No Control

Well I frequent plenty of the local Marinas pretty often in my line of work. Not sure that currently any of them can handle a cruise ship but I am sure that if a profit can be made that it could be done. Heck I have even seen one of Micosoft's cruise ships park overnight at one of the local Marinas. Might take some extra dredging and some redoing of the current refueling and support stuff but I can see it happening. Where there is the potential for profit anything can happen.

I can't even imagine one pulling into the harbor there, much less maneuvering to some marina. Maybe anchor out and run shuttles?

Caution

I can't even imagine one pulling into the harbor there, much less maneuvering to some marina. Maybe anchor out and run shuttles?

I doubt they could do it in the Harbor on a regular basis. They had the one I saw at a T Head dock at Zahnisers. Ran the whole length of the T head and the bow and stern were long enough to even block the two ajoining docks. It was nighttime while I was there and I tried getting a couple pics because it was such an unusual site to see something like that in there. But I could not get it all in frame and I was so far away from it the flash on my camera was of no help in lighting it up enough to really even see what it was. I just deleted he pics later cause they were not worth keeping.

That thing was wider than most of the boats you see over there are long. I am guessing but it looked to have had a good 4-6 decks and the bridge looked to be at least 30' wide alone.

While the boats might be able to come and go without issue, my thought is, 'what the heck will all of those people do here?'. Solomons isn't that big, and certainly doesn't have the tourist attractions, restaurants, theaters, hotels, etc... that Baltimore does, so not sure why Solomons would be that attractive. Don't get me wrong, Solomons is a nice place, quaint, but can't compete with a Baltimore for a reason to anchor here.

Am I missing something?

Caution

While the boats might be able to come and go without issue, my thought is, 'what the heck will all of those people do here?'. Solomons isn't that big, and certainly doesn't have the tourist attractions, restaurants, theaters, hotels, etc... that Baltimore does, so not sure why Solomons would be that attractive. Don't get me wrong, Solomons is a nice place, quaint, but can't compete with a Baltimore for a reason to anchor here.

Am I missing something?

As far as , what I would call, a normal cruise liner I would have to agree with you. But some of the smaller one's like I was referring to earlier might be doable.

Corporate owned yachts going up and down the Atlantic Coast maybe. The one I saw was docked and I did see them coming off the boat and making use of the restaurant there at that marina. Other than that I had no idea what they were doing. I just 'assumed' they made a quick overnight stay there probably just to possibly let some passengers off or possibly pick a few up.

Caution

Well I found out who it was. I did know him, just an acquaintance though. Spoke to him everytime I saw him. Nice guy, I would give him a hard time and he would give it right back. All in good fun.

Won't give out much detail other than that he did not live in this area. He did work on the base though.

BOP

Oh I agree. But things can change when you meet up with folks you did not expect to see. I think all should be responsible but I also see that the county government makes it so difficult for the cab companies that we have no competition between them so our options are rather limited.

Try looking at the local requirements for a company to start up around here. The county puts so many restrictions on them it's almost impossible to make a profit.

But if starting a local cab business was a profitable venture I bet you the number of DWIs would likely diminish.

Yeahbut if the number of DWIs decreased, the county governments would lose money, so they'd have to find new and creative ways of ripping the citizens off.

Caution

Yeahbut if the number of DWIs decreased, the county governments would lose money, so they'd have to find new and creative ways of ripping the citizens off.

Pfft. Already being pretty creative with the Rain Tax.

meddauna

Am I missing something?

Well, Just off the top of my head for things within an hour (the farthest i've been out on a cruise line guided tour):
Old St Mary's City
A guided tour of the Naval Air Museum
Dr Mudd House
The Sotterly Plantation
SCUBA diving
Fishing
Ann Marie Gardens
Calvert Marine Museum
Boat tours of local waterways
Recreational boating activities (para-sailing, tubing, boat rentals)

A cruise ship here would bring in much needed money for upgrades for some of these, specifically, the Naval Air Museum.

And I would wager that this would be an embarkation point instead of just a port of call, so there isn't a need for tons of things since most people just try to get on or off the boat.

The one downside is the bridge. That would have to be upgraded real quick and in a hurry.

softtouch

I thought the Navy was not going to require the new bridge be high enough for a destroyer to pass under. I understand that was the requirement for the current bridge.

Caution

I thought the Navy was not going to require the new bridge be high enough for a destroyer to pass under. I understand that was the requirement for the current bridge.

I know it's 135' -140' tall from water to tallest point on the bottom of the structure. But DoWhat is talking width between the pilings. I tried to do a little half arsed search to try to figure that out but could not seem to find anything on it.

I know I have been under there in my boat. I don't see it being wide enough to handle anything substantial. Plus, they gotta make it under that bridge then be able to maneuver to a hard right to pull into that pier. I dunno. Doable maybe but not what I would think of as easy.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Well, Just off the top of my head for things within an hour (the farthest i've been out on a cruise line guided tour):
Old St Mary's City
A guided tour of the Naval Air Museum
Dr Mudd House
The Sotterly Plantation
SCUBA diving
Fishing
Ann Marie Gardens
Calvert Marine Museum
Boat tours of local waterways
Recreational boating activities (para-sailing, tubing, boat rentals)

A cruise ship here would bring in much needed money for upgrades for some of these, specifically, the Naval Air Museum.

And I would wager that this would be an embarkation point instead of just a port of call, so there isn't a need for tons of things since most people just try to get on or off the boat.

The one downside is the bridge. That would have to be upgraded real quick and in a hurry.

My understanding is this would be a place to load and unload passengers.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Well I found out who it was. I did know him, just an acquaintance though. Spoke to him everytime I saw him. Nice guy, I would give him a hard time and he would give it right back. All in good fun.

Won't give out much detail other than that he did not live in this area. He did work on the base though.

Today's Calvert Recorder identified the man as John James March, 74 of Rockville. A family member went to the marina after no one had been able to get in touch with him and discovered his body. An autopsy will be performed though it does not appear foul play was involved.

Sparx

Well I went out and had dinner tonight with some friends and the asses just had to buy me some shots. Well I went for it. Had a good time with friends and had a ball.

Trouble was I am not used to doing that and called a cab. Took 1 1/2 hours for the damned cab to get to Solomon's after they told me 20 minutes.

Christ Southern Maryland can't we do a little better than that? No wonder there are so many DWI's. If the local govt would put as much effort in providing alternatives as opposed to busting drunk drivers we might just have us an area where folks can go out and enjoy themselves without fearing repercussions.

Sorry for the rant. Blame it on Mr. Beam.

I didn't read all these posts to see if it has already been asked but are you saying you want tax dollars spent by the county to drive your drunk ass home?

officeguy

The reason there are not more cabs in St Marys (or any rural area for that matter) is that there is not enough business to make it viable. Everyone wants a cab when the bar closes, some demand early mornings to go up to the airport. Lots of dead time in between when you still need to make your insurance payment. To make cabs work in a rural area, you need regular customers like dialysis trips or courier type services for businesses where you know you make x $$ per week.

Caution

I didn't read all these posts to see if it has already been asked but are you saying you want tax dollars spent by the county to drive your drunk ass home?

I am sorry. I did not read your post. Are you saying anything? Or should I possibly consider taking the time to read something here.