tonight. Sweet dreams! :snooze:

MarieB

You just wrote a book, so I think you are ok; except for the last paragraph. :lol: I already said I agree with your point that taxi service in soMD is lacking. I think you will sleep good tonight. Sweet dreams! :snooze:

You agreed that it was lacking but didn't address the reason